The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

The Turtles,

I was trying to recall when The Turtles had their hits. While searching I noticed a 1975 video from a German TV station of Steeleye Span. So,I spent about 30 minutes watching that. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I was trying to recall when The Turtles had their hits. While searching I noticed a 1975 video from a German TV station of Steeleye Span. So,I spent about 30 minutes watching that. 

Sounds reasonable!

Just looked it up, its marvellous stuff and an excellent quality recording too. But 30 minutes? You must have become engrossed in it, the running time is 55 minutes...

Edited by Hroth
further comment on Steeleye Span...
  • Like 11
  • Agree 4

30 minutes ago, polybear said:

This from the latest Martin Lewis (MSE) email:

"Standing charges are up again - it'll cost over £300/yr just for the facility of having gas and electricity"

B'Sterds.

Given that, there's almost no point in saving energy, is there.

22 minutes ago, polybear said:

Beyond belief - I do hope the other inmates think the same:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-66649434

Douse 'em in cleaning products and put 'em in an industrial tumble dryer and see how thay like it.  With any luck, they'll get broken necks too...

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Beyond belief - I do hope the other inmates think the same:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-66649434

The sad thing is I don't find this in any way surprising. I was born and grew up in Carlisle, in many ways it's a wonderful city in a wonderful county (the view from Stanwix bank is glorious apart from the hideous civic center) but there are some seriously 'troubled' areas and people in the city.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

18 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

What I find annoying about the current approach to “decolonising” whatever is not just the selective re-telling and presentation of historical fact (annoying as it may be) but that by focusing on the past, current modern day slavery (which can take many forms) is ignored.

The possibility (?) of time travel notwithstanding, the events of the past are fixed. History however is a living evolving thing. History is the how, why and wherefore, with relevant context, for the events of the past - inevitably though a contemporary prism. It is constantly changing and not necessarily for the worse, even if it doesn't comport with the matching bound set of Encyclopedia Britannica from the 1950s that Oxbridge dons you often criticize presumably curated for you.

Often good research based on previously ignored original sources revolutionizes history. The view of the second president of the US is a great example. A seminal biography of John Adams (by David McCullough, 2002) based on correspondence between Adams and his wife Abigail totally renovated his reputation - which had previously been tarnished by a focus on his legacy with the Alien and Sedition Acts (1798) - to a completely different perspective of Adams. The events didn't change, but history did.

One cannot study the history of western "civilization" and its rise to global dominance from (at a minimum) 1492 to 1865 without a deep contemplation of the odium of chattel slavery. It permeated everything.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

The Turtles, Little Anthony, Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, The Vogues, The Classics IV and The Cowsills.

There's a bunch of one (maybe two) hit wonders. Between "Happy Together", "Young Girl"*, "Five O'Clock World" "Spooky", and "The Rain, the Park and Other Things" was there anything else on the set list?

* Which might get one arrested these days.

"Elenore" and "Lady Willpower" would (or should) have made the cut.

They needed We Five ("You were on my mind"), The Grass Roots ("Midnight Confessions") and The Left Banke ("Walk away Renee") to complete the set of 60's pop one (or two) hit wonders.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I may be straying into politics here.

There is a movement to rename one of the main streets in Toronto (and many miles beyond). It was named after a British politician. Apparently, when there was a bill to abolish slavery in Parliament, he added the word "gradually". This doesn't go down well with a number of people.  His supporters claim that the word was introduced to help the bill pass.  It didn't.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

5 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

His supporters claim that the word was introduced to help the bill pass.  It didn't.

There is a famous misquote incorrectly attributed to Bismarck that is apropos.

"Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made,"

John Godfrey Saxe:

Laws, like sausages, cease to inspire respect in proportion as we know how they are made.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2

16 minutes ago, AndyID said:

There's a hurricane heading that way although it should dissipate a bit before it gets there.

Which one? Idalia or Franklin?

Idalia looks really bad for the Florida west coast. It has appeared out of almost nowhere and will land as a cat 4 overnight and into the morning with the surge perhaps around Tampa tonight. It wasn't even a hurricane yesterday. They're projecting a 9' surge at Cedar Key (north of Tampa).

EDIT

Having looked it up, I guess Hurricane Franklin is projected to stay out to sea. Should make some rough surf on the eastern seaboard. It is category 4 as well.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

If you are going to do that - frites in duck fat with a little truffle oil and salt. And a Belgian Trappist brune ale.

OK with the chips, not so much with the ale. Last time I tried Trappist beer I got the impression it had been made by Manneken Pis.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6