The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Their cake portions tend to be quite large so I may settle for a chocolate biscuit. 

Huh?  😲

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

As life returns to normal here after the racing, the post-mortem will take place of the altered timings of the event - the racers hate it, the marshals hate it, the fans hate it, Govt. says it is a great success and will refuse to return to the old format. 

How have they altered the timings?

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

It is the opinion of many it is deliberate to run the event down prior to stopping it, and from discussions I have had with many visitors they won't be coming back unless things change, thus fulfilling the wishes of some.  Of course many businesses large and small depend upon these events, so there will be a scrap looming.

Why on earth do some want it stopped?  It must be a huge income generator - and so the Gov stands to benefit big-time thru' taxation.

ION.....

Cleaning of the Muddlin' Room now complete, as is the upstairs loo.  Big Tick.

Still no news from EE regarding the phone purchase.  Ar5ebadgers.

BG

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Afternoon all,

Another 'this and that' day and a half, perhaps a bit more than 'unspecified pottering' but certainly with more than a hint of that type of activity. One thing which has been done recently has been to start going through emails. BT (who I am currently with) have upset us quite a bit and the writing is on the wall. So in anticipation of changing sometime between now and Christmas (though best laid plans of mice, men and rabbits!) I've had a look and have been saving, forwarding or printing the more crucial ones. And deleting many hundred no longer needed. 

One which might interest a few ERs is one with a photo showing a certain young lady from down under engaged in an intimate clinch with what looks suspiciously like Bear...  a caption competition may be about to start! 

BearwithKylie.jpg.c0a6a64cb7f0038b6b72c7329f886af2.jpg

No wonder he's smiling.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Got to do a bit of organising this afternoon, I recently purchased a Tupperware Breadsmart as I found I was throwing out a lot of bread because it was stale or mouldy. Problem is it's a small kitchen and I have to find space for it on the kitchen worktops so I will have to move some things about. The only real space is on the top of the fridge freezer, not ideal on a couple of counts so I've got to decide what will go on there to make space on the worktops.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

My issue with a lot of the arguments over historical injustices is that I can't help wondering about some of the motivation. 

So they can demand oodles of compensation for their Great Great Great Great Uncle who's been dead 200 years and was sold into slavery.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

So they can demand oodles of compensation for their Great Great Great Great Uncle who's been dead 200 years and was sold into slavery.

Seems reasonable when the descendants of the slave traders are generally doing quite well economically. Just how did a small island off the coast of Europe amass so much wealth after Tudor times? When we were in Spain recently, the tour guide suggested piracy was responsible for England’s origin as a wealthy nation. No mention of where Spanish wealth back then originated!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Tupperware Breadsmart

I had to Google what a Breadsmart was.  I was equally surprised that Tupperware still existed. Did you have to go to a party? 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Funny 18

4 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Garden centre was visited and a very enjoyable breakfast was consumed.  I only had the "Light English version" which was enough for me as I'm supposed to be watching the waistline.

I'm watching my waistline too..........................................................yep it's definitely expanding..........................

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

One which might interest a few ERs is one with a photo showing a certain young lady from down under engaged in an intimate clinch with what looks suspiciously like Bear...  a caption competition may be about to start! 

BearwithKylie.jpg.c0a6a64cb7f0038b6b72c7329f886af2.jpg

Your place or mine?

• Funny 16

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It’s when you read accounts like London Labour and The London Poor by Henry Mayhew (1840s) that you get a sense of what absolute poverty is like.

Certainly. There continues to be plenty of poverty in the US that is not all that dissimilar. As usual it is a vicious circle. The poorer you are the harder it is to function in society. It's very hard to be employed without a permanent residence or a means of transportation.

• Agree 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I bet P&O really appreciate Britannia being called a ferry!

I wasn't sure if they just used the wrong image and the accident actually involved a ferry so I looked it up. (The news here is all hurricane this morning.)

This was my favourite headline for the incident when I did a search:

British tourists ‘left in tears’ after P&O cruise ship crashes into oil tanker

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Seems reasonable when the descendants of the slave traders are generally doing quite well economically.

... thanks in no small part to the compensation they received for loss of property when their slaves were freed in 1833.

EDIT: sorry, that was the slave owners. There was no compensation for slave traders when the trade was abolished in 1807.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Got to do a bit of organising this afternoon, I recently purchased a Tupperware Breadsmart as I found I was throwing out a lot of bread because it was stale or mouldy. Problem is it's a small kitchen and I have to find space for it on the kitchen worktops so I will have to move some things about. The only real space is on the top of the fridge freezer, not ideal on a couple of counts so I've got to decide what will go on there to make space on the worktops.

Bear keeps his bread in the fridge....yeah, yeah Google says NoNo but I never, ever have problems with mouldy bread (even though I'll often buy bread that is reduced cos' the date is up); in fairness I always buy what iD would probably regard as junk bread (sub-£1 Co-op stuff) and I far prefer toast to bread so that'll always hide any staleness.

In other news.....

A wasted afternoon - Poo.  After din dins there was a couple of hours zedding (early mornings catching up no doubt) so further cleaning hasn't happened ☹️

I caught the tail-end of "A Place in the Country" on the telly - there was a magnificent place in East Bilney, Norfolk; a large Bungalow (I think) with 5 Bedrooms, immaculate decoration and all set in 10 acres of it's own woodland with a stream running thru' it.  The price?  £680K (2020) - it'd be £3M+ (easily) if it was near Bear Towers (never realised I was that desirable as a Neighbour - maybe they're hoping to catch a glimpse of Kylie.....).

Did they buy?  They tried, but were outdid.  Very, very Big Turdycurses I suspect.

BG

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, polybear said:

The reparations debate in the US is focused not on events 200 years ago but the impact on generational wealth in the intervening years.

Most (majority) Americans are the beneficiaries of the post war housing boom where there was widespread prosperity and home-ownership. The increased value of these homes increased family wealth generationally. Not so with minority community who were subjected to widespread 'red lining' - local government sanctioned (or even deliberately created) zones where people of a certain ethnicity were either forbidden or constrained to live.  There were even Federal Government programs not available to minorities. This sort of discrimination lasted well into the 20th century.

It is not so simple as glib "it was 200 years ago, get over it already" sort of thinking.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There was no compensation for slave traders when the trade was abolished in 1807.

I wonder how they survived until the British and French governments forced the Chinese to allow merchants to trade opium. 

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3