The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

It's a grey start to the day and rain is due within the hour.  A breezy day with some showers forecast but it might brighten up later this afternoon.  15°C now rising to 19°C.

First task today is a visit to a vaccination centre for our Covid boosters at 10.00.  It is walkable but in view of the chance of rain I'll probably drive there.  After that more muddling may be on the agenda.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

46 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Morning All

Day off today….HA! Fat chance. 

Nope, I’m gonna be busy today. Dropping number two cub into Gotham City this morning for college. Next drop over to visit an old mate to collect some of my stuff I’d left there years ago. Back home, but with no time to get comfortable as I’ve got to drop number one cub to the station and a medical appointment around midday. After that remove passenger front wheel from ride on tractor mower and take it in for repair. Then collect drugs from pharmacy, because they didn’t have the full quantity last week. Back home remove knackered window furniture from bathroom window and install the new ones. 

…….and it is raining and windy. 

Back to work tomorrow…..for a rest. 🤪

Have a great day all.

ATB Grizz

So what's the contact details for Grizz Cabs or are you 'high' tech with an app?

Just like to know as it's always handy to have a reliable cab cum handyman service available.🤣

• Like 4
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Blowing a hooley this morning, just as well I secured the gate otherwise it could be off of it's hinges by now. The Norwegian weather forecast that so far has proved to be more accurate than many others is saying that apart from a slight shower about lunch time its staying dry today. Not so tomorrow, they are predicting heavy rain in the afternoon.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s just stopped raining, but it’s still grey and dull, there’s also quite a bit of wind out there too. So, as I predicted last night, the day will be spent in the cellar. My main task is to get the architrave around the inner door finished off. After that, I will start moving the last few bits back to the workshop so that I can clear the room ready for putting the laminate flooring down. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Returned from the vaccination centre we are.  Chaos!  Car park was rammed but I managed to find a space in the road.  Long queues and they were accepting walk ins as well as appointments and the walk ins seemed to think they didn't have to join a queue.  One poor sod trying to control all that but he was good and sending people to the back of the queue and telling others quite firmly that cones were put in place to stop them going that way and were not for stepping over.  I think I would have been a lot more vocal (and nearly was) but he got the job done.  Bonus jab received as they were offering the flu vaccine as well so got both arms done, jabber was very good, couldn't feel a thing.  Didn't get a sweetie or sticker though. It will save having to go to the surgery in 2 weeks time.  Now having a muggacoffee and a biscuit and then I will toddle off to The Shed.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

20230919_073039533.jpeg.e86615f8747094be7401eaa7981b4c96.jpeg

You can see the variety of bins the inhabitants have to cope with...

There's nothing quite like wheelie bins for making a presentable building look like a complete sh1tt'ole.

43 minutes ago, Barry O said:

If I am really good.......

Not much danger then.....

5 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Otherwise, sadly, it sounded all too accurate. I found hospitals very noisy and it was difficult to distinguish between all the beeps. Once I was convinced my neighbour was in serious trouble - he wasn't, it was just the machine beeps were different and meant different things, instead of he's dying, it was one of my IV meds was empty and needed changing. Oh, well I guess the nurse needed calling anyway!  And the nighttime BP, pulse and oxygen checks were very disruptive of sleep patterns and they wouldn't let me catch up during the day. Better off outside. 

Best wishes for everyone. 

Beeps?  Easily fixed:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/patient-had-to-dial-999-from-hospital-bed-after-nurse-silenced-vital-kit/ar-AA1gTxAH?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4f7d36ee6c0f488d9ab92a42b3b2ac5c&ei=34

Bear here....

Well Moaning Myrtle was predicting a 50% risk of a light shower over Bear Towers - but Alexa reckoned not, so Bear went with Alexa's (much nicer) answer and started painting Window 2.

Stupid C0w.

At 0945 Bear felt spots of rain - fortunately the Window (less frame) was just about done at this point, apart from the two vertical window beads; the rain wasn't sufficient to bvgger things up so a Tick has been awarded - it's possible I might get the beading (and possibly the frame) painted later today.

After that I painted the wallpaper fix carried out yesterday in the muddlin' room, followed by a visit to the joys of the Bottle Bank, Chemist and Co-op**, so that's another Tick awarded.

**Absolutely zero goodies from the Cake Dept. fell into Bear's trolley, despite there being a LDC in the reduced section 😢  How's that for willpower?

Right, ironing to do......

BG

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

12 hours ago, Tony_S said:

There are probably many years worth of strategically stored oven chips in bunkers to keep the nation going. In recent years there were toilet roll shortages and no pasta but never oven chip deprivation

Come the Zombie Apocalypse, the survivors will have stripped shops and supermarkets bare of everything edible and the Zombie hordes rampage around outside, hungry for human flesh

Although you have lost your friends and loved ones, you are safe in your bunker but you ONLY have the following left to eat.

1. Oven Chips
  2. Turkey Twizzlers
  3. Pot Noodles

Would you still have the will to survive????

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Come the Zombie Apocalypse, the survivors will have stripped shops and supermarkets bare of everything edible and the Zombie hordes rampage around outside, hungry for human flesh

Although you have lost your friends and loved ones, you are safe in your bunker but you ONLY have the following left to eat.

1. Oven Chips
  2. Turkey Twizzlers
  3. Pot Noodles

If it were a choice between Turkey Twizzlers and cannibalism.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

I learnt this morning that cleverer people than myself do not know how planes fly - could it actually be magic???

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/no-one-can-explain-why-planes-stay-in-the-air/

To keep it simple Bernoulli’s theorem states that the curvature of the top of the wing versus the flatness of the bottom creates lift, but the Newtonian zealots then go -"Ha, but what about planes that fly upside down when the flat bit is at the top!"

It's magic I tell you and now I don't want to step inside another aircraft in case it loses it's magic! 🤣

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning (Pre-munch) All

7 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Perhaps the time to worry is when the machine stops beeping.

Or starts beeping differently in my case.    I asked a nurse at one point but she just switched it to a different mode ........   

That's the trouble with having an engineering background; I have an enquiring mind and that did it no favours at all!

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Apart from that it'll be a MIUABGAD.

Railway Muddling time then!

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

CAn I play too!?

Excellent!

ION

I really ought to start stripping the disc caliper off of the RD so I can find out what's wrong.     I suspect when of the pins on which it floats is slightly corroded and will either require cleaning (if I'm lucky) or replacement (if I'm not).    Whilst it's apart I may well take the opportunity of cleaning and painting the casting.  Years of brake fluid spillage have removed most of the original paint!     And then again, I might go up to the brake lever mounting and master cylinder and do the same for the same reason.

Yesterday saw Puppers installing a sound decoder and speaker into a new  Dapol 7mm Jinty thing.    The operation was only partially successful with basic forward and backward movement occurring buyt not the slightest squeak out of the speaker.    I also note that said item moves silently in reverse but is quite noisy going forward.   As I've had it new but unused for some time TCs may apply.

Puppers Out!

Edited by PupCam
Got distracted and posted before I'd finished a bit!
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

you ONLY have the following left to eat.

1. Oven Chips
  2. Turkey Twizzlers
  3. Pot Noodles

Based upon the healthy good looks of certain Pot Noodle-eating folks hereabouts I would most definitely be willing to survive!!!  

May I offer as evidence the student diet which seems to include little more by way of semi-solid sustenance than the aforementioned. And may I also offer the delights (to the eyes only these days) of the Kingston and St Mary’s Universities students who have joined our population this week. 

It is interbreeding Fresher’s Week once more. Despite the distinctly autumnal weather there seems to be a very summer-like body-parade in progress. 

The newly-arrived have disported themselves Upon the Hill of Strawberries and were found last evening awaiting their conveyance in large numbers but small garments.  

I have been reminded of some aspects of human geography including the “compare and contrast” of tattoos and piercings. 

At least we have none in the block this year (and we are in any case departing next Moanday) to disturb us with their partying and other socially-popular activities. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, PupCam said:

not the slightest squeak out of the speaker.

Does it have an unusual function keypress for sound on? Years ago when I had US HO locomotives the function keys seemed fairly consistent but for instance on my Fell, if you press F1 to turn the sound on it won’t move. This is because F1 represents the starter motors. Before you can move you have to press F3 for the main engines. Getting my sound equipped Bachmann narrow gauge locos to stop was fun (definitely read the manual territory). Now all this clever loads of functions is fine if you use something like Decoder Pro and can customise your throttles but I am not sure what I will do,when I venture out to the garage and use conventional DCC controllers. 
I don’t plan on going out to the garage today, or even outside. It is beyond breezy here.  I haven’t seen any trampolines flying over yet though. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

1. Oven Chips
  2. Turkey Twizzlers
  3. Pot Noodles

Sure - so long as there's plenty of Tommy Sauce

22 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Turkey Twizzlers are really just Cotoletta  di Tacchino alla Milanese…

Now if that line doesn't get @iL Dottore choking on his cheese sarnie......

• Like 7
  • Funny 11

23 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Based upon the healthy good looks of certain Pot Noodle-eating folks hereabouts I would most definitely be willing to survive!!!  

May I offer as evidence the student diet which seems to include little more by way of semi-solid sustenance than the aforementioned. And may I also offer the delights (to the eyes only these days) of the Kingston and St Mary’s Universities students who have joined our population this week. 

It is interbreeding Fresher’s Week once more. Despite the distinctly autumnal weather there seems to be a very summer-like body-parade in progress. 

The newly-arrived have disported themselves Upon the Hill of Strawberries and were found last evening awaiting their conveyance in large numbers but small garments.  

I have been reminded of some aspects of human geography including the “compare and contrast” of tattoos and piercings. 

At least we have none in the block this year (and we are in any case departing next Moanday) to disturb us with their partying and other socially-popular activities. 

There did seem to be a large gaggle of fresh dancing girls (and boys) when I drove to Younger Lurker to school this morning

• Like 14