The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Actually August is usually cooler with higher temps mostly in July.

That said, we DID break the record Tuesday in the Twin Cities at 98F surpassing the previous record set in 1971.

That heat was the same system we had about a week or so earlier. With it we hit an all-time record high for August of 108°F / 42°C.

It was nice for a few days after that. Today sees a forecast high of 33°C and continued "moderate" air quality (flirting with "unhealthy for sensitive groups" most of the day).

Our "normal" high for Labor Day (next weekend) should be around 80°F / 27°C.

Chicago usually saw warm weather through September. It was not unusual to have the A/C on through the end of September and the furnace on for freezing mornings by October 15. Autumn here is usually more mellow.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

11 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I had hoped to rename certain models of moving kettles on slim lines and one of those would have been 'Hobbes'. With the enthusiasm for slim models, perhaps I could create a 'Philosopher' class?

I like it. Even with just the English/Scottish/British ones - Hobbes, Locke, Priestley, Paine, Hume, Bentham, etc.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, southern42 said:

Not ever having heard of this place, I googled it!

Polly:  unfortunately, the best view of the Tooth of Time is from downstream.  They put in a lot of concrete reinforcing on the upstream side. The falls also seem to have been reinforced.

IMG_2258.JPG.1ab33d6556a4b3238f4730e4ffec2996.JPG

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

It shared many similarities - mountain slopes on all sides,  small wooden cottages hugging the roadsides and a couple of dogs barking from front verandahs.

Bet they listed to Slim Dusty back in the day - not much differently in spirit than Appalachia turned (mostly) Irish (or Scots-Irish) folk and African American musical traditions into country music.

Loretta Lynn wasn't called "the coal miner's daughter" for nothing.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Bet they listed to Slim Dusty back in the day - not much differently in spirit than Appalachia turned (mostly) Irish (or Scots-Irish) folk and African American musical traditions into country music.

Quite possibly, though by the time I was old enough to know miners their soundtrack was 24/7 Cold Chisel!

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Darlington_Shed said:

Only boring if it makes you unhappy/dissatisfied, Dave. Since I retired Mrs Shed often asks if I'm not bored; reply is always "Nope... happy as a pig in the proverbial". I think I was born to be retired 😄

I have a horrible feeling I’ll be working up until the day I die. I should have retired 2 years ago, but didn’t and even now - after indicating to my clients that I intended to step back from some of my projects - I’m still working two to three days/week. In fact, I find it rather strange NOT to be working on those days I manage to keep free.

Having said that, I’m in a much better job than most “wage slaves” inasmuch as the job…

• is an indoor job with no heavy lifting
  • is one where I don’t get shot at, threatened or otherwise mistreated whilst at work
  • allows me to set my own schedule 
  • is definitely a WFH number

and the job…

• pays me an (almost) embarrassingly large numbers of Deltics.
  • is incredibly fun and, frequently, incredibly easy to do

Maybe I’m just weird (NO comments PB!) but I just can’t imagine not working. I really don’t understand how someone can be workshy, ego ergo sum laboro I suppose.

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Workshy?  I find that quite insulting!

Have a good day,

Bob.

Where did I say (or imply) that anyone was "workshy"?

There are those whose antipathy to working (which is completely different to working and hating it [that's happened to me once or twice early on in my career]) is such that they'll avoid working at anything, even hobbies and recreation,if they can. Often referred to as the workshy, I can never envisage myself as getting like that. Even when I finally do give up "paying work", I'll still have a ton of other work to do...

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

I had a feeling my comment yesterday about my quiet (or boring) life might produce some reaction.  To tell the truth I love it, it may partly be a reaction to having taught for 33 years, in a school you never get peace and quiet.  Before that for some years my parents ran boarding schools (prep schools) so there was never much peace and quiet when I was young, even in holidays there were always people living in the same building - other teachers, cooks, maids and so on.

So I really enjoy my peaceful life.  I love going to the beach first thing when there is hardly anyone about, shopping before it gets too busy and so on.  Even taking train photos I prefer to be standing by the lineside with as few other people as possible - quite easy in Northumberland. 

I do like being with other people as well, at the right time and place.

This morning is cool and sunny with a few clouds starting to appear.  The forecast seems a bit uncertain - yesterday evening it suggested rain later, now it says some cloud but dry.  We shall see.

Today will begin with a bit of shopping, then probably a short walk.  After coffee I want to look at more old photos.  If the afternoon is fine I'll garden, otherwise I'll read and/or work on photos.

David

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

here its more likely to be "Kookaburra Creek" or something.!. 

I always found it mildly entertaining to consider the origin of Australian place names as they are known to us in the west. 

Some are borrowed from the Mother Country (Rye, Hastings, Brighton …. ) and some are clearly if simplistically named in a descriptive style (Kookaburra Creek, Kangaroo Flat, Eggs & Bacon Bay). High points were named in a similar manner (Mount Surprise, Mount Disappointment) and a few places were named in “fake” indigenous style (Ulladulla, Wangara, Watanobbi)

Some are genuine indigenous names (Baan Baa, Wagga Wagga) and others named from indigenous culture and practice (Launching Place - for canoes on the upper Yarra river not for spacecraft which were launched from Woomera) 

The UK / GB has place names of far greater antiquity and deriving from many invasions, incursions and visitations. Some derive from “native” languages, more especially in Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, Ireland and the Isle of Man.  There are recognisable ancient elements everywhere such as -by in the east, notably Lincolnshire, for a farm which is hendra in Cornwall and Barton in Devon. The Saxon suffixes throughout their former lands of -ing, -ham and -ton survive today. As do ancient rural references in strange places such as Sheffield (sheaf-field long before it became a vast city) 

The UK has no equivalent for the Australian delights of Koolyanobbing, Fannie Bay, Wunghnu (pronounced one-ewe) or the apochryphal “Kickatinalong” although numerous town names do have the -along ending such as Binalong. There is also a saying locally that if you have missed someone they must be “on Binalong time”. 

I doubt Australia would have wished to copy and import the likes of Clitheroe, Penistone, Scunthorpe (the bodily references would amuse the Aussie senses and probably result in a typical abbreviation - or boast - that “I live in C*it”.  Aussies were welcome to have taken Cocking or Upper Dicker (both from Sussex) but chose not to use them. 

Quite how any Australian would cope with Ruyton-XI-Towns or Llandewi-Brefi remains to be seen. As for Druimuachdar even the Scots sometimes alter it to Drumochter but what do you do with Chatelheraux (shat-ler-oh)?  We know Milngavie is a Mull Guy but what would those poor folk down-under have made of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobllllantisilogogogoch?  

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 1

5 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Aussies were welcome to have taken Cocking or Upper Dicker (both from Sussex) but chose not to use them. 

Though we do have Mount Bu99ery.....

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

So I really enjoy my peaceful life. 

Gotta say, more than once I've read one of your posts and thought "Jeez I wish I had his  life!" (except for all the rain obviously)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Where did I say (or imply) that anyone was "workshy"?

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Maybe I’m just weird (NO comments PB!) but I just can’t imagine not working. I really don’t understand how someone can be workshy, ego ergo sum laboro I suppose.

I took that to mean that not working = workshy.   Seems I was wrong.

• Friendly/supportive 16