The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

According to the BBC news, an NT spokesperson hopes that the stump will "coppice", but it won't ever be the same.

What they should do is use the wood from the felled trunk to make things to sell in NT shops; egg cups, light pulls, fruit bowels, whatever, as commemorative bits and bobs!

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

According to the BBC news, an NT spokesperson hopes that the stump will "coppice", but it won't ever be the same.

I’ll pop back there in 300 years to get another photo.  
Now, shall I go at dawn or at sunset?

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The only cars in my garage are 1/48 or 1/76 scale. 

When I've got everything sorted in my "garage", I'll have something similar.

And a bus on every bridge*...

* At least for 1/76

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4
  • Funny 11

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

What counts as an a native tree? Does it have to have sprung from the ground as the glaciers retreated?

Needs to have established here before the Channel flooded and we became an island, Sycamore is not native. The first clue is (from memory) leaves carved into pew ends in the 16th-17th centuries.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Wisteria

We had no luck with a couple of wisteria at our last house so didn’t bother with one here.  However we get a nice display from next door’s plant. It produces more flowers on our side of the fence! 

• Like 14
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, BoD said:

The Ordnance Survey have updated their maps already

IMG_0359.png.17daa19ba9913f5a566618f4cb9e2292.png

I note that the OS also names the local residents. 

Just to the east of Isle of Man can be found Collin and Eliza Field. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We had no luck with a couple of wisteria at our last house so didn’t bother with one here.  However we get a nice display from next door’s plant. It produces more flowers on our side of the fence! 

Our honeysuckle's like that! 

• Like 15

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I did say well above  30,000 feet, as in probably up to 40,000 feet or maybe even above. I've been climbing to about 35,000 and the thunderheads have been developing faster than I was climbing.

Dave

I remember a paraglider  pilot out west for the world paragliding championships  a few years ago was sucked into a rising cumulonimbus cloud and rose to 33,000ft. She actually survived the lack of oxygen, hailstones and extreme cold. A Chinese guy at the same event was sucked up too and was  killed by a lightning strike.

Here it is!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Evening!

But that's a just a wee bit academic.     It was a fine tree, appreciated by thousands, the country needs more trees (I believe) and it was a wilful act of vandalism.      There are very many things that are non-native, that doesn't means it's acceptable for the scrotes to go and do just as they please with them!

Certainly got more right to life than the scrotes.    I think a referral to the @polybear School of Justice would be most appropriate.

ION

We spent the morning severely pruning the out-of-hand and rampant Wisteria (it's OK, it's non-native ....) that has invaded a couple of nearby conifers (probably not native) followed by trip to the Tidy Tip with the cuttings.     When the pruning is complete it should enable me to repair the pergola that is collapsing under the weight of the thing.     I think the Wisteria might look a bit bald for a year or two!   Oh well.

image.png.1c9103e345e66b2f8b8ed3f5b4acae9c.png

That's bl#£dy good wisteria there young man. Please tell me though  that's after you've pruned and not before.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

That's bl#£dy good wisteria there young man. Please tell me though  that's after you've pruned and not before.

Thank you (young man indeed 🤣)

Errrm.     How can I put this ......

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The only cars in my garage are 1/48 or 1/76 scale. 

Bear hasn't got a Garage.  Have I mentioned that?

4 hours ago, BoD said:

… with his chainsaw

Not really though, in spite of how sad or angered one feels.  Very difficult to think of a suitable response/punishment though.

Chances are he'll get little more than Community Service 🤬

However.....

As he's a minor I'd have Social Services all over the Parents (kid out at night, playing with a chainsaw etc.) and also fine the Parents £20K as they're responsible for him and what he does.

If he's a local then I very much suspect he won't be for much longer as they'll make his life hell.

Good.

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Hooray!   I appear to have a front brake that now appears progressive and actually works.      A test run will be conducted in the morning subject to suitable weather after which hopefully a big tick may be awarded.

TTFN

Go for it.....

image.png.63e23dbd6ad1c1cd3c9d6facd09c3360.png

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Washing done.  Tick.

And the rest of the day?  Sanding/prepping the Conservatory French Doors, Frame and Window Ledges, followed by painting them (not the ledges - I'd had enough).  I started around 8am and finished at.....5pm, with a din dins break in the middle.

Muddlin' achieved today?  Nil/Zilch/Diddly Squat.  Poo.

It looks like tomorrow will be a rather sunny day - and as the paint I'm using gets a bit temperamental when that happens it looks like any thoughts of doing the second coat are long gone.  Disappointed?  Er, nottalot.

Bear Gone.

• Like 17