The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I know it isn’t a popular opinion but I don’t want it to be like 1957 again. About the most excitement a small child could have was the hope,of finding a Colorado beetle and claiming the reward. 

The Great Central still there with A3's hauling the Master Cutler on the right tracks, I'd give it another go.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Didn't get anything done in the garden today but there's always tomorrow. I haven't heard back from the council about the dead fox, I'll have to call them on Monday.

I think the council will take away a dead fox from the roadside but are not responsible for removing them from private property. Hopefully they will tell you who to contact. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Rock n' Roll, nice cars & bikes, mini skirts incoming.....

Where do I sign?

Pack  your flak jacket!

Trophy hunters first set their sights on polar bears in significant numbers in Alaska in the 1950s. With planes, helicopters and snowmobiles, polar bear populations in Alaska were accessible for the first time to trophy hunters. Enough polar bears were killed by trophy hunters in Alaska in the 1950s and 1960s to cause significant damage to polar bear populations and to spark global concern about the need to enact policies to ensure the survival of polar bears

• Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

May be difficult - she's the Head of Fleet Services' PA, so trains, police cars, fire engines etc......not parks n gardens. However the Minister for Infrastructure is a friend so I can tell you where to send the brown envelope....oops.

TBH it may be difficult for an incomer to 'make a difference' in the job, I imagine the staff may well be 'somewhat' set in their ways.  It is 1957 here after all, and I don't mean three minutes to eight!  It sounds like you've had enough hassle in your life to take on any more.

Shouldn't be a problem I just initiate a plan of back to basics circa turn of the nineteen century that will involve redeployment of bipedal capacity  in order to maximise the department's full potential. In English that's I'll sack the lot and say we are rewilding the island. By the time the proverbial starts flying I'll have resigned and will be counting the 'brown envelopes'. Speaking of which as I won't have moved there do you think HMG will object if a don't pay any tax? 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 15

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Rock n' Roll, nice cars & bikes, mini skirts incoming.....

Where do I sign?

Yes. 1957.

• Sputnik and the fear that the Soviets could lob nuclear weapons (demonstrated in 1949) anywhere in the world
  • The Suez Canal was still closed due to the Suez crisis through March
  • The Châu Đốc massacre in the Republic of Vietnam by anti-Diệm insurgents - likely Viet Minh
  • The Malayan emergency was winding down but it would represent the largest loss of life for British servicemen to that point (ultimately 1,443) since the Second World War
  • Israel withdrew forces from Sinai and then the Gaza strip
  • The US detonated 29 nuclear devices in Operation Plumbbob in the Nevada test site

Oodles of fun.

In 1957 in Britain "rock n' roll" meant Tommy Steele. But Buddy Holly and his Crickets would record "That'll be the Day" and Jerry Lee Lewis recorded "Great balls of fire". 

And Mary Quant would not "invent" the mini-skirt until 1963.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

just initiate a plan of back to basics circa turn of the nineteen century

You could probably go back to the 9th century for inspiration and be accused of being modern by some of the people round here…

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think the council will take away a dead fox from the roadside but are not responsible for removing them from private property. Hopefully they will tell you who to contact. 

A dead animal is a health hazard and as such is the responsibility of the council.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes. 1957.

• Sputnik and the fear that the Soviets could lob nuclear weapons (demonstrated in 1949) anywhere in the world
  • The Châu Đốc massacre in the Republic of Vietnam by anti-Diệm insurgents - likely Viet Minh
  • The Malayan emergency was winding down but it would represent the largest loss of life for British servicemen to that point (ultimately 1,443) since the Second World War
  • The US detonated 29 nuclear devices in Operation Plumbbob in the Nevada test site

Oodles of fun.

In 1957 in Britain "rock n' roll" meant Tommy Steele. But Buddy Holly and his Crickets would record "That'll be the Day" and Jerry Lee Lewis recorded "Great balls of fire". 

Yeah well they deserved Tommy Steele - 

What was wrong with using Wales? 

And what did we get out of it -  mutant *#%$^& wildlife that tries to kill us all the time.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

We have a Los Angeles channel on our cable TV.

The other day we watched a police chase (started in the middle, so we didn't find out why).  It started on a freeway and then the guy pulled off onto a city street.  He managed to thread his way through 4 lanes of traffic, drove on the sidewalk at one point and ended up boxed in by a pickup truck trying to be helpful -- head on meet at very low speed.  Then a funny 5 minutes as the police stood back 50 feet and the guy tried to crawl out his window and caught his pants on something.

There was commentary by the TV crew that stopping a car with your pickup that way wasn't a good idea as nobody was going to pay for any damage. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes. 1957.

Oodles of fun.

Is what's going on in the world now any better?

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Just getting light but from what I can see the sky is fairly cloudy.  A breezy, mild and cloudy day forecast here with spells of sunshine and variable cloud. 14°C rising to 20°C. 

Up early for a Sunday, must be the excitement of today's Jolly Boys Outing.  Son Steve's picking me up at 09.00 along with Abbie's boyfriend James and we're off to the IWM at Duxford. Not been there before so really looking forward to it.

As I posted yesterday most of the day was spent watching 3 rugby matches finishing up with terrific battle between Ireland and South Africa.   I bet some all of those lads will be feeling a few aches and pains this morning and then some.

Another muggatea called for but it's a bit early to take one up to The Boss, I suspect she would not appreciate it at the moment.

In 1957 an eight year old GDB  Robert as he was then was quite enjoying his young  life and insulated from all those major hassles occurring around the world,

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

Another cr@p night, all thanks to a bluddy no.1 call at 01:50am.  Turdycurses.  And then awake at 05:30, with diddly squat chance of finding snoozybearland again.  Double TC's.

Today?  Well it could involve danglin' - or it might not.....Bear is "pondering".

Headline news at the moment seems to be that Firearms Officers are handing their Tickets back in (over a hundred so far, allegedly) as they're concerned that "one of their own" has been charged with murder (I'll let the Courts decide that one) and I suspect it's making them think "what if that happened to me?"  I was a bit surprised to learn (according to Google) that a Firearms Officer doesn't get paid more than a regular.

Also in Wales a petition has topped 400K against the 20mph limit - the previous record for a petition in Wales was 67K, so I suspect that residents are a bit more narked that the Gov. realises.

ION......

This in the news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66900530

It sounds like Mom was trying to do the right thing;  I suspect the Police advice might be to "Hide the bl00dy car keys!!"

"Officers learned that "both children were upset with their mother because she took away their electronic devices, which is believed to have been done because they were not using them appropriately", the sheriff's office said.

Police added there was no reason to believe they were being mistreated at home.

The children's mother drove three hours north to Alachua to collect her children.

"Our detectives did speak with their mother at length who was clearly doing her best to raise two young children and she was very receptive to the recommendations they provided in helping her get assistance," police said."

Bear Gone

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold

It seems our local council will only collect dead animals from the highway or Counci owned land and not private property.

https://www.sutton.gov.uk/w/roadkill-dead-animals?p_l_back_url=%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Ddead%2Bfox%2Bin%2Bgarden

Now I wonder how people would get round that one?  🤔

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Funny 3