The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Potato cakes were common when I was growing up but seem to have faded away. I wonder if it's younger generations not making them at home? Many dishes seem to have been lost as older generations have died. Potato cakes are simple but need a bit of work to prepare and don't lend themselves well to ready meals. I remember my favourite was large ones with a fried egg on top. Another one was stovies, my Scottish grandmother did great stovies but it must be 40 years since I had them. I  have looked at various recipes on line but none of them resemble what I remember. 

Potato cakes are very popular here, the Indonesian perkedel variety. They're excellent. 

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The only great fried potato discussion needed is to address the question of why one cannot obtain potato cakes* in the UK

* scallops in some jurisdictions. 

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

To me  scallops ( or scalloped potatoes)  are sliced potatoes.

Scalloped potatoes are different from what Rick describes.  I'm not sure how different these actually are from Potatoes au Gratin (Potatoes Dauphinoise). To me they are OK, but not really my thing.

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

A potato cake, which I have been known to make, is mashed spud and flour, sometimes with a comparatively small amount of egg to help it stick together.

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We had potato  cakes (my mother called them “Scollops”). Made with mashed leftover potato with an egg mixed in, shaped, and then fried. Usually served with baked beans. 

I've made potato cakes with left over mashed potatoes. Usually coated in panko and pan fried. Quite delicious.

A variation was my mother's fish cakes. Made with tinned pink salmon and onion and economized by the addition of mashed potatoes (to stretch them for family sized portions) and egg as a binder. I like to use oyster sauce for a  little umami.  It's comfort food for me and I make it occasionally.

What Rick refers to is a slice of potato - neither too thick or thin, battered with the same batter used for fish and deep fried at an Aussie fish and chip shop. They are delicious. In their case the 'scallop' reference is to the much more expensive deep fried battered diver scallops (the seafood).

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

Heres one to warm the cockles of " Hang-em high" @polybear!     Boiling water mixed with jam - "Prison napalm".

https://www.9news.com.au/national/australias-worst-alleged-sex-offender-attacked-in-prison/4cc4ee0c-9b9a-43c5-b6a2-ddc2d3ed9b0e

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 2

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Dinner out tonight. 

Never mind the introductory courses (one of which seemed to be half a pig and a field-full of assorted veggies) 

Here’s the dessert counter.  Or rather the half of it which I could get into a single-frame shot. 

IMG_4715.jpeg.c1b7c2da996e1ac77f9b52a1abbd4e65.jpeg

That’s cruel, Rick.

Don’t you know Bear Baiting is illegal?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ok could someone clarify/explain what DPU stands for? and don't say Damp Proof Underwear.

Diesel Parcels Unit (aka Class 128).  No self-respecting shed owner should be seen without one.....

33 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Awake early, like bear, bonce working over time.

Been busy trying to get jobs jobbed but not been very successful. Expected four quotes for various jobs last week, not one arrived, what’s a matter with people.

Bear feels your pain - awake at what turned out to be 0416 for that bluddy no.1 🤬, only for the bonce to fire up just as soon as I was back in The Pit - various random thoughts (some dark) and at 0450 I suddenly felt hot and thought "oh buggerritt, I'm wasting my time" and bounced crawled my way down the little wooden hill.  Turdycurses.

Quotes?  I suspect that those firing off quotes in quick time have little else to do - which would make a Bear suspicious as to why; those taking their time may well be rushed off their paws as they've got loads of work on cos' they're good - and can afford to lose jobs here and there as a result.  Of course there will always be exceptions to Bear's scientific analysis......

-------------------------------------------------------------

Bear here......

Today starts with all the joys of doin' the washing ☹️, to be followed shortly afterwards by refitting the door handle and weather bar to the conservatory door and also applying splurge to various joints and seams as required.

And after that its......playtime.....☺️

The plan today is to carry out various experiments involving different methods of trackwork construction.  I may be some time.....

BG

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Over here in France we get a form of potato cake called rosti.  Bought frozen and heated up in the oven.

Bear predicts that a certain Swiss Correspondent is currently choking on his cornflakes.....

18 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Heres one to warm the cockles of " Hang-em high" @polybear!     Boiling water mixed with jam - "Prison napalm".

https://www.9news.com.au/national/australias-worst-alleged-sex-offender-attacked-in-prison/4cc4ee0c-9b9a-43c5-b6a2-ddc2d3ed9b0e

Bear knows of an alternative method** using two very commonly available household ingredients (though not to those in Prison....I hope.....) that burns with a flame as well.  I've a feeling that a life ban may ensue if I was to reveal in here though....(I wouldn't anyway).

(**Discovered many years ago on the sort of website that would very quickly "get you a visit" if you looked at it now - it's very, very scary just what is on the 'net)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The only great fried potato discussion needed is to address the question of why one cannot obtain potato cakes* in the UK

Ah, but what sort of “potato cake” are you referring to?

”Potato Cake” could refer to:

• Pommes Anna
  • Tattie Scones
  • Aloo Tikki
  • Rösti
  • Latka

Or even

• Gerebnik

And that’s not even considering potato mixed with flour or béchamel or choux-pastry etc., shaped, breaded or battered  (or not as the case may be) and then deep fried or baked. All of which, technically, can be considered a variation on a cake made with potato.

Precision is important, without which we’d end up with “a whisky is a whisky is a whisky” or even “a cake is a cake is a cake” (to paraphrase Gertrude Stein).

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I got a number of Heljan 4mm scale DPUs in varying liveries when Hattons were selling off the first issue at about £60 a throw. Excellent mechanisms, though a bit odd to see them at the head of a 10 coach express. They certainly can shift...

(Sorry for bringing up explicit choo-choo stuff...)

Edited by Hroth
Missing vital words of information/exculpation
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Jeez dont bring that argument up again!  The UN has only just settled us all down after Mcdonalds raised the hackles of half the country in January!

McDonald's is adding potato scallops to its hot new summer menu

image.png.9f353dcc38847fef47242ad03f0b8346.png

McDonald’s is introducing a new potato-based menu item that, depending on where you’re from in Australia, will have a different name.

The fast-food giant is debuting “Potato Scallops with Chicken Salt” at restaurants from Wednesday, January 11, but fans are already arguing over the name of Macca’s newest product.

Diners in Victoria are insisting the item is a “potato cake”, while those in SA are adamant it’s a “potato fritter”. However, those in NSW and Queensland agree the deep fried potato slice, which is coated in crunchy tempura batter, is a potato scallop.

A post shared by Foodie Mumma Ren on Facebook revealing Macca’s new menu-item has already received over 4000 comments, showing just how passionate Aussies are about the nostalgic menu item.

“Better not call it a potato scallop in Victoria. No one will know what they’re talking about,” one person wrote. “If you’re a South Australian you would call it a potato fritter,” another said. “I’m originally from NSW, they’ll always be scallops to me,” someone else added.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

A Over here in France we get a form of potato cake called rosti.  Bought frozen and heated up in the oven. I love them but Beth doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear predicts that a certain Swiss Correspondent is currently choking on his cornflakes.....

Over his Bauernfrühstück more like, but you got the general picture….

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

8 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Ah, but what sort of “potato cake” are you referring to?

This sort.

Potato scallops / cakes / fritters

A battered, deep fried, par-boiled slice of potato.

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

McDonald's is adding potato scallops to its hot new summer menu

Trust McDonalds to make it look dreadful - like their greasy hockey pucks / "hash browns" that have nothing to do with anything resembling actual hash browns.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Latka

Usually spelled "Latke" ( לאַטקע ) here. Very nice. 

I am partial to them as Kartoffelpuffer or Placki Ziemniaczane. 

I don't think there's much difference.

I first encountered Kartoffelpuffers at a Schützenfest in South Australia when I was about thirteen. I was immediately converted. With lemon juice and sugar, applesauce or sour cream. All are good.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

All this mashed potato, mixed with binders and battered/breaded before being fried/grilled reminds me of the indeterminate fishcakes we used to get at school. I say indeterminate because though they tasted fishy, there was never any description of the actual fish used to flavour them...

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5