The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Unless you were being humorous, the above is a bit unlikely as ursusagalmatophilia means (basically) being turned on by Teddy Bears

I was indeed making a weak attempt at humour.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Cricked the neck not the back...pah!  Found the diseasels I was looking for though, having failed to find a box of locos earlier in the week.

Also looked through the USA stock - eek there's a lot!  Must think about moving some on.  

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

They never used the slogan “ the future is Orange” there either

Matthew said he was reading a book called “How To Be Orange” on the train from Cork to Dublin once. He was still a student at Utrecht University and found the American author’s comments on life in the Netherlands quite amusing. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Happy birthday @BoD

POETS, and yes, that's happening!

Yesterday the shopping for this evenings Oktoberfest dinner went well, then off to a very acceptable pre-rehearsal happy hour and avoidance of the optional yoga effort before choir.

Today a short work day then a relax and off for dinner. I WAS going to make the Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte but time was a preventing factor so we are going to "make do" with this -> https://shop.kramarczuk.com/products/kramarczuk-torte I think it will work 😀

For those not wanting to follow the link and see the description in all its glory, this is what it looks like

image.png.6ca225fe9fd3bd8a353a3e681be232e5.png

Weekend includes a couple of to-do items, including security light for the front of the house, a neighborhood party and a couple of baseball playoff games to watch!

Distinct change in the weather, 6c and drizzle first thing, maybe making 10c for a high and rain off and on all day!

Hope the weekend starts well for all.

I take it you have armed guards next to that cake............................................

• Like 5
  • Funny 14

3 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I take it you have armed guards next to that cake............................................

That's a tough call, the Mrs isn't really a dessert/sweets fan, so the only danger is from ME until we get to the dinner - I have to admit it IS A STRUGGLE, a slice would be great with the morning coffee break 🤣

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

With cakes like that a conversation here would go like

Aditi “it is very nice, you really can’t taste the nuts at all”

Me, taking tiny slice “oh, yes it does,” looking for something to overcome the nutty taste. 
It is odd, I used to eat nuts as a child, I am not allergic at all, but as an adult I find the taste most unpleasant.  Except for cooked peanuts in satay but I suppose peanuts aren’t nuts, though I still don’t like them! 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

That's a tough call, the Mrs isn't really a dessert/sweets fan, so the only danger is from ME until we get to the dinner - I have to admit it IS A STRUGGLE, a slice would be great with the morning coffee break 🤣

Funnily, Livia isn’t that much into sweets either, quite unlike Annika. Livia has even tried things like soused herring, which Annika wouldn’t voluntarily eat.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It's been a very grey day.

After this morning's trip to church and Links I came home and had coffee, then did a bit more throwing out junk from the garage.  After that I had a phone call from an old friend which lasted until it was time to get lunch - simply frozen breadcrumbed cod and chips which was very tasty.

This afternoon I've spent some time in the garden taking things out of pots and tubs.  One of my neighbours will take my spare pots and tubs as one of her relatives wants quite a lot.  That will save journeys to the tip.  I have worked out which ones I really do not want any more and will then sort out the remainder and keep the ones I like most.  I also took a lot a lot of plants out of the greenhouse which were past their best so the garden bin is filling up nicely.  Later on I started removing the moss which always grows around the edges of the greenhoues roof panes.

Once that was done I went for a quick ride in the car.  Actually it wasn't very quick as an very slow moving train of empty biomass wagons went by at the level crossing which caused a traffic jam.  I can confirm that the various displays in the car now satisfy me and I am getting used to the lane departure warnings - the only trouble is that the lanes on some roads are not ocnsistently marked so it can become confused.

I've had a cup of tea and found what seems to be worth wathcing on TV next week and have marked up the Radio Times.  Next is "proper" tea then a restful evening of music and book, if I can stay awake after last night.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I believe that the Bear is well versed in not eating cake. Has he mentioned that?

Dave

But he does say that he's lost some pounds, which is to be applauded....

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I believe that the Bear is well versed in not eating cake. Has he mentioned that?

Dave

It’s a little-known scientific fact that the amount of cake being produced MUST be equal by the amount of cake consumed. Otherwise, there are significant disturbances in the space time continuum at both of the macroscopic and microscopic levels with a concordant disruption of the fabric of reality (It’s all to do with quantum or somesuch…j

With The Bear being out of action (at least in terms of cake consumption), Britain was at serious risk of topographically folding in on itself in five dimensions and disappearing into a black hole. Luckily, the Captain Cynical Institute for Quantum Phenomena (And other scary stuff) noted that Britain was about to totally come apart at the seams. Fortunately, Captain Cynical was able to repurpose a team of skilled cake eating minions to replace PB during his absence.

2000 minions scoffed down on big servings of cake, with the following - plain but moist - carrot cake being a firm favourite.

IMG_0208.jpeg.619f7d482881a2e372f8e06289495c9b.jpeg

Disaster was quickly averted with no real casualties (except for a handful of minions, who have decided to never eat cake again) and Britain had absolutely no idea how close it was to oblivion.

With the CCi GmbH affiliate also being a Forschungsinstitut, research was also undertaken to determine what cake was best at staving of quantum collapse. The results were surprising: the best cake for staving off quantum disruption was the coffee and walnut cream cake, whilst the worst cake for staving off such submolecular disasters was LDC.

The only question that remains is once PB comes off his cake-fast, will he be Bear enough to step up to the plate and eat coffee and walnut cream cake to save Britain?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

It’s a little-known scientific fact that the amount of cake being produced MUST be equal by the amount of cake consumed. Otherwise, there are significant disturbances in the space time continuum

We both appreciate cake and Aditi likes making them, however we need to limit the intake for health reasons. We are quite unlikely to eat six packs  of jam doughnuts for instance. So cake making and consumption have to have a time stretched relationship. This usually means we have cakes that freeze well. The only time whole cakes disappear is when we take one over as our contribution to afternoon tea at Aditi’s sister in Enfield. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/Evening all from Estuary-Land. The knee has been playing up terribly today, not helped by a necessary trip to Tess Coes to get in supplies for the weekend. I won't be going far tomorrow but there's another toy fair at Rayleigh on Sunday. Still no sign of any foxes in the garden but plenty running about the streets. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15