The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

it was a bit later he may have seen the irony of being sent here  for stealing pineapples

The video,I saw the other day about people from the Baltic region being welcomed to Australia having English lessons including the names of fruit “including the pineapple which you will soon come to know”. Preparing them for two years agricultural labour picking fruit. Though that wasn’t mentioned in the video.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The video,I saw the other day about people from the Baltic region being welcomed to Australia having English lessons including the names of fruit “including the pineapple which you will soon come to know”. Preparing them for two years agricultural labour picking fruit. Though that wasn’t mentioned in the video.

Pineapple harvest , also known as pass the the parcel .

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It is a pleasant day here. We have to post a parcel so we will have a short stroll round the park afterwards. It isn’t exactly hilly there as it has another role as sacrificial flood plain. Hence why it isn’t a park,with pretty flowerbeds. I don’t think it will be even damp today though. 
Tony

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Fruit picking isn't so bad in comparison  - they could have been told to learn to spell  B.L.U.E  A.S.B.E.S.T.O.S. then sent off to Wittenoom like other migrants  were.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Gotta say, I had to read this a few times in bewilderment before I realised that in the olden days people used an f when they meant an s.

image.png.9091e619b8280cef84bcb98db8664d9d.png

Must've been a pineapple ring.......

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

16 minutes ago, polybear said:

Must've been a pineapple ring.......

Theres a saying here  about copping the "rough end of the pineapple" which did come to mind.

But that actually means to get a bad outcome from something. Which I guess may apply....

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

There's a saying here  about copping the "rough end of the pineapple" which did come to mind.

As a young Cub a Certain Bear used to help the local Milkie at the weekends - he had a phrase which went as follows:

"He can go **** himself with the rough end of a pineapple"

I often wonder just which is the rough end, as neither seem in any way attractive to this Bear,

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The name of an Austrian village, I believe 

No longer I am afraid.  The town sign* disappeared so frequently that the village decided to change the name to Fugging - pronunciation nearly the same .

* Perhaps not appreciated but these signs as well as indication the name of the town/city/village, they also indicate the start of the speed restriction zones in built up areas.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

I’ve now arrived in Spain - well, actually I have been in Spain for some time but have only just got through the mile long queue at passport control thanks to Brexit - and on leaving the arrival area saw something which I think was mentioned here a while ago, I.e., a Japanese gravel garden, or something similar anyway.

IMG_0001.jpeg.9c1394bc15de63fff23d0f06735d3295.jpegShame about the necessity for signs about what not to do there.

Dave

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Shame about the necessity for signs about what not to do there.

Is the far one “no photography “? I did look up Spanish prohibition signs and the only one vaguely that shape was “ no skateboarding “.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

No longer I am afraid.  The town sign* disappeared so frequently that the village decided to change the name to Fugging - pronunciation nearly the same .

* Perhaps not appreciated but these signs as well as indication the name of the town/city/village, they also indicate the start of the speed restriction zones in built up areas.

I did read a piece from the local mayor. He complained that so many tourists kept stealing the ******* sign that it had become a ******* joke and that no-one knew where the ******* town began or ended 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 14

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It is a pleasant day here. We have to post a parcel so we will have a short stroll round the park afterwards. It isn’t exactly hilly there as it has another role as sacrificial flood plain. Hence why it isn’t a park,with pretty flowerbeds. I don’t think it will be even damp today though. 
Tony

No No No you put the football pitch on the flood plain so that when it floods, usually in the winter, they can't play football on it. Simplz really or least that's what the housing developer thought.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

No No No you put the football pitch on the flood plain so that when it floods, usually in the winter, they can't play football on it. Simplz really or least that's what the housing developer thought.

If its flooded they could try playing water polo.

Or ice hockey if it freezes over...

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Quite but who marks the pitch out?

Some poor council bu@@er with long bamboo poles in an inflatable dinghy, or rubber fishing waders if it isn't too deep...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11