The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Got rid of TOGS for Challenger  2.. I renamed it TICH2 ( Thermal Imager for Challenger 2)  Barr & Macstroodle didnt like that... tough!

Good bit of kit though..

Bas

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I have just been watching a K drama, as is normal all the cars are from a certain brand, everybody eats in a certain fast food chain, whenever someone looks at their watch they make sure you can see the brand and it goes on like that (clothes, soft drinks, beer etc). However there's just been a scene where an investigator uses a camera to take some long distance photographs and they made the effort to remove all branding. Which indicates that Nikon (for it was one of theirs) told the production company to foxtrot oscar when asked for product placement money.

That said, other than bonkers product placement I love Korean film and TV, very entertaining and with very high production values. 

If its got a black telephoto it's a Nikon, if its got a white telephoto it's a Canon.

No need to pay product placement advertising fees for either!

However, I bet the set dressers would paint the Canon lens barrels black, just because.... 🤪

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

1, probably. I have only noticed potatoes mentioned but I am happy to be informed. 

2, Guess, walnuts 

3, Deli counter in Switzerland?
4, chopped tomatoes?
5, Half moon chopper.  We have one. From Alaska!
6, No idea, would have guessed a footballer without the clues. 
7, Some sort of Obstler? Aditi has a pear based Obstler in a cupboard for “medicinal use” 

8, No idea. On our recent trip to France the big thing seemed to be organic or gluten free beers made with water from specific glaciers. Still tasted like Eurolager or IPA.

9, No idea but the clue suggests turkey twizzler and chips!

10, Spinach. 

I am sure it won’t take long for someone to get more than 2/10 !

1. Both
  2. Correct
  3. Be more specific (location)
  4. Correct
  5. Correct
  6. Question still open
  7. Not quite. Question still open
  8. Question still open
  9. No, but Fried food is a further clue
  10. Correct

Congratulations Tony. You have won the consolation prize of a 4 inch thick slice of (virtual) LDC. That’s Lemon Drizzle Cake, not Less Developed Country..

The main prize of a case of (virtual) Dom Perignon is still up for grabs.

NOTE: all Captain Cynical and iL Dottore awarded “virtual“ prizes may be exchanged for the non-virtual equivalent (i.e. The “Real Thing”) by applying in person at CCI GmbH’s Alpine Redoubt (tm) Headquarters in Switzerland.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I am considering whether to order a Kato 700T set, the 700T is a variant of the Series 700 developed for the Taiwan high speed railway. The Kato model is an accurate model and not just a repaint of the Japanese train, and as you'd expect from Kato is very nicely done. It's not really within my normal bailiwick of Japanese N but it's a nice model and I rather like it. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Just watching a show on Netflix, Beyond Maximum Security, about Singapore's worst in Changi maximum security prison. Chilling stuff, these people are guilty of the most heinous crimes, taking drugs, breach of trust and breaking a court order, I never realised they had such people. Thank God they're kept banged up.

Something striking is the strict conditions of their incarceration whilst also placing great emphasis on rehabilitation. While it's no holiday camp they do seem to take preparing them to face life after prison and avoid re-offending very seriously, with programs to find jobs etc. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Congratulations Tony. You have won the consolation prize of a 4 inch thick slice of (virtual) LDC. That’s Lemon Drizzle Cake, not Less Developed Country..

I could have done quite well in a pub quiz the other day. Aditi and I were going to meet a couple of friends in a local pub for a meal. The day before, one of the friends phoned to say there was a pub quiz there and last time she had been there it was really loud. So we changed to another pub (built 1380, reasonable food reviews). The landlady mentioned they too had a quiz that night but it shouldn’t disturb us, and didn’t start until 9 anyway. I could hear the questions. I would have got zero on the football and TV soaps rounds but otherwise would have done well. I wish my recall for work related stuff had been as good as my recall of trivia. 
As for question 9 I will upgrade to Turkey/chicken/pork/veal Milanese with chips.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I also know 'DPU' as military camouflage clothing (disruptive pattern uniform - sometimes known as DPM, disruptive pattern material). Then data processing unit (IT). Not to mention point motors for shhh, you know whats, especially from a firm with connections to both Australia and Settle. 

DPU= cabbage suit.

Or

Diesel Power Unit, aka a generator.

Afternoon Awl,

Sailing sailed, not particularly well, we were up on the broad and the wind was very light...

Not helped by a very poor nights lack of sleep.

Next weekend is the 2 day end of season regatta.

My part of GEC stopped having the big speeches when they sold  off the canteen/ sports hall which also stuffed the amdram group as well as indoor sports.

After that it was just notices on the boards until they tried to get "investors in people" status , the day before the assessment they issued their first news letter.

I'm somewhat tired

Ocular shutter inspection required.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Just watching a show on Netflix, Beyond Maximum Security, about Singapore's worst in Changi maximum security prison. Chilling stuff, these people are guilty of the most heinous crimes, taking drugs, breach of trust and breaking a court order, I never realised they had such people. Thank God they're kept banged up.

We've got a few of those too; the really bad repeat offenders do 50 hours community service.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

community service.

When Matthew was at junior school he somehow thought that anyone wearing yellow hi vis was doing community service. Probably something he saw on a tv cartoon.  

• Like 15
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.  Rushed off early doors for archery wot I had forgotten about. (Covid test negative). There was a competition shoot last weekend that we didn't do for several reasons, club politics mostly as last time they applied the handicap the wrong way around and gave advantage to the compound bows over recurve - to do with retaining new members we think.  Mighty annoying though.

However the course was left set up so our group shot it today.  The winner last weekend was the current veteran (over 50!) ladies world champion who shot 326.  Debs shot 364 today....'nuff said.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, PupCam said:

We used to have a handy document at work, well it was a sheet of paper really with three columns of words.   You could pick any one word from each column and use them together seamlessly providing waffle more detailed text for technical reports.   I seem to remember it was called the BS generator only I can't for the life of me remember what the BS stood for .....

We had those in the RAF; they were called (well, the polite version anyway) Buzzword Generators. I believe that they originated in the US Navy.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Working  in IT for Defence  it  just  gets silly. I get emails sometimes that can  be 40% acronyms and I have no idea what it means at all. Some TLA's are common between Defence and the IT world but have different meanings in either one and it can take some tracking down to work out if they are talking about say a network term or something to do with military messaging!

That shouldn't happen if people would follow the rules of service writing in Joint Services Publication (JSP ) 101 which states that when using acronyms in a document the first use should follow the phrase written in full (as above) and thereafter used throughout the document.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

That shouldn't happen if people would follow the rules of service writing in Joint Services Publication (JSP ) 101 which states that when using acronyms in a document the first use should follow the phrase written in full (as above) and thereafter used throughout the document.

Dave

It’s a more general style point, Dave. We were told that should be done when writing assignments in university (in a biological science) and it was done in scientific journals.

Edited by pH
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Coming in late to the great spud debate but my two penn'orth is that when I was a lad in Liverpool a scallop was a deep fried battered slice of potato, as sold on most chippies, and potato cakes were the mashed potato, flour and sometimes beaten egg flat cakes shallow fried. Generally the latter were round but I recall that square or rectangular ones were often called Irish potato cakes. 

Dave

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

when I was a lad in Liverpool a scallop was a deep fried battered slice of potato,

We used to call them fritters.

We didn’t even have to specify that they were potato fritters, we couldn’t afford anything posh like spam.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Farmer‘s Breakfast (in German)

I did look it up Flavio. Sounds delicious. I was just sporting a little with the German name. Whether it has anything to do with my German ancestry (there is a lot of it on my father's side) I don't know but there is little German food that I do not like.

It's not very different from a "hash" served in American diners. (Hardly surprising given the extensive German influence on American comestibles.) The most common hash is corned beef hash.

Corned beef does not of course come from a tin, but is beef brisket 'corned' (boiled with corning spices - like peppercorns).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Which indicates that Nikon (for it was one of theirs) told the production company to foxtrot oscar when asked for product placement money.

I would suggest that Nikon wanted more money than the production company was willing to pay, either that or they didn't want to promote an non-Korean brand.

I can't imagine Korean television being the place where Nikon wants to invest in product placement.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

TOGS the Thermal Observation and Gunnery system/Sight

7 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I thought TOGS were Terry Wogans old geezers.................

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

In the world of tanks the best use of TOG is surely 'the old gang', as per the monstrous thing in the Bovington tank museum.

Nah mate. Togs are what you wear when you go swimming. Could be boardies, Speedos/budgie smugglers, bikinis or a one piece - punters' choice there. A 'rashie' is different though. Not togs.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1