The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

39 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The lifts on QM2 (which claims not to be a cruise ship, rather an ocean liner) have a max persons number/ weight restriction. It seems to assume maximum weights of 75kg per person.

Or at least an average weight of 75kg per person. (Each passenger is not being weighed individually.)

Most lifts/elevators have both a maximum load and a maximum occupancy (headcount). While the two numbers are related they are not causally so and are separate.

A random Google search suggests that the average adult male in the US weighs almost 90kg.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

8 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

…Tomorrow's lunch is pencilled in as being a venison sausage roll (a Rabbit DIY job) with carrots, parsnips and green beans. 

That sounds splendid, but a few questions if I may?

1. What type pastry are you using? Rough Puff? Shortcrust? Suet? Is it homemade or ready made? Tom Kerridge (two Michelin Stars and a real nice down-to-earth bloke [I’ve met him and got a guided tour of his kitchen 😁]) uses good quality ready made pastry at home and if it’s good enough for TK, it’s good enough for me!
  2. Venison is a very lean meat, how do you keep it moist? Pork fat mixed in or pork sausage meat mixed in? Plain minced venison I think would dry out by the time the pastry is cooked.
  3. How are you doing the parsnips and carrots? In chunks, steamed/boiled and then buttered? Mashed (together or separately)? Puréed (drain veg, dry off moisture in a medium hot pan, pass through a passe-vite, add cream and butter to taste/get your preferred texture [a good purée shouldn’t be watery or too thin])

Carrots are great when cooked al dente then tossed in butter in which you have sautéed some finely julienned ginger, you can also add some brown sugar a minute or two before they are done to get a nice caramelisation.

Mrs iD loves Haggis, which I always serve with “bashed tatties and neeps” *(proportions to individual taste, I do 60% parsnips/40% floury spuds). Sometimes I do a rough mash, other timesI pass the veg through the passe-vite and add a little butter and cream. These go nicely with many other things as well.

PRO TIP: there is nothing worse than watery or soggy vegetables; the best way to deal with this is to drain the vegetables well, then dry them out in a nonstick pan before dressing them with butter or mashing them/puréeing them with butter and/or cream.

* not forgetting the all important whisky & cream sauce - something I’m still perfecting (I think “one measure whisky for the pot and two for the chef” may be a slightly flawed approach)

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Jasper Carrott - Magic Roundabout (DJ Mike Andy Video Edit 2021) Promo Only - YouTube

how do people get this friggin' website to accept youtube links, it never works for me....................................

Highlight the page title at the top of the page, then right click the mouse and select and click copy.

To post it here open a post and right click again and select and click paste.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

@Tony_S Tony ref cruise ship lifts when we were on P & O ships Britannia, Iona and Ventura I think the lifts claimed a maximum of 18 persons.  The last time I counted one we were in there were 11 people and it was too cramped, how the hell they would get 18 in I know not!  There were a few  somewhat larger than me.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Done a bit of shopping this afternoon and when I got home I went upstairs to change and I laid on the bed and promptly fell asleep. A job for tomorrow is to prune the bottom of the shrubs in the garden so that the foxes have nowhere to hide, and dig holes. I will also have to set about dismantling the old shed but first I will have to recover some tools from it. Some of the tools were my dads and are older than me such as a bench drill and vice. I'm not sure if the bench itself can be rescued as its showing signs of woodworm.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Due to the nature of the crime If he hasn't got  Australian citizenship then under The Migration Act of 1958   he'll potentially be judged to have failed the character test and therefore pose a risk to the safety and good order of the  community thus rendering him ineligible to remain here. Alternatively receiving  a sentence of 12 months or more will place him in the same position.

If either case occurs then    when his sentence is over he'll be met at the jail gates  by the  Federal Police   and chucked on to a plane back to the UK. 

Give him a whole-life sentence - we'll have him back after that......

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

For some reason I thought of @polybear when I read this in The Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chip-ration-is-the-drill-for-overweight-oilrig-workers-jmjc8mq2p

Not the overweight bit (I’ve met PB and he’s far from spherical) but the chip rationing bit.

From his detailed dinner menu reports, I’m not sure PB could go a week without chips…

A Bear Challenge....

OK, starting Thursday it'll be a chip-free week for Bear....

BUT.....

When I succeed then iD's Mission, Should You Choose To Accept It will be to scoff Curly Fries - that's proper Curly Fries, like this:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/282059879?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*MPX_PMAX_All_OT_All+Products_Online+Budget_1009392**282059879*&gclid=CjwKCAjwgsqoBhBNEiwAwe5w0xKbOvyZLYb-4Uj6fSyToA7K406uX6rAvc5o-fUazq6wyndh6BVLkBoCYP0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Of course, you might decide to wimp out......in which case Bear gets to keep scoffing chips when desired.... 😁

Oh yes, Bear had boiled new spuds today....

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Sorry about that. I thought you could view single articles. It certainly used to be the case

Anyway, they wrote “Oil rig workers are being restricted to having chips only once a week and offered daily exercise classes as increased weight gain has caused concerns over their safety offshore.

The average weight of a rig worker has increased from 75kg (11st 8lb) in 1975 to 99kg (15st 6lb) in 2023

Bear is currently 74Kg.  Just thought I'd mention that....

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

......when I had a momentary craving for curly oven fries. 

Go on, you know you want to.....

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Stott Hall Farm is sited between the east and west bound carriageways of the M62.

Stott_Hall_Farm_(crop).JPG.4022488ab1cc1017a317f02ac8651df9.JPG 

It is NOT actually a nail property, though many people still think the carriageways separated because the owners wouldn't sell.  Rather, the curious arrangement of the roadways is apparently due to geological complications.

There was a TV programme all about the farm a few years ago - they did offer to buy the place buy the owner decided to stay put anyway; I don't recall if he got any compo or not.

Of course it might be rather short-sighted as I imagine the value of the place is diddly squat if he ever did want/have to move.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

That sounds splendid, but a few questions if I may?

1. What type pastry are you using? Rough Puff? Shortcrust? Suet? Is it homemade or ready made? Tom Kerridge (two Michelin Stars and a real nice down-to-earth bloke [I’ve met him and got a guided tour of his kitchen 😁]) uses good quality ready made pastry at home and if it’s good enough for TK, it’s good enough for me!
  2. Venison is a very lean meat, how do you keep it moist? Pork fat mixed in or pork sausage meat mixed in? Plain minced venison I think would dry out by the time the pastry is cooked.
  3. How are you doing the parsnips and carrots? In chunks, steamed/boiled and then buttered? Mashed (together or separately)? Puréed (drain veg, dry off moisture in a medium hot pan, pass through a passe-vite, add cream and butter to taste/get your preferred texture [a good purée shouldn’t be watery or too thin])

Carrots are great when cooked al dente then tossed in butter in which you have sautéed some finely julienned ginger, you can also add some brown sugar a minute or two before they are done to get a nice caramelisation.

Mrs iD loves Haggis, which I always serve with “bashed tatties and neeps” *(proportions to individual taste, I do 60% parsnips/40% floury spuds). Sometimes I do a rough mash, other times I pass the veg through the passe-vite and add a little butter and cream. These go nicely with many other things as well.

PRO TIP: there is nothing worse than watery or soggy vegetables; the best way to deal with this is to drain the vegetables well, then dry them out in a nonstick pan before dressing them with butter or mashing them/puréeing them with butter and/or cream.

* not forgetting the all important whisky & cream sauce - something I’m still perfecting (I think “one measure whisky for the pot and two for the chef” may be a slightly flawed approach)

Pastry, it'll be ready made puff pastry. I hope to have a go at homemade in due course but quite frankly, probably more of an experiment than in the expectation being converted and of always doing it that way. I haven't met Tom K but have watched some of his TV programmes, yes, wouldn't argue with that! (Any particular brands to recommend)? 

Venison, I have the rest of the bundle of sausages from yesterday (they are named something else but basically it's decent pork with herbs and some spices) so I will either mix or layer and roll with the venison mince. Yes, I'd expect just plain venison would dry out. 

Parsnips and carrots will depend on the size of the carrots - I will pull these in the morning and decide as I'm washing/cleaning them! Probably boiled (separately!) and tossed in a little herb butter, possibly finished for a few minutes in the bottom of the oven - I sometimes do this before 'basting' to help dry them out, I hate watery or soggy veg, reminds me of school. I haven't pureed them but have tried mashing. Personal preference, I like carrot and potato mash but am not so keen on carrot and parsnip or those plus potato. Not sure why. Even if I do quasi Cornish pasties using mashed ingredients and sausagemeat rather than chunks, I tend not to include parsnips but will happily cook them separately and serve together. Just one of Rabbit's peculiarities? Though I will try a 'neeps and tatties' style mash one day, see how that turns out. 

'I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food'... 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My weight is 110kg, I was reducing it before lockdown to less than 90kg but lack of exercise due to lockdown and the worsening arthritis in my hips and knees means that I can't exercise as much as I used to. When it comes to diet I try to keep salt and sugar intake to a minimum.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I did that Phil, still doesnae work................

I noticed that there is a 'copy link' feature in the top right corner of the film, right click on that and it should copy. Then just right click where you want to post it and when the box comes up click paste.

https://youtu.be/fCaeCPpsXV8

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

No idea what i weigh at the moment, it's more than i should be..

Just back from the MRC,

A fairly unsuccessful night as it was too crowded, what I wanted to do meant travelling from one side to the other of the unmentionable , repeatedly,  but too many people were in the way.

Dry but with increasing wind out there . But we won't get our main wind till tomorrow night.

Just about every lift I've been in you'd have to be unnecessarily friendly to get the number listed in. The only place I use one these days is the castle quarter shopping centre in Norwich. The car parks are below the shops underground.

Muggachoccy gone

Goodnight Awl.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6