The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
On 05/10/2023 at 20:02, iL Dottore said:

Well spotted, that man!  (Choice of potato being important)

I am no expert on that particular tuber, but it goes without saying you need a so-called “floury potato” for a chip.

As to which floury potato you should use, I leave that to the Kartoffelmeister amongst us.

My thoughts completely, but the recommended Pink Fir Apple is anything but floury.

AS it happens it is a variety I grow so I will give it a road test.  What could go wrong?  Given the last few weeks, probably everything.

Well the jury has delivered on the thoughts of Pink Fir Apple as a chip potato.

Just don't do it.  Not disgusting but there are plenty proper potatoes for this duty.  Par boiled and then deep fried.  Tasty but chewy and did not melt in the mouth.

I will concede however, that if perchance you boil too many pfk pots and have some cooked ones in the fridge the next morning, they do slice up and fry well for breakfast.  But chips? - No, no, no and thrice no - that's  6 nos.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I take it you have armed guards next to that cake............................................

Bear has declared a ceasefire. 😢

Have I mentioned that?

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

With the CCi GmbH affiliate also being a Forschungsinstitut, research was also undertaken to determine what cake was best at staving of quantum collapse. The results were surprising: the best cake for staving off quantum disruption was the coffee and walnut cream cake, whilst the worst cake for staving off such submolecular disasters was LDC.

The only question that remains is once PB comes off his cake-fast, will he be Bear enough to step up to the plate and eat coffee and walnut cream cake to save Britain?

Since the research was sponsored by Nescafe and nutsinbulk.co.uk then a Certain Bear smells a very large rat......

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have seen it stated (and this is not a joke, honestly) that walnuts are beneficial for controlling blood sugar levels and are recommended for T2 diabetics. 

Dave

Aditi’s Mum refused to give Aditi any walnuts as she said they weren’t good for diabetics. Hasn’t stopped Aditi eating them. I suspect MiL misheard.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think you are safe anyway. If it is postulated that Britain can only be saved from quantum collapse by eating Walnut and cream cake you can probably achieve the same result by never observing the said cake. The cake will remain in collapsed and non-collapsed states as long as you never observe it. Should be easy enough to do.

… but what happens if the cat eats the cake?

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

Evening All.

Firstly, belated birthday wishes to BoD!

I went for a thrash on the RD today stopping off at a car accessory tin shed to buy some bulbs for Monty.   About 40 miles in total although they weren't all plain sailing as I thought I'd had some trouble with the plugs oiling up but when it stopped completely the reason was clear (just like the fuel tubes); fuel starvation.      For some reason the fuel pipes are getting air locks preventing the flow from the tank to the carbs.  Of course, as it's a bike, that's not exactly a long way to go and relies entirely on gravity.   Trouble is it's not obvious why as with the pipes removed from the fuel tap fuel gushes forth with gusto all over the floor (well it would, some twit's removed the fuel pipe).  Put the pipes on a mere dribble runs down the near vertical pipe.     A job for tomorrow then.

I managed a temporary lash-up of the old basket-case rear view mirror in the stripped out mounting.  It's so much better than the horrible bar-end mirror fitted when I got it but of course the lash-up didn't hold so something better was required.   Contrary to my original understanding the thread on the mirror and in the housing were righthand not lefthand.   That makes fitting a Helicoil to do a proper repair much easier.  IIRC a certain Bear said that he'd got RH M10 Helicoils, tools and taps so I might be calling up some support but of course that's not going to be an instant solution ....  

Looking at the thread in the housing it didn't look too bad, it just looked too larger a diameter by a fraction for the thread on the mirror stem.    I wondered if I could make a suitable home-made Helicoil out of stainless steel wire-locking wire,  if I could insert it with long nose pliers & other sundry tools and of course, would it would work?

It turned out that I could, I could and it did.   Now that's what I call a result!     😀

Of course, when and if a proper Helicoil and tooling becomes available I will replace it and do the job properly but for now I think I've got away with it.    This what the proper thing looks like

image.png.f8813e89bd99140d1878b5a7238927a8.png

Note:  I don't think the home-made Helicoil would be up to, say, repairing a cylinder head bolt thread but this one is only holding a small mirror on after all.

Night All

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

... email: "I came into university today for your lecture but I entered the wrong lecture room and only realised when that lecture was finished.”

They’d gone to (and sat through) a whole two hour criminology lecture. Mine was Analytics....

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/10/06/covid-monitoring-ramping-up-vaccines-to-buy-what-hs2-will-look-like/

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think you are safe anyway. If it is postulated that Britain can only be saved from quantum collapse by eating Walnut and cream cake you can probably achieve the same result by never observing the said cake. The cake will remain in collapsed and non-collapsed states as long as you never observe it. Should be easy enough to do.

Don't you need a cat for that?

Edited by Winslow Boy
Drat beaten to it. Shush don't tell Shrodner.
  • Like 7
  • Funny 4

47 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... email: "I came into university today for your lecture but I entered the wrong lecture room and only realised when that lecture was finished.”

They’d gone to (and sat through) a whole two hour criminology lecture. Mine was Analytics....

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/10/06/covid-monitoring-ramping-up-vaccines-to-buy-what-hs2-will-look-like/

I think someone has a problem. Not certain who but yes definitely a problem.

• Agree 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Put the pipes on a mere dribble runs down the near vertical pipe.     A job for tomorrow then.

It sounds very odd. I assume you mean when the pipe is connected to the tap, fuel doesn’t run out of the pipe before it enters the carburettor. A simple tube connected to tube wouldn’t normally affect flow. Once inside the carburettor a sticky float would cause fuel starvation but I look forward to the answer. By the way, I hate carburettors, though I must admit the ones on my Japanese bikes were fine. Ones in my old British bikes and assorted cars were total pains! Thank goodness for fuel injection !

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

John, perhaps the student found your material interesting?

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, pH said:

The first trees to turn in the fall here are small-leaf maples.

The tops are starting to turn here. It will likely be a couple of weeks before we see full colour like that. 

Autumn here is quite irregular and spread out. Instead of the intense colour burst that places like New England are famous for we get here and there patches of colour as individual trees decide it is their time over a period of a couple of months. It's not as breathtaking but it lasts longer much longer.

Yesterday and today saw a reversal of recent weather. It was warm and clear at around 29°C. It was 16°C and cloudy a few days ago.

• Like 18

54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yesterday and today saw a reversal of recent weather. It was warm and clear at around 29°C. It was 16°C and cloudy a few days ago

See thats why they cleverly renamed it "climate change" cos its always changing!

Unlike "global warming",   the deniers cant deny that.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14