The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I have enough trouble speaking English with a Yorkshire accent to a native of Derbyshire :nono:

We used to go to Nottingham a lot and I thought Nottingham accents sounded like Yorkshire but locals denied it.Years ago a friend from Yorkshire said that each Town/City had its own accent. I wonder if that is still the case.

Everyone round here speaks Estuary English!

Aditi learned to speak English at school in Yorkshire. I think there are still traces of that accent. Matthew said his mother sounds like a Radio 4 announcer with a touch of Yorkshire!

Crikey (as I used to say when 11). I had a shock today a singer/actress that I lusted with in 1972 turned 70 this year and they had the 70th Anniversary video on YouTube. She never freaking told me she was ten years older than I!!! Getting old is terrible isn't it?

Best, Pete.

Guest Max Stafford

I don't know Pete; if you're getting old it means you're still around... :D

I've not been around on here much of late due to a heavily skewed work/life balance, but after missing a week I got up to Whitrope for my (notionally) weekly distance run and managed my longest ever run, a distance of seven miles over erstwhile Waverley Route trackage - gives you a sense of empathy for the firemen on those thrashing K3s and V2s!

Driving up to Whitrope, the autumn sun worked its magic on the Southern uplands and instigated my rant yesterday if you noticed it!

I always find the negative adjectives applied to this kind of landscape vaguely insulting.

That said, I didn't have to live and survive in these parts in say 1511, when this part of the world was probably the equivalent of Eritrea or Somalia today!

Today, I've been trying to catch up on all the little jobs at home that you have neither the time or the energy to do when you're on the 'meat grinder' shifts that my profession is increasingly adopting as 'normal'.

I haven't made much progress to tell you the truth but we had a comittee meeting at the club tonight which allowed me to take some photos on the club layout featuring 60041 on a typical 1965 era Waverley transfer freight.

Watching the ensemble's stately progress round the club layout was a real joy to behold and as good an incentive to produce a layout of my own as any!

Dave.

PS. Love - The Castle.

post-6676-0-55158500-1320798532.jpg

post-6676-0-84932500-1320798618.jpg

post-6676-0-27325600-1320798731.jpg

post-6676-0-58941300-1320799056.jpg

post-6676-0-62104400-1320799088.jpg

post-6676-0-00354800-1320799123.jpg

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

All I can see outside at this hour is darkness and rather thick fog. Here's hoping other motorists will be bright enough to think about what this is supposed to mean with regard to their driving style.

Have a good one, guys...

Morning All,

been having 'net problems here for a few days........as to languages, unfortunately I cannot get my tongue around others, I am full of admiration for those who are fluent in many. Weather here is misty this morning, and hopefully the rainy season is nearly over.......enjoy your day.

Trev

Morning All,

The number of children that have a naughty reputation and are dyslexic is silly.

I am sure you are right there Mick. The trouble is that it dilutes the issue for those kids who are truly dyslexic. My cousin (who is four years older than me) is profoundly dyslexic - he went through a terrible time at school. He was assumed to be "thick and stupid", told so and was left at the back of the class and forgotten about. Thankfully, he eventually got a place in a special school and came on in leaps and bounds afterwards.

He still won't win any awards for his reading and writing - but put him in any vehicle and he has the most amazing spatial awareness. I have seen him put a truck into a place where I couldn't believe it would get near to - let alone into.

I wish I had come across this kind of teacher in my day...

You wouldn't have liked this one Dominik. Far from being a good teacher he was a nasty and vindictive man. As a school boy I respected him immensely, and therefore believed what he told me.

It was only later when I had a real old school Maths teacher that I was able to start learning properly. I was fortunate, my parents saw that I needed significant help and sent me to a private tutor. He was a fantastic maths teacher - and I can really credit him with getting me through my GCSEs. Subsequently, I went to him for a further two years and he took me through the old O-level advanced syllabus so that I would have a grounding in Calculus and other things that I would need for my degree.

When I got my degree, I went back and thanked him for all he had done - but he refused to take credit for it. He told me it was me who had achieved it. That's as maybe - but I couldn't have done it without him.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,cool but clearer today yesterday I was explaining to Matt as we drove what was misty, a bit foggy ,foggy and very foggy and how it changed driving speeds.We will have to get him through his test to stand a chance of getting a job when his course finishes but it will be difficult with his nerves.

Morning all, another damp squib of a day. Still waiting for some sunshine and dry weather so I can get #1 son to stain the deck. Once that's done I can drill and fit the LEDs. At the moment its just too dark along the side of the shed. Not much else going in in the boring borough.

As a diversion I offer something from the laughing squid: http://laughingsquid.com/incredible-working-steam-engine-made-entirely-of-glass/ sort of on topic.

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A good example of "Misty, Moisty Morning" here today. However it doesn't appear to have dissuaded the window cleaners. As I wasn't expecting them I have already been out for a drive to the bank to get some money.

I wish I had photographed the display cupboards and sideboard before emptying them. Although I had observed them and was the one who removed them I can't accurately remember where everything is supposed to go. Putting the amplifier and speakers back was much simpler! I mentioned ages ago that I thought my speakers were sounding a bit dull. When I reconnected them I noticed that the cable ends were a bit tatty where they were screwed in to the terminal posts. I trimmed them a bit and fitted banana plugs. It seems to have made a difference, so we will not need any new speakers.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

Dd, that was a bit of a 'special feature' on the Waverley. After the big new yard opened at Kingmoor in 1963, northbound freights accessing the route did so by being dragged tender first by the loco along a connecting spur onto a purpose built reversing loop at the south end of the yard, prior to the loco running round to the business end. As the guard still had to be at the rear of the train during this process it was deemed more practical to have a van at either end rather than indulge in awkward, time consuming shunting.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Morning, another grey day here. On call this week, usual nonsense, nothing too arduous (yet). Mega clear up this week as it's family Saturday - don't really know why I bother as when grandsons x 2 have finished it looks just as bad as it was before the clearout. I'll be setting the G scale Thomas up for a little play, can't wait to see their faces.

Have a good one.

• RMweb Premium

I notice, recently, lots of photo's with a Toad immediately behind a loco.

Is this just coincidence or have they leapfrogged from the rear?

As the guard still had to be at the rear of the train during this process it was deemed more practical to have a van at either end rather than indulge in awkward, time consuming shunting.

Oh dear, and here I was searching these photos for some amphibian hidden away somewhere and beginning to distrust my eyes... :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Dave.

I knew there must be a reason but railway stuff is a mystery to me.

Since joining RMweb at least I now know that the diesel hauling a few wagons towards Pitsea yesterday was a Class 66.