The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The discrepancy is down to several things. The law prohibits reading low, and is subject to variables like tyre condition. At one time they could read way below road speed but most modern ones seem pretty accurate and don't read that much below true speed.

I would have mentioned that too, but I got tired of poking at the screen of the tablet.  Give me a proper keyboard every time!!!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Mention of Ladybird books, here is a list. 

https://www.penguin.co.uk/search-results?tab=books&q=ladybird book of 

There is even a book of Donald Trump. 

I've got "The Mid-Life Crisis"....

Speaking of proper Ladybird books, I believe that at one time "How it Works - The Computer" was issued as introductory reading for senior ranks in the Army...

Computer72-79.jpg.56fe690e48aac94b08ad8745b958324f.jpg

• Like 15
  • Funny 3

6 hours ago, polybear said:

I set the timer on the mobile phone for the duration shown on the washer display, plus a bit of slack in case it takes a bit longer than shown.  No wifi hocus pocus needed.

I take a note of the time it thinks it will finish and then go and look  when it gets to that time. The fear of Mrs Lurker means that I don't forget very often ;)

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Barry O said:

Education Pathway"...could be interesting...

I think once upon a time it was trendy to call any such route an Education Superhighway but pathway does sound like a kinder more inclusive term. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

On fried potato, the boy and girl were munching on egg prata and fish curry flavour crisps today, I think I'll stick with cheese and onion.

Recently I had some Torres fried egg crisps:

https://patatastorres.com/eng/huevo-frito.html

They really did taste like fried eggs - you even got that same "mouthfeel" that you get from the oil that the egg has been fried in. It took me a while but I decided I did like them.

Their jamon iberico crisps work too.

PB should not look too closely at the prices...my only excuse was that I had spent some Majestic tokens on quite a lot of wine and so they seemed cheap in comparison!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

A brief period of bungin' filler into the Conservatory door, followed by a danglin' session on the door frame.  Tick #1

Later, after a brief period of sanding the filler, a second & much shorter danglin' session took place on the door (spot priming).  Tick #2

After that I got really keen and went out in the Bearmobile to get robbed, sorry, fill the tank; then I went to collect the two small mats I'd made from lounge carpet offcuts - they've had their edges whipped by a good guy called Charlie, all for the princely sum of sixteen quid.  I reckon that's Tick #3.  They're now in the lounge to protect/prevent wear from hind paws when sitting done.

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps discrepancies between a vehicle speedo and a GPS could be due to underinflated tyres?

Just a thought....

The maximum mph  discrepancy allowed is 10% over read + 2 point something or other mph.

So at an indicated 70 mph you may actually be only doing 61ish mph. Where as a GPS will be 100% accurate unless you are doing some very tight turns or going up or down steeply.

It's to allow for tyre wear and there are often different tyre options which may have a different outside diameter.

The Speedo will be most accurate with new tyres and the largest diameter option.

• Like 14
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

It's to allow for tyre wear and there are often different tyre options which may have a different outside diameter.

My comparison was going to be the difference between doing the same rpm on a Pannier and a Castle.  Then I thought "that's a bit too railwayish".

But what the heck! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

9 hours ago, polybear said:

I set the timer on the mobile phone

So you are still using a mobile telephone for this home automation capability. One less step if the washer/dryer notifies you directly. And as you noted, the 'timer' on the dryer is approximate. If the clothes are wetter than the program thought then the dryer takes longer than what shows on the dryer estimate.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3