The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Oh yes and I cooked the sausages and mashed the potatoes this evening.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Soss'n'mash!

Think I'll have that tomorrow as I had Fission Chips today...

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening all from Estuary-Land. Been a busy day today, thats why I didn't look in this afternoon.  I was straightening out a few things in the garden until about five when the heavens opened up. Afterwards I had to keep an eye out for Hippo's @Happy Hippo as a muddy hollow appeared in the garden after the rain. I couldn't do any more in the garden so I took a long soak in the bath. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

When I stayed in London in April. I got a good deal at the Barking Travelodge.  Close to Barking station good well equipped room but no catering.  Talking to a market Inspector I found a really good greasy spoon with for mica tables about half a mile away across the park. Poached egg and beans on toast with a mug of tea, generous portions for about £4.00

Jamie

Could heavens Jamie is that still there. Used to call in that cafe after checking the park. Did you use the carpark in the park? If so you have me to thank for that.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Could heavens Jamie is that still there. Used to call in that cafe after checking the park. Did you use the carpark in the park? If so you have me to thank for that.

No I was on foot having flown over. I had to walk across the park diagonally past the ruined Abbey from where the market was. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

OTOH, I still remember my surprise at village names in Slovenia when I made a couple of day trips from Austria - looked as if there was a shortage of vowels, e.g. they call the city which is now in Italy but was part of the Habsburg empire 'Trst'.

As opposed to Poland with it's surplus of Z's and W's .

• Like 6
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather changed again this morning, so after I’d returned from the big orange DIY shed, I went outside and did a bit of gardening. We’d bought some plants at Bridgewater when went there on Monday, so they were planted. 

Charlie came round this after dinner, so we spent a very pleasant afternoon in the workshop, but he left early, as he was meeting up with a friend in Manchester this evening. 

• Like 18

Slightly surprised to be informed by MrsID today that I'm actually a year older than I thought I was.

The Blender escapade continues. I found this this video pretty much explains it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6lSSGPhb4U

All pretty obvious really 😀  Now I think I'll have some transcendental medication and lie down for a bit.

• Like 18

7 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

And according to Wikipedia (so maybe untrue) "Braunschweig from Low German Brunswiek, local dialect: Bronswiek [ˈbrɔˑnsviːk])" - dialect variations across german-speaking areas are still very pronounced, but to me Brunswick sounds like a reasonable English attempt at the real name.

Given the general area from where the United Kingdom of England and Scotland imported some kings (königs?*), there was a specific reason for having an Anglicized version for Brunswick and the relevance of "Brunswick green".

* Dukes / electors or whatever.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

However, the one that really gets my goat is "airplane" and I'm hoping there will be a good number of our more air-minded members who will agree with me on this.

Contemporaneous reports of the Wright Brothers called it a "flying machine", but the early developers of the innovation were French.

So perhaps it should be le avion, n'est-ce pas?

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

15 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I doubt "sack" is used for sherry or madeira these days either.

Sack is used frequently. Usually as "Dry Sack" Medium Sherry a blend of Palomino and Pedro Ximenez. 

A distinctive blend of Palomino and Pedro Ximenez grapes. Aged in oak casks for 6 years in the traditional Solera method. Intense aromas of dried nuts. Full-bodied and balanced. Lightly sweet, not too dry nor too sweet.

Sherry is of course an Anglicization of Jerez (pronounced, approximately, as yair-eth); the region where it is made being Jerez de la Frontera (and a lovely place to visit).

Under the official name of Jerez-Xérès-Sherry, it is one of Spain's wine regions, a Denominación de Origen Protegida (DOP). The word sherry is an anglicisation of Xérès (Jerez). Sherry was previously known as sack, from the Spanish saca, meaning "extraction" from the solera.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

On 20/09/2023 at 13:58, Erichill16 said:

I’ve not had to read all posts.

I am far behind as well. I am sure there are many posts that won't be read. Some have, some are skipped.

EDIT:

And the website is v.e.r.y, v.e.r.y. slow at publishing posts this evening.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Agree 5

5 hours ago, polybear said:

No Cake for a Month** - so that'll be 22nd October if my sumz are correct.  Why? Just for the hell of it, really - and to see if I lose any weight as a result, ...

Without being at all facetious, unless pizza and chips are also off the menu I'd be surprised that omitting cake will have any measurable impact on the scales, and sadly so. But a turn of the moon sans cake won't hurt.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I smiled this morning when I saw this one in Pasir Panjang, the APL Singapura, registered in Singapore. So the ship is named after Singapore using the Malay name but the port of registration uses the English name.

Box160.JPG

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

A good thing about Malay/Indonesian is it is not tonal and pronunciation is very easy for English speakers, with no alien sounds. Japanese is pretty straightforward for that too, though you need to master the written scripts. Unlike languages like Mandarin and (god help us) Vietnamese which are highly tonal, use all sorts of alien sounds and are painful for English speakers (and I'm sure most other western language speakers) to properly master. I'm sure they have lots of fun at our expense, it's as much about how you say it as learning the words.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PupCam said:

"TRENITALIA" !        Sounds more like gynaecology than a railway company!

As c2c has been said to stand for “Chavs to Chalkwell” perhaps you could arrange a visit there to test the theory 🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

13 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I suspect none at all in the places @iL Dottore will be sleeping in.

Really Tony, places? PlaceS??? 

You make me sound like some aging Swiss Lothario, a Helvetic Casanova*

”Tonight it’s Lady Antonia, tomorrow it the Countess of Epping and on the weekend it’s the Duchess of Bradford…..”

Hardly.

* I wish. The spirit may be willing and all that…§

§ which, when you come to think about it, is why God invented Railway Modelling!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12