The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Baz, hope all goes well with your missus. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I wonder how they survived until the British and French governments forced the Chinese to allow merchants to trade opium. 

I don't think people in Europe and the US really know how perceptions towards our countries are still influenced by history in much of the world. 

The opium wars are largely unknown on our side of the world, few ask the question how European countries ended up with concessions in China. 

That is played up by the CPC and there's no doubt a degree of chipp-ishness is a result of propagandizing but it goes much deeper than that and people in  Taiwan, Hong Kong and Anglo-Chinese tend to share much of the resentment from how China was treated in the 19th and 20th centuries. And that's before considering the trauma of the war with Japan which was a vicious war with similar barbarity to what was seen in Eastern Europe in WW2 (people are much less open about Mao's excesses and the cultural revolution for obvious reasons). And these views are very similar to how attitudes have been influenced by those eras in much of Asia, Africa and what is now called the global South.

We can't change history,  nor does history excuse the inexcusable in contemporary politics but it is helpful to try and study the past and understand how it still influences the modern world.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

16 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Our meter is still read by a meter reader on a regular basis.

It depends on the meter. The electricity meter has it's own private RF network with which it 'phones home. The water meter is read by a human on a motor scooter. I have never even inspected the gas meter, but assume it has a remote transmit function of some kind. They are all located outdoors.

16 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The philosophy here seems to be to maintain a lot of what might be derided as low value jobs which can easily be automated or abolished as deliberate policy to support societal cohesion and provide opportunities to those less well positioned to get more demanding jobs.

Until a couple of weeks ago it was (mostly) illegal to pump your own gas/petrol in Oregon - largely for the employment reason. 

• Informative/Useful 17

35 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I don't think people in Europe and the US really know how perceptions towards our countries are still influenced by history in much of the world. 

It is largely because whatever little history might be taught is permeated with the us=good / them=questionable mindset.

Without being (too) political, there is a movement in the US to ban anything that might make students who are of European descent "feel bad" about the facts of US history. The people who support this movement often refer to those who support teaching actual history with terms like "woke" and "snowflakes".

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

My best wishes to Mrs Baz for a speedy resolution and successful treatment.

A 30cm x 20cm mass is not good news at all, no matter what the aetiology. I do hope Baz made a typo in his post and the mass is actually 30mm x 20mm - (which is concerning enough)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Agree 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is largely because whatever little history might be taught is permeated with the us=good / them=questionable mindset.

Without being (too) political, there is a movement in the US to ban anything that might make students who are of European descent "feel bad" about the facts of US history. The people who support this movement often refer to those who support teaching actual history with terms like "woke" and "snowflakes".

It seems that we have nutters on both sides of the fence.

Why, for heaven’s sake, should I be made to feel guilty because my Roman ancestors crucified criminals (often on the flimsiest of evidence) and - when on the warpath - committed genocide/war crimes (not infrequently when a hamlet or village resisted the Romans and refused to surrender, the Romans stormed the place, killed everyone - men, women, children - looted the place, burnt it to the ground and scattered the ground with salt)?

Equally, what’s the point of pretending that the Romans were basically good chaps that occasionally (and regretfully) had to execute some really bad people and… well, sometimes in war some bad things happen?

I fail to see the point of being either morally indignant or defensive about historical events. Should we not just present the facts (all of the facts, not just those convenient to a narrative) and ask the important question: what, if anything, associated with that historical event has modern parallels or equivalents and what can we do - if anything - to avoid repeating history.

• Like 12
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It depends on the meter. The electricity meter has it's own private RF network with which it 'phones home. The water meter is read by a human on a motor scooter. I have never even inspected the gas meter, but assume it has a remote transmit function of some kind. They are all located outdoors.

Until a couple of weeks ago it was (mostly) illegal to pump your own gas/petrol in Oregon - largely for the employment reason. 

For my sins I (used to) know all about remote meter reading when I worked for this outfit but that was last century. Our electricity utility co-op does a "drive by" remote read once a month. Just got the bill for last month - $75

Don't forget New Jersey. You can't pump your own petrol their either, or could not until recently anyway. We lived there for a while. Our daughter who still lives there might have mentioned the rules have changed a bit.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Or just remove ALL information!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/29/houston-school-district-libraries-book

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

30 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Cretinous!

Perhaps it has escaped people’s notice that ALL authoritarian regimes - on their way to bona-fide or de-facto dictatorship - limit access to, ban and burn books?

Furthermore, it is one of humanity’s idiosyncrasies that - often - the best way to get people really curious / interested in “X” is to censor, ban or prohibit “X”

Edited by iL Dottore
Added missing text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 17

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Had a look for the Superdooperbluemoon this evening, but it was just a patch of luminous cloud.  So I "saw" it, sort of...

Bear saw it - twice, in fact.  It looked a lot smaller than the piccies on the telly suggested**

And then I recalled that blokes were first sent to walk on it 54 years ago - it'd be difficult enough now, let alone then.  How they managed to pull it off/get away with it will be one of Bear's Great Mysteries.

**Not unlike the piccy on a cake or pizza box - you know the ones, those where you open it up and immediately think "I've been robbed - B'sterds".

5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

This was finally carpet scrubbing day as we got a round tuit.  I spent most of the morning pushing the device back and forth and running downstairs to deal with the dirty water and filling up new clean hot water. The device is an upright and looks like a set of tanks on a vacuum cleaner -- and made by Hoover.

SWMBO saw how much work this entails and this afternoon we took the device to Goodwill. 

It does of course extend the life of a carpet "somewhat" - and reasonable ones don't come cheap (plus they're a right pain cos' the room needs to be largely empty when fitting).  Extending the life is also much "greener".

48 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I guess they'll argue that much, if not all information is more easily available (and quicker) via the 'net now.

Bear here.....

Today?

Deep clean the Bear Pit......

BG

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1