The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Yeah well they deserved Tommy Steele

Tommy Steele? No-one deserved him.

We didn't deserve Lonnie Donnigan either!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_Donegan

(I'll drop the bomb film when I boot the proper computer, ruddy tablets...)

Edited by Hroth
Bomb dropped...
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

It seems our local council will only collect dead animals from the highway or Counci owned land and not private property.

https://www.sutton.gov.uk/w/roadkill-dead-animals?p_l_back_url=%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Ddead%2Bfox%2Bin%2Bgarden

Now I wonder how people would get round that one?  🤔

All those dead badgers that you see on the roads have not been run over.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

It seems our local council will only collect dead animals from the highway or Counci owned land and not private property.

https://www.sutton.gov.uk/w/roadkill-dead-animals?p_l_back_url=%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Ddead%2Bfox%2Bin%2Bgarden

Phil’s local council has a similar statement and I can’t find anything about them dealing with it as a “health hazard”. 

• Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

All those dead badgers that you see on the roads have not been run over.

I found out it is a good idea to avoid running over a dead skunk. This was in Vermont not Essex.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, Barry O said:

BUT diabetes UK doesn't  mention Genetics….

It doesn’t specifically use that term, but a quick perusal of the site throws up this sentence (in the description of IDDM (Type 1 Diabetes is the older term..) “Family history can increase your risk, as there are a number of genes linked to type 1 diabetes” see: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/types-of-diabetes/type-1/causes. Sounds like genetics to me!

away from our drug company sponsored NICE group..

Poppycock! The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) is an executive non-departmental public body of the Department of Health and Social Care in England. NICE invites consultee and commentator organisations to take part in the appraisal. Although consultee organisation include patient groups, organisations representing health care professionals and the manufacturers of the product undergoing appraisal, that’s because the people that know the drug best are the people who developed it. Fees are paid for technology appraisals - which is no guarantee of approval. Many state-of-the-art treatments available in Europe and elsewhere have not been approved by NICE, so NHS patients can’t get those treatment. NICE has been criticised by patient groups and medical professional bodies for being both slow to appraise therapies (of all kinds) and focus more on the cost part than the benefit part of the cost/benefit ratio.

..Who don't mention what the cheap solution to diabetes (Metformin) does to kidneys, joints, muscles etc......

Why should NICE have anything to say about Metformin? It was approved for use long before NICE was even thought of.

Metformin is a very old drug - it was first identified in 1922 and has been used n patients since 1957. Metformin is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines

It is generally well tolerated, but is contraindicated in patients with severe renal impairment, known hypersensitivity to the drug and acute or chronic metabolic acidosis. Although it is well tolerated, with GI problems (nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea) being the most frequently noted adeverse events;  in rare cases - as the US NIH notes “Less commonly, some patients may experience chest discomfort, headache, diaphoresis, hypoglycemia, weakness, and rhinitis while taking metformin. Prolonged use of metformin has been associated with decreased vitamin B12 levels; therefore, healthcare professionals should carefully monitor patients, especially those with anemia or peripheral neuropathy” (see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK518983/). These adverse events are well known to Clinicians prescribing metformin. But, as always, prescribing medication (from the commonly used aspirin to state of the art cutting edge technology, anti-cancer drugs) is always a risk/benefit situation. And in most NIDDM patients, the risk of using Metformin is outweighed by the risk of not using Metformin.

With metformin being the first-line drug of choice, recommended by diverse organisation such as the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, do with a such a large number of patients being treated with the drug, it is inevitable serious adverse events will be seen quite frequently.

There are newer drugs, such as the gliflozines, that can offer a better risk/benefit ratio than Metformin in certain patients, but they cost more than Metformin. (we all know that the NHS likes cheap).

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well, we’ve had quite a bit of overnight rain, but it must have stopped a while ago as, although the garden is wet, it’s not soaking wet. The sun is trying to shine at the moment, but there are some quite dark and ominous clouds in the distance, so I think I’ll stay inside and carry in with the cellar. I’ve quite a bit of sanding to do on the door frame, so that’s something I can crack on with. 

Back later.

Brian

• Like 14

The overnight brain rain is continuing into morning drizzle - the combination has scuppered the lawn mowing today prior to the garden bin on Wednesday.

I could have done it yesterday, but then I would have missed spending dosh at High Wycombe.

Edited by Coombe Barton
typo as indicated
  • Like 17

13 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Really cannot keep up these days best wishes and condolences as appropriate -

still try to scan all.

Really Peter, you have to do better.

Given that you are an adult male with standard issue biology (OK, I’m making assumptions here 🤣😁😳) on average you’ll spend 12 minutes each time you void solids, which means that you have at least 12 minutes/day (ahem) “down time” (ahem) during which you can catch-up on ER postings (more if you’ve eaten a dodgy prawn or two, less if you’re loading up on the weetabix).

An opportunity to be exploited.

As Yoda said “Do or do not. There is no try

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

There are newer drugs, such as the gliflozines,

Aditi did try that for a while to reduce her Metformin slight side effects but she didn’t stay on it as she found the side effects of it to be more irritating. She takes a combination of Metformin and alogliptin. I just have alogliptin. Most of my medicines are fairly cheap, but I haven’t noticed reluctance to prescribe more  expensive alternatives. I have some impaired kidney function which limits certain favoured drub options too. The consultant at my last IBD appointment seemed very happy to chat about medication options.  I am always concerned they will stop the immunosuppressive medication that had worked well for years as there are increased risks with age . He said nowadays they would probably start with something else that also helped people with heart conditions but as I tolerated everything really well there was no reason to,change. He was also keen to let me know about other new treatment  but at present not recommend for people who also had heart conditions. I am rather pleased that new treatments are being developed. Back in the late 1970s the medications to treat my bowel disease were quite limited. It is not therefore “big pharma” that had caused problems for me. Over the years however opportunitistic speculators have. Every now and then one of the cheap and cheerful generics becomes unavailable. When only one or two factories are producing, it gives the manufacturer a lot of price leverage when they “shut down for maintenance “ or “have a factory fire”. This summer it has been one of the more popular statins, though I am not sure why. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Korean BBQ for lunch today, I do love Korean BBQ, I think Korean food in general is an undiscovered gem in much of the world. Happily that is changing as K culture spreads and you see quite a lot of Korean restaurants in London now. I'm a bit of a Koreaphile, as well as Korean food I think they have been making some of the best film and TV output anywhere in recent years.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

KTLA? They like car chases.

So they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SfgpZnE5JE

5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

It seems our local council will only collect dead animals from the highway or Council owned land and not private property.

I have some very large black bin bags.

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Phil’s local council has a similar statement and I can’t find anything about them dealing with it as a “health hazard”. 

My mistake, they used to but ceased doing so a few years ago, time to get those bin bags out.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Well it feels as if its still morning, the result of not getting up until gone eight this morning. A bit grey and overcast but dry so I should be able to do a bit of tidying up in the garden.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Flying dead foxes...............................?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's Korean BBQ was at a place deep within the Institute of Technical Education, it's a hidden gem of Singapore eating. A benefit of being in the ITE is this outdoor furniture display. The marine engineering faculty also has some beautiful ship models on display.

ITE 1.jpg

• Like 18