The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 hours ago, The Lurker said:

There was another one around 80,000 years ago too - affecting all but sub-Saharan Africans, who have a greater genetic variation than the rest of us

The great thing about studies based on DNA variation is it's basically applied arithmetic. I suspect bookies would be pretty good at it 😀

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

12 hours ago, PupCam said:

Excellent!

Took me back to my first days at work.      I could smell it!

Some people like to spend an arm and a leg on tube (valve) audio amplifiers. They claim their ears can detect the difference from solid-state amps. But I think it's their noses that are really detecting the difference. Valve amps emit a very distinctive aroma. It transports me right back to the sixties when I was the DJ at the discos we ran at our Scout hall 😆

I'd be surprised if someone isn't already selling "Valve Amp Aroma" in a spray can.

• Like 6
  • Funny 11

5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

We had our patio relaid with porcelain slabs

What is this magical porcelain that does not fracture easily? Normally when I think of porcelain (toilets, other bathroom fittings and tiles) they are quite susceptible to being struck (like with a hammer or a load of rocks).

Google did provide a lot of hits for porcelain pavers.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I had never heard of RAAC before. I looked it up, but it does seem to be a (mostly) British thing. It wasn't in my civil engineering concrete class.

I had to google it too and had to search through mainly   hits for the Royal Australian Armoured Corps before I found anything about concrete!

It has some  limited  use  in Aust apparently  in the form of lightweight concrete cladding panels, rather than used structurally or for load-bearing walls.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

Some people like to spend an arm and a leg on tube (valve) audio amplifiers. They claim their ears can detect the difference from solid-state amps. But I think it's their noses that are really detecting the difference. Valve amps emit a very distinctive aroma. It transports me right back to the sixties when I was the DJ at the discos we ran at our Scout hall 😆

I'd be surprised if someone isn't already selling "Valve Amp Aroma" in a spray can.

I wonder if anyone is still manufacturing Valves anymore?  ISTR that Russia** is/was the place for Valves, but I'm guessing that's no longer an option for the West anymore.

** I believe the Ruskies favour them for use in certain Aircraft, such as long range Bombers as they are less prone/immune to the effects of a Nuclear Blast, whereas IC's etc. can get very upset by it all.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

1 minute ago, polybear said:

** I believe the Ruskies favour them for use in certain Aircraft, such as long range Bombers as they are less prone/immune to the effects of a Nuclear Blast, whereas IC's etc. can get very upset by it all.

Probably a load of complete borlocks. It's all about induction.

Induction is the result of a change in a magnetic field (like a rotating magnet) "inducing" an electric current to flow in something conductive, like for example, a wire. (Which is how alternators work.) The length of the wire has a very great effect on the amount of "induction". (Just because you can't actually see it it doesn't mean it's FM) but the rate of change of the magnetic field has a lot to do with it too.

That pretty much describes ALL methods of transmitting radio energy anywhere including lightning strikes and EMP weapons.

EMP weapons (atomic bombs) produce gigantic and very rapid changes in the Earth's magnetic field (TBH I'm not sure why) and those changes are entirely capable of inducing sufficient sudden current changes in the rails of railway lines to buckle the carp out of them (a technical expression) but that's because the rails are long.

The interconnections in today's semiconductor chips are unbelievably short which means that it would require an unbelievably fast EMP event to actually damage them. (We know this because it's quite easy to simulate even more potentially destructive events with a simple static discharge gun.)

I could go on but I better not 😁

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AndyID said:

I once suggested that someone should produce the aroma of a steam loco as a perfume, coal smoke, steam and hot oil.  It certainly is a very attractive smell for many men.  The females in the family didn't think I was on to a winner. 

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I wonder if anyone is still manufacturing Valves anymore?  ISTR that Russia** is/was the place for Valves, but I'm guessing that's no longer an option for the West anymore.

I believe that there is a shortage of valves.  The Long Wave transmitter at Droitwichis due to be shut down next year. Allegedly this is to to a lack of spare valves. 

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still warm here too and a very sunny, dry and hot day is promised.  18°C now and 32°C is possible.

After breakfast I will head for The Shed until lunchtime or it gets too hot down there.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright, sunny and cloudless start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. The temperature is currently 14C and is expected to reach 27C later on. As I mentioned last night, we are going to Dunham Massey Hall today, we’ve never been in the hall itself, the last time we went the hall had only just been opened to the public, but was closed on the day we went. So we’re going to make a day of it by first talking a walk around the grounds and garden, then having some dinner. Then taking a walk around the house in the afternoon. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 19