The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

Apart from the time Aditi fell over in Boots the Chemist and had to deal with a hysterical manager who seemed more concerned about announcing it wasn’t his fault rather than helping her from the display unit she had landed in, having an incident in a shop or shopping centre is not a bad place to be. 

Many years ago, my father had a non-serious fall outside a Boots branch, and they rushed out and got him a seat to sit on until I'd returned to collect him!

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

The rivers ran with sewage to a much greater extent before it was privatised. At one point you couldn't sue because it was state owned, as you couldn't sue the NHS . Safety levels have increased and sewage levels have greatly reduced since privatisation.... just not fast enough..

The ACA( Anglers Co-operative Association) famously successfully sued many Water Authorities in the post war years up to the 1990's when it was swallowed up by other organisations and lost it's way, water companies were in genuine fear of being caught out at one time. Rivers were cleaner than they have ever been since the beginning of the industrial revolution(not all of them of course) Salmon and trout were returning to rivers like the Thames, the Trent, the Clyde, so many were in superb condition, now even the formerly pristine rivers of Scotland are being polluted, not by industry or farmers, but by private water companies, the Spey has been hit recently with a mysterious pollution .

• Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Apparently the Island now meets the conditions for statehood. 

That's not going to happen. The existing states have to vote to admit new states. Neither Puerto Rico or DC are being seriously considered and they have larger populations that the smallest states:

Puerto Rico: 3.3m

District of Columbia: 671k

Vermont: 647k

Wyoming: 581k

American Samoa: 45k

Like the possessions DC has no voting member in the house. States get two senators. Small states have an enormous (relative) influence in the Senate. Admitting new states introduces two new senators for each state and changes the power dynamics in that chamber.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

FP5 had a sad fate.

Reminds me of the DeAutremont Brothers, who dynamited the mail car of Southern Pacific Railroad, Train No. 13 travelling south to California in southern Oregon in 1923.

The local PBS station has a nice documentary on the story - Murder on the Southern Pacific. It was a highly sensationalized train robbery at the time.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

It is 1957 here after all, and I don't mean three minutes to eight!  It sounds like you've had enough hassle in your life to take on any more.

Rock n' Roll, nice cars & bikes, mini skirts incoming.....

Where do I sign?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 17

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Is it just me,

No.

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

is ER taking a long time to initially display?

Yes - even longer to post. Once a page is fully loaded it is OK.

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'm thinking that its something to do with 12311 pages...

Doubt it. It only loads one page at a time. I believe it is something else. It was working fine with 10 or so fewer pages.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear watched the Pollyticks Show a few days ago.....

"Will HS2 be going to Manchester?"

Her from the Big House:  "The Gov is committed to delivering HS2....."

"Yes, but will it be going to Manchester?"

"To Manchester?"

FFS

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's just been a naughty Cub.....

Snuck in on a sale on the 'bay using a snipe tool - that's another green diesel choo choo added to the collection at a pretty good price (one I've been after for a while).  Big Tick.

I was a regular user of sniping apps when I used that site. Not a surefire wag of winning an auction but it certainly increased your chances significantly. 

Most stuff I might be interested in now has a Buy It Now option or can be found cheaper elsewhere. 

The days when Ebay was the site to which one upload (and possibly sold some of) your household tat are very long gone. It has been the home of businesses and scammers of all sizes for a long time now. And my Bidnapper account us long-closed. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

thanks to the fitting of fibre optic cable into the house and I've been Haloed(if there is such a verb),

These days, any noun can be verbed.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TheQ said:

The rivers ran with sewage to a much greater extent before it was privatised. At one point you couldn't sue because it was state owned, as you couldn't sue the NHS . Safety levels have increased and sewage levels have greatly reduced since privatisation.... just not fast enough..

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

The ACA( Anglers Co-operative Association) famously successfully sued many Water Authorities in the post war years up to the 1990's when it was swallowed up by other organisations and lost it's way, water companies were in genuine fear of being caught out at one time. Rivers were cleaner than they have ever been since the beginning of the industrial revolution(not all of them of course) Salmon and trout were returning to rivers like the Thames, the Trent, the Clyde, so many were in superb condition, now even the formerly pristine rivers of Scotland are being polluted, not by industry or farmers, but by private water companies, the Spey has been hit recently with a mysterious pollution .

The point is that the laws concerning discharge of sewage into waterways are explicit. Several water companies have deliberately flouted the law and tried to cover it up. What is worse Ofwat has turned a blind eye and the government has given the same companies permission to charge the clean up costs to their customers (remember they are monopolies). 

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening all from Estuary-Land. I went upstairs to change over a couple of hours ago and decided to have a little (half an hour) eyelid inspection that turned into two hours, hence my being late on parade. Time to put the dinner on, toad in the hole.

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Several water companies have deliberately flouted the law and tried to cover it up.

They thought they could sweep it under the carpet and didn't realise that couldn't be done with water...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear watched the Pollyticks Show a few days ago.....

"Will HS2 be going to Manchester?"

"Yes, but will it be going to Manchester?"

"To Manchester?"

FFS

Bring back the old Today on R4 with Naughtie and Humphrys....

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Bring back the old Today on R4 with Naughtie and Humphrys....

People who go on the radio nowadays have had training. They know exactly how long they have to last as programmes like “Today” have specific times they have to end interviews for, for instance, the weather forecast or a sports bulletin. So they practice not answering the question for about 10 minutes by using repetition or evasion. They make sure they are talking at the crucial end of interview time. These people,don’t go on the radio to answer question, but to make statements.  Until news reporters/journalists saying “thank you for coming in, you haven’t answered my question, goodbye,” it will continue. 

Of course sometimes you do see or hear some really inept performances, but it is usually because a more junior representative has been sacrificed by a more senior. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Rock n' Roll, nice cars & bikes, mini skirts incoming.....

Where do I sign?

I know it isn’t a popular opinion but I don’t want it to be like 1957 again. About the most excitement a small child could have was the hope,of finding a Colorado beetle and claiming the reward. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Fitting a stepper motor to,something like this would be an interesting challenge. 
IMG_0126.jpeg.4e01964ced1a5863feebdfe020f9e5eb.jpeg

I am afraid I cheated  when I felt the need for a turntable and got a Heljan one. It isn’t in use at present but I may dig it out and use it in some sort of engine shed layout.

"B*illo' l*comotives have sound now and are, thankfully at son's, pretty robust.  Having said that when here GS has been 'good' on the N but since seeing Thomas  always asks for it.

• Like 14