The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I wonder whether the NRM could convince the government to take over direct responsibility for the Frying Scotchpancake so that they could put it in the same mismanaged money pit as HS2?   

Dave 

PS - Even though I am an RMWeb Premium member I still got the damned pop up ad today that others are complaining about.

I got the please login, did so, and then everything was no ad normal. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Whilst in the town I picked up a copy of MRJ.   Nice article on some bloke’s engine shed.

Saw that, seemed to ring a bell.....

Oh well.

Opened the garage, stepped back in alarm at the tsunami of cardboard boxes (filled and empty), had a go at emptying a couple of the ones containing stuff, then gave up.

Its going to be this time next year....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I've had one of my surgery's regular news emails, this time about X rays.

If a patient is told by a GP that they need an X ray they can now be booked at the town's hospital (or others in the same trust) online, as well as by phone.  The nearest general hospital also offers a walk in service following a GP referral.

I am finding the periodic emails quite useful in telling me what is going on.

Below is part of the home page for the surgery, just for interest.

Screenshot2023-10-03152040.png.2ee2c511ea8ed2fb226b9b3cc1ef7dc3.png

image.png.540ba59ebf33a9da67f2f48e96d9bff4.png

David

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's Boss once served with a Guy who's Girlfriend was one of the victims.

BG

That must have been one of the last couple. Possibly Jacqueline Hill, his last. I'm 'not sure most people would want to admit thaving had most of the others as girlfriends. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl 2,

Went back to the workshop, making a ply core to the first building, that is actually supporting the end of that unit. Lots of window holes to be cut out tomorrow.

Had delivered the service kit for the stove, including a new glass, ordered it Sunday it arrived about 14:00 all the way from Axminster.

So sometime in the next few days that's a couple of hours work.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

15 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

That must have been one of the last couple. Possibly Jacqueline Hill, his last. I'm 'not sure most people would want to admit thaving had most of the others as girlfriends. 

Jamie

Wasn't that part of the problem though Jamie? I recall that there was a 'perception' that all of his victims were in the sex trade and were therefore somewhat 'less important'- I sorry if that last phrase is offensive but I just couldn't think of another way to phrase it. I'm not agreeing with this view point simply recalling what I believe was reported.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The 148-day screen-writers' strike being over, late night resumes tonight for their first new shows in five months. It will be interesting to see how they summarize five months of 'news'. I'm ready for a little satire.

John Oliver did a good "review of the missed time" in the opening of his first "Last Week Tonight" show - very entertaining 🤣

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

In 2005 I was in Cheyenne Wyoming just before Sturgiss.  It was fascinating to see the different styles of travel.  There were a group of bikers about my age who had ridden up from Texas with their bikes festooned with luggage in nets and panniers, staying 3 or 4 to a room in cheap motels.  We had a pleasant evening watching the trains roll by.  I was touring on my pushbike.  The next day as I cycled along near the interstate, I saw Big fancy jeeps going past with trailers attached with two spotless Harleys strapped on the trailers, his and hers. 

In the late 1980s when I lived in Southern California a colleague rode his Honda Gold Wing to Sturgis. He got a lot of flak from the Harley crowd for his 'rice burner' until they realized he had actually ridden all the way instead of trailering his ride.

• Like 16

14 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

John Oliver did a good "review of the missed time" in the opening of his first "Last Week Tonight" show - very entertaining 🤣

Yes, I watched that last night. Very funny. I'll catch up with Monday's monologues tonight.

• Like 12

Chewsday...

Not much to report from Monday, work Jemma dropped in for a brief visit and to collect a package delivered here, custom model of the Embraer 175 in Compass/Delta Connection livery, the first passenger jet she flew.

Won an EFE RLH bus on Ebay - I blame zoom friends for me looking again and finding something to spend tokens on 🤣

Today, quiet, work that will be about it.

21c and partly sunny/partly cloudy (your choice/preference of description), high of 28c expected. Some rain possible later.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 3

9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Which is likely cheaper than the data they consume when out and about in furrin lands......

Morning, from a damp rock which is a mere 12c.  Autumn is kicking in.

Today mate H is coming around to talk about those tings for a couple of hours, then I'm off to the physioterrorism course to be beasted for an hour.  So far its pain but no gain, but I will do the full course and give it a chance.

A trip up into beamland yesterday looking for some of 'those' toys resulted in discovery of several I had forgotten about, and several conspicuous by their absence.  There must be another box.....somewhere. Hmm.....much thinks needed.

Jamie mentioned the Ripper - a mate in the same force actually spoke to him when doing all car stops along a route they suspected he travelled, and flagged him as dodgy but only on copper's gut feeling, nothing they could pin down.  It was discarded.....

Some years ago a mate of mine did some work on the Ripper's Rover P6, it still exists but has had a reg' number change at some point.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Cut back a bit more of the shrubbery but then the knees started giving out. Nothing will be done tomorrow as I have an appointment with the optician. Just the annual eye test so nothing to worry about.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Wasn't that part of the problem though Jamie? I recall that there was a 'perception' that all of his victims were in the sex trade and were therefore somewhat 'less important'- I sorry if that last phrase is offensive but I just couldn't think of another way to phrase it. I'm not agreeing with this view point simply recalling what I believe was reported.

I do recall that one of his last victims was an innocent shop girl walking home from work. The hoaxer John Humble (Wearside Jack) certainly didn't help.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Dave Hunt said:

Just a heads up that there is a scam email going the rounds purporting to be from the TV Licensing authority saying that your direct debit has been cancelled and you will need to restart it quickly as you licence expires today. There is the inevitable 'get started here' link.

Dave

I get that scam e-mail a couple of times a year, it goes straight into the spam file.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In the late 1980s when I lived in Southern California a colleague rode his Honda Gold Wing to Sturgis. He got a lot of flak from the Harley crowd for his 'rice burner' until they realized he had actually ridden all the way instead of trailering his ride.

I wonder how far the Beach Boys rode their Little Honda one night, they certainly climbed some hills🙂

Edited by roundhouse
  • Funny 14