The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Some friends have just been out to buy a new washing machine. The salesman tried to talk them into getting one with wifi connection. When they asked what the point of such a washing machine he said that you can start and stop them from your phone, they can tell you via your phone when a cycle is complete, or they can tell you via your phone when they need attention. He didn't mention price but my guess is that several more Deltics are involved. Is it just me or is the world going technology mad?

Dave

I would be tempted to ask if the washing machine could empty itself, hang out the washing, take it in when its dry and then iron the washing.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

I found the book!!  YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................

And where was it?  In the Lounge, right at the bottom of the small pile (6") of books & mags on a chair just 8ft away on my left - in plain view.  'Sterd was hiding all the time.

ION.....

VVVSBT's to those involved or affected by the horrific Coach Crash in Venice.

BG

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, Flanged Wheel said:

… this didn’t stop Banff being one of our favourite places.

However, for the last six days as we have driven north from Prince George up the Route 16 (rather than the main Alaska Highway) …

Glad you enjoyed Banff. We were there at the beginning of August. After over half an hour looking for a parking spot, we gave up and went back to the highway to drive on.

I think you may have driven north on Highway 97 out of Prince George. Highway 16 runs east-west from Prince George. 

Did you see any trains on the CN (ex-BC Rail)  lines north of PG? Few of them, but the ones that there are are big.

(Edit - I’ve just realized there is less of the ex-BCR still in service than there was when I was there,)

Edited by pH
  • Friendly/supportive 18

7 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Just in case anyone here hasn't got one this is what a shed or in this case The Shed looks like:

image.png.dd9e19602cc98c74bbed5816b19881cd.png

This is quite blatant discrimination and take most offence at such indiscriminate flaunting of such incendiary material. There was no warning it just appeared. I speak on behalf of all the shedless. This should not be allowed and will be asking my fellow members of Shedless United to picket here untill such disturbing images can be removed to a place where they won't cause offence.😋

• Like 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I'about to head over to a proper sized shed with attached hangar.  I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before. 

Jamie

You see what's happening here. It's a free for all now. Look look my sheds bigger than yours- mines got an aircraft hanger attached.🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The builder should be back tomorrow to finish off the garden. The reason he wasn't around for the last week is that his pet dog has been operated on by the vet and for a time it has been touch and go. Fortunately the pooch has come through and is now recovering.

• Friendly/supportive 17

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

What's a utility bill on paper? They're an extremely rare thing these days.

Not here. And I choose to pay them with a paper cheque.

My insurance company still sends paper bills, but there is no option to make payment with a paper cheque - other than in person at the agent's office. They send me all sorts of emails telling me to review my policy online, which I studiously ignore.

My homeowner's insurance premium - due shortly - has increased year-over-year by 80%. It appears that the first big economic casualty of climate change is traditional insurance companies*.

* Fires, floods, hurricane storm surges etc. The traditional 'stodgy' insurers will no longer underwrite homeowner's insurance policies in California or Florida - due to legislation that limits premium increases. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

they can tell you via your phone when a cycle is complete

This is the feature that intrigued me when I saw it advertised. My laundry is upstairs. I cannot hear the chime when it is done from downstairs.  While many smart home automation features are technology solutions looking for a problem, I'd like to know when the washer and dryer are done. (I don't care what cycle they are on.) While running them, I'm constantly traipsing upstairs to see how long they have left.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

On technology going down the path of 'we do it because we can' there's been an obsession in Asia with talking rice cookers which appear to have more computing power than an Apollo moon shot mission. Lovely big screens to see the various programs, fancy membrane key pads etc. Everyone we know who has one admits they use the fancy features once or twice then go back to add water, add rice, switch o, wait. Tellingly the Japanese manufacturers have opted out and it is the Korean manufacturers who have developed rice cookers which come with an instruction book like a novel. In this case I think the Japanese are right, it's a simple device and a good quality item which just works has more value.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5