The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Washing is done, washing up done but pruning the shrubbery only just started. It's not as easy as I thought. When I planted the (four) shrubs many moons ago I placed them about two metres apart. They have grown so much that they have merged in to one thick hedge and it took me the best part of this afternoon to prune the first one, getting the loppers in and in the right place can be a problem. Tomorrow and the weekend are predicted to be dry so I hope that I can finish the job then.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I had another nice walk at the beach this morning, while I was there the cloud was quickly building from the south and the sun gradually faded away, then it turned cooler.  I had a quick look at one of the new shops which sells clothes, supposedly for outdoors, looking at the printed T shirts I think they would suit younger people though their gilets looked good.  I called at Greggs and bought a Belgian bun to have with my coffee when I got back home and a sausage roll for tea.  That was probably the highlight of my day.

As I arrived at home I had a talk with another neighbour who was passing by on her way home from the bus stop with some shopping.  Later on, while I had coffee, I finished my book "History of Northumberland" which was interesting, thought provoking and enjoyable.  I may read it again one day.  That took me to lunchtime.  

During the afternoon I've done some more in the garage and picked what will probably be the last of the sweet peas if the wind does get strong.  At the moment it is raining and much cooler with a breeze developing.

If I can stay awake after tea I'll probably read and watch TV.   I have just spent some time looking at a puzzle in the Radio Times for next week.  You are supposed to be able to make a word using all 9 letters in a square.  I can't find any words with the letters in let alone any word which follows the rules of the puzzle.  Perhaps I am just being thick.

Edit - I finally found a word which is the dictionary.  I won't put it here in case anyone else is going to the puzzle.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I received an e-mail late this afternoon offering me the covid jab. There's a lot more places offering the jab than last time but only one in Basildon but that is at least accessible. The next nearest is Stamford-le-Hope  and a couple in South Benfleet. I'll be calling all four tomorrow to find out if any of them will do the flu jab as well. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Those were very high storm clouds at almost 40,000'. Are you sure it wasn't 12,000'?

I've had fairground-ride takeoffs where the pilot circles and banks around towering thunderstorms to avoid storm cells. They do get very high, but cumulonimbus tops out around 12,000m. The stratosphere is 6,000 - 20,000m.

I have seen thunderheads in the far east well above 30,000'.

Dave 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Showing the mercurial nature of the weather in SE Asia this was the aircraft at the gate after landing in Changi, not too bad, by the time I got home in Nanyang it was a lovely bright and sunny evening with clear blue sky.

fotor_2023-9-28_8_48_16.png

• Like 19