The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Fit legs to four of the hinges, then assess the thickness of the hinge leg assembly , then start making out boards to accommodate this.

Rather than hinged legs, my latest "baseboard support" scheme involves screw in legs.  I've got the mounting plates and leg inserts, its just a question of getting around to attaching them...

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Alright, what’s happening to the weather, someone has nicked the grey skies and rain and replaced it with blue skies and sunshine, I don’t what the hell is going on! Oh, hang on, I can see some more grey clouds again, panic over. 

Back to today, Sheila is busy getting herself ready for her Zumba class, so I’m sat in the dining room keeping well out of the way, my chauffeuring services will be required once she’s ready. I shall then head off to the big orange DIY shed for a small bag of gravel and a small bag of sharp sand. These are required to re-level the small section of drive after the water company dug up when they fixed the leak. When they back filled the hole, they used the earth that had been dug up and that was absolutely sodden and has since sunk, it’s not sunk as much as I anticipated, but it still need doing. I’m not doing it just yet, I think the ground is still too wet at the moment, I’m just getting the stuff ready for when we do get a dry spell. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

When I was at sea you always knew there was someone with a serious drink problem when you checked the first aid lockers and someone had drank the medical alcohol. Other classic signs were filling soft drinks cans with a spirit of choice and putting ring pulls back on and finding cases of beer in the refrigeration plant rooms before port calls in places like Saudi Arabia. The thing was if you suggested that being unable to last less than 24 hours without alcohol (container ships don't long in port) indicated a problem people would go bonkers.

I knew a guy that was based in Saudi for a while; every now & then the Manager would call in one of the Guys, hand over his passport and a ticket and told him to get out NOW cos' his place was about to/had just been raided.....and the locals weren't happy.

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

The alcoholics were Injecting oranges with vodka before flights on  Saudi Air on the way out or injecting them with "sadiqi" on the way back. Sadiqi actually means friend in Arabic, it's a home brew spirit.. like potcheen. 

Some out in Saudi were very creative in making home brew spirits and flavours.

At one point (maybe still are?) the down & outs were nickin' hand gel from the Hospitals, mixing it with orange juice and drinking that.

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Plans for today,

Fit the radio GPS, it's the only way to test it. If it works, down load the off line maps. I note on the leaflet that came with it, that there is a hand written update to the memory, the 32GB is crossed out and 64GB written in. If that's true, then I've been sent a unit worth nearly £100 more than I paid.

There was mention on the radio this morning of a guy (in the US?) following Google Maps and driving off a bridge that hadn't been there for 9 years.  It didn't end well.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I think I've read all the posts, I was a late starter this morning as I was awake during the night - I've no idea why.

The day looks as though it will be a typical Thursday, so there is no need for me to write it down in detail.  It's a lovely sunny morning though much cooler, the forecast says it might manage to stay dry - or there again it might not.

I have to be somewhere else in a few minutes so that's it for now.

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Hroth said:

If they included Welsh, then all speed limits would have to be reduced to 20mph*....

* 32kph in new money

Overcoming the issue as long ago as 6 years... 

• Funny 17

1 hour ago, polybear said:

There was mention on the radio this morning of a guy (in the US?) following Google Maps and driving off a bridge that hadn't been there for 9 years.  It didn't end well.

There was a major rebuild done of a freeway near here, involving creation of new junctions and modifications of existing ones. While the work was in progress, there were large signs at the start and end of the changes, and on on-ramps, saying “Do not trust your GPS!”.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I did have a go at him over that particular item but he complained that I was merely picking on him because of my size advantage.

Dave

Now if a certain Bear were to hide his bike keys (all his bike keys....) until he can prove he's made a reasonable start....

No more bimbles might just focus his attention somewhat.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

BBC News article .   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66873982

Using the details from that I've found this which appears to be the bridge in question

and the creek .   https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@35.7815555,-81.2829893,3a,90y,190.68h,80.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sArMLkfbz7t5rV67EagZqmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

The  Scots Gaidhlig for London is Lunnainn, for Cardiff  is Caerdydd, for Edinburgh is Dùn Èideann.

And similarly in Welsh where London is Llundain, Cardiff is Caerdydd and so on.  

Cornish place names are as much a mix of old Cornish, modern Cornish and “Sawsenek” (literally Saxonage) which is the Cornish term for English. 

Some are recognisably anglicised; some may well be “kernified” which is the converse.  Some appellations are pure fake originating among those who wish to use only the Cornish language. 

Porthia / St Ives - the beach of St Ia (otherwise St Hya) who allegedly landed there from Ireland

Paul - anglicised from its full parish name of St Pol de Léon which also has a like-named village in Brittany but not of ancient Cornish origin

Heyl / Hayle - a direct anglicisation of the Cornish word meaning estuary

Aberfal / Falmouth - a fake kernification since there are no “aber” prefixes in Cornish as there are in Welsh.  The name Falmouth is pure English, the mouth of the River Fal, which place was once known as Pennycomequick.  That in turn may derive from “pen y cwm cuic” or the head / headland of the Cuic valley. One of the rivers feeding the estuary is now the Percuil which has probably been corrupted from Percuic (narrow cove) however noted authority the late Craig Wetherhill suggests “Pennycomequick” is a reference to the area’s prosperity and whose English name can be traced to a very early - for western Cornwall - reference to “Falemuth” in the 13th Century. 

There is another “Pennycomequick” in Plymouth. Also a large natural harbour with associated prosperity. The name here is local to the area immediately north of the railway station serviced by the pub of the same name. 

In Cardiff, where Welsh precedes English but all announcements and information is bilingual, trains run to Llundain, Manceinion (Manchester), Caergybi (Holyhead) and the odd-sounding Harbŵr Portsmouth. But not to Pensans, only to Penzance. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pH said:

There was a major rebuild done of a freeway near here, involving creation of new junctions and modifications of existing ones. While the work was in progress, there were large signs at the start and end of the changes, and on on-ramps, saying “Do not trust your GPS!”.

The same is currently true in mid-Cornwall. The single-lane Carland Cross - Chiverton Cross section of the A30 is being replaced with a new dual-carriageway with associated frequent changes to junctions and turns. 

More than one vehicle has gone the wrong way around the relocated Chiverton Cross roundabout which is now a half-mile east of its old location and will eventually be beneath rather than a part of the A30. 

Signage hasn’t bern exemplary. I have driven through a few times and found it confusing. No direction signs, very little to indicate that the traffic cone in the middle of the tarmac was actually a roundabout (!!) but several big “Do Not Follow GPS” signs some of which were supplemented with “Local roads unsuitable for through traffic”. As indeed they are. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

20 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

And "claret" from clairet that was extended to any Bordeaux wine whatever the relative pellucidity* of the wine. There are a bunch of 'old' English wine terms (like hock**) that wine merchants tend to avoid these days.

* Transparency / translucency

** From Hochheimer, today Riesling.

Then there's valet and fillet where in the US, French (ish) pronunciations are used.

Yet despite nicknames (like champers etc) people make an effort to pronounce Champagne.

I doubt "sack" is used for sherry or madeira these days either.

I am not sure I have heard much effort to pronounce champagne as anything other than "shampain". Certainly not "shampanya" as I assume the French do

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, TheQ said:

The alcoholics were Injecting oranges with vodka before flights on  Saudi Air on the way out or injecting them with "sadiqi" on the way back. Sadiqi actually means friend in Arabic, it's a home brew spirit.. like potcheen. 

Some out in Saudi were very creative in making home brew spirits and flavours.

You certainly can't get a decent whisky in Scotland for £18, but the law is against the alcoholics who are happy drinking anything just above paraffin in quality.

Never had thick custard at school, unless you count the lumps in the runny liquid, tasteless whether pink or yellow. The thick ones were frogs spawn, semolina or rice, all were too thick to use as wall paper paste, and the flavour was the burnt skin on top.

My dad had a near neighbour friend who was making more from his sadiqi still than his day job in the 70's, and he wasn't on the Saudi expat equivalent of minimum wage (he was a subsea coded welder). My dad always said the saddest cases in Saudi were people who went there to try and dry out thinking they'd have no choice who then discovered sadiqi and the shadow expat drinking culture and ended up in a far worse state than if they'd stayed at home.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17