The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Rocket Scientists are made of sterner stuff.

Here's a  bunch of Brit boffins in big baggy pants blowing things up in our backyard.  No cowering in the shady bits for them!

Bonus - features a who's who of 1950's RAF paraphernalia

Excellent!

Took me back to my first days at work.      I could smell it!

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, AndyID said:

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I think this is fascinating. Unlike many other mammal species humans are unusual in that we have a very small genetic "spread". In other words, we are all very closely related to one another. This research might explain why that is.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02712-4?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

There was another one around 80,000 years ago too - affecting all but sub-Saharan Africans, who have a greater genetic variation than the rest of us

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

First shunting training session complete.     Time for coffee and maybe even biscuits then 😀

You could be using the wagon in your earlier photo to shunt the biscuits for added fun!!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

.......but the jam tarts are all strawberry instead of mixed,

Sounds like a mighty fine mistake to this Bear.

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

First shunting training session complete.     Time for coffee and maybe even biscuits then 😀

"Maybe?"

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Excellent!

Took me back to my first days at work.      I could smell it!

Well not the smell of the office but yes the smell of the mechanical workshop and also the test site.

Happy Days!

Worst place to work in was the magazine. The flight table was ok, the office just smelled of stale coffee..and tobacco.

The visits to the production areas at St Evenage  were quite enlightening. I remember watching the latest "machining centre" turning an aluminium lump into a Milan missile body in no time flat...

Baz

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I did a bit of garden tidying this morning, just deadheading and removing the weeds which I am sure were not there yesterday.  I made sure I know what I want doing to the paths etc.  I may also get some shrubs trimmed which would save me doing them this autumn.

Then I drove to the beach and had a nice walk on the prom.  It was very calm again and there were even people swimming.  All the birds except the starlings had gone somewhere else for the day.  There was a very gentle sea breeze which strengthened a bit as the day went on so it has not been too hot but I have still had the blinds shut on the sunny side of the house. The bin men came just as I got back so I spent a long time chatting to neighbours while we put our bins away, as always we have put the world to rights.

This afternoon I fell asleep - a few nights of poor sleep have caught up on me.  Cloud is now rolling in off the sea, I think that shortly it will become a sea fret for the evening, the forecast is that it may clear by lunchtime tomorrow for a few hours so the temperature could reach 18C.

Shortly it will be time for tea than I may watch some cricket - or I might just read again.

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Barry O said:

Erm.. how can I break this to you?  I was... a rocket scientist......

Baz

As a geologist I too was a rocket scientist 

No wait 

That’s rocket scientist 🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Well not the smell of the office but yes the smell of the mechanical workshop and also the test site.

Happy Days!

Worst place to work in was the magazine. The flight table was ok, the office just smelled of stale coffee..and tobacco.

The visits to the production areas at St Evenage  were quite enlightening. I remember watching the latest "machining centre" turning an aluminium lump into a Milan missile body in no time flat...

Baz

"That smell" when walking into a machine shop - if only......

St Evanage?  As for the "machine shop" - well, there's a grand total of TWO people working in there now....

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

@PupCam @polybear

Saw this and thought of you.....

FB_IMG_16939247105861.jpg.4cba951bde09be6f65571bd871288e15.jpg

The yellow one please.....

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went down to Tess Coes this afternoon and stocked up on cold liquids of the non-alcoholic variety. Watching the six o'clock news they showed buildings that were crumbling due to being built with RAAC. There are houses on this estate with concrete window sills that are crumbling in exactly the same way. Luckily my house (built c.1959) has no evidence of that concrete, the houses affected are of a slightly later build.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

It's been a bit 'ot 'ere as it probably has everywhere else.  Spent a some time in The Shed but gave up when it got up to 30°C and I started to melt.   Had a lazy rest of the afternoon and then enjoyed a cold Speckled Hen at beer o'clock.  Followed that with an air fried gammon steak which was most enjoyable.  After dinner went out and watered the garden and had a chat with mate Russ next door.  He's had the gas man in for two days fitting a combi boiler and is very impressed with the results and cleanliness etc.  We also spoke about England's Rugby World Cup prospects....that part of the chat didn't last long.

Now waiting for Celebrity Masterchef on the box  although the Celebrity bit is probably somewhat exaggerated.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I mentioned about the next door buy-to-let having the entire back garden paved. I noticed today that the slabs are porcelain which are more expensive than most other slabs. The house has been empty more than occupied over the last five years so generating no income for the owners.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1