The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, polybear said:

So the scary thought is that Bear is talking himself into splashing the cash (2.5 Deltics.....).

The other ponderations are:

(a) It's also available from JL (with a "free" case) but at thirty quid extra - but with an extra year of warranty thrown in.  Now is a free case + a year worth that thirty quid?  Hmmm.....

Much as I generally prefer to purchase items from JL over other suppliers (particularly TVs with the free 5 year extended warranty) unless the case is a particularly good one and the type you prefer I'm not so certain it's a great deal.   I'd probably go for a case of my choosing from elsewhere and the cheapest "known" supplier e.g. Argos? and risk "Year 2".

35 minutes ago, polybear said:

(b) I could save something like 2/3rds of a Deltic by sourcing the same (seemingly new/sealed) from the 'Bay - but what if it goes T.U. in 6 months time? 

Will Apple still play ball with a warranty claim?

Good luck with that then!     About as likely as a Bear abseiling down the side of the Shard in full scuba gear and a Tutu I should imagine .....

26 minutes ago, polybear said:

The BBC News Website is covering the Indian Moon Landing; it's obviously a real result for India but having visited the country I can't help but feel that with so much poverty in the country then perhaps the £B's it must've cost then maybe that money could've been better spent elsewhere?  (Mind you, there are plenty in other countries such as the USA that could do with help as well).

First of all let me admit almost total ignorance of the real facts in this matter.  I'm sure there are other regulars on here who are far better placed to provide proper, informed comment.   I've just read this proposal for a review which indicates direct aid ceased in 2015 and "Between 2016 and 2020, we estimate that the UK disbursed around £1.9 billion of aid to India. This figure includes £480 million in bilateral aid, including technical assistance, development capital and research. It also includes an estimated £679 million of aid to India through an imputed share of core contributions to multilateral organisations, largely through the World Bank and the multilateral Climate Investment Funds, which focus on clean technology. In addition, the UK contributed an estimated £756 million in India via replenishments to BII."  Of course the results of that review aren't immediately to hand and I saw another headline to an article behind a paywall (which I'm not privy to on the grounds of being tight) suggests aid is up by 70%!

Having said that, I do feel uncomfortable with the basic balance of  "UK Foreign Aid" (in very simplistic terms) going to "A country with its own space programme landing things on the moon"!   Perhaps we should shine a mirror on our own space programme?  Errm, yes, thought not .....

Anyway, I'd best say no more on the topic for fear of entering prohibited waters.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

I don't know why @polybear wants to buy a fruit cider phone when a decent Android can be had for one deltic or less... or am I missing something?

I don't know much about either (or Deltics) mind you.   My phone was about a third of a Deltic and from Argos.

Edited by Tim Dubya
rehydration
  • Like 10
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Caitlin seems rather over enthusiastic about spiders!

To quote  J. Clarkson,..

"She's not David Attenborough, but she is David Attenboroughs Australian cousin..!"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

26 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

6 inch drain pipe here!

Perhaps we've found the therapist to cure The Bear's irrational fear of spiders!

With PB's declared "shoot first, ask (no) questions later" approach to arachnids I wonder how Bear Towers remains free of the following pests:

• mosquitoes,
  • cockroaches,
  • centipedes,
  • aphids,
  • flies
  • beetles.

A clean environment helps, but is no hindrance to many pest insects

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I had an email yesterday informing I can book a priority breakfast with Santa at my local Dobbies garden centre, it's still August for goodness sake!!.

That reminds me, no Dogs Trust Christmas catalogue received yet. That usually arrives on the mat during August (and provokes a similar response). Never mind horse chestnuts falling or the leaves changing colour (or even the start of local model railway exhbitions) - it's that little A5 brochure that signals that summer's nearly over... 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

35 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Having said that, I do feel uncomfortable with the basic balance of  "UK Foreign Aid" (in very simplistic terms) going to "A country with its own space programme landing things on the moon"!   Perhaps we should shine a mirror on our own space programme?  Errm, yes, thought not .....

On balance though, if you add up everything England has made off  all the countries  that were "encouraged" to be part of   The Empire  over the last couple of hundred years, you are still probably way ahead!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

The engineer in me wonders about the longevity of all those connections across the hinge.  Or maybe it's actually a two device network and it's all done by the magic of RF (surely not)?

Flex printed circuit boards are very reliable. They've been around for a very long time - I remember advertising for Pentax cameras in the 1980s showing flex circuits. I'm pretty sure the ME-Super and Super-A/Program-A had them then.

There's also the rigid/flex variant.

I'm less convinced about flex glass. Samsung has offered folding glass for some time now.

Samsung's latest foldable Galaxy Z series phones are made from ultra-thin folding glass technology built from layers of highly innovative materials. The exceptional Corning® Gorilla® Glass Victus®2 is the toughest Gorilla® glass yet, providing extraordinary damage resistance, incredible flexibility, and wafer-thin design. 

I have to believe that eventually the cumulative folding has to have a weakening effect. I imagine it is designed to last long enough for the average purchaser of high-end 'phones who replaces them for a shiny new object every few years.

In my (lighthearted) reply to @polybear I actually linked the older telephone. The newer one (Zflip5) has a larger external screen (visible when folded).

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 hour ago, polybear said:

In other news.....

The BBC News Website is covering the Indian Moon Landing; it's obviously a real result for India ...

The accomplishment should not be underestimated. Space flight is really hard. Plenty of things can and do go wrong.

The 2019 Indian Chandrayaan-2 mission crashed into the lunar surface as did the Russian Luna 25 mission last week. One assumes Roscosmos knows what they are doing - they've been at spaceflight since 1957.

You have to give the Indian space program credit for their tenacity and perseverance - and having learned the 'hard way' like everyone involved in space flight does.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

The issue I have with folding phones is that every one I have seen has very quickly developed a crease down the centre line where it folds. The reason they are desirable is the bigger screen, but that advantage is moot if you are distracted by a crease line when watching videos etc. That said it's a very trendy idea, as well as Samsung a few of the Chinese manufacturers like Oppo and Huawei offer them.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

2 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

every one I have seen has very quickly developed a crease down the centre line where it folds

Which seems logical and inevitable to me. It's hard for me to imagine how it could be otherwise - and eventually (with enough folding/unfolding cycles) crack.

• Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

To quote  J. Clarkson,..

"She's not David Attenborough, but she is David Attenboroughs Australian cousin..!"

As I watched, the thought did cross my mind...

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that folding phones may be like curved TV screens and 3D TV, very trendy but likely to fade away as the novelty wears off (in the case of 3D I still think the problem was implementation and lack of good 3D material, when done well 3D was excellent). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

I don't know why @polybear wants to buy a fruit cider phone when a decent Android can be had for one deltic or less... or am I missing something?

I don't know much about either (or Deltics) mind you.   My phone was about a third of a Deltic and from Argos.

I bought my most recent phone from Argos in January. It was a relatively inexpensive Android device, not one of the really cheap ones they offer, to replace a 4 year old Huawei.  I expect it'll need replacing in another 4 years.

I use it as a phone/text/email device, I don't need it for media consumption, and the camera is "good enough" for casual purposes, so spending two or three times what I did spend on a fancy bells and whistles device would be silly.  And as for fruit phones, even the refurbished ones listed by Argos are ludicrously expensive!

The only "media" app I have on the phone is the Kindle reader, which means I can become so engrossed in reading a book that I can sometimes forget what I was waiting to happen...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I suspect that folding phones may be like curved TV screens

Us gamers does loves a massive curved monitor for popping heads off aliens, of course I don't have one as they are way beyond my means at the present time.

• Like 8
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The problem with that is people will sometimes need a phone in an emergency.  The best idea would be to detect a phone being used in a moving vehicle with a camera set up to picture the driver. Then using AI to check if the driver is the one using the phone.

It might not be too difficult for cars to detect when the driver is not looking ahead. That could cover more situations than just phones.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm having the odd experience of finding myself persuaded of two opposite views at the moment.

I've been using the camera on the new phone. The 230mm equivalent lens at one end and 13mm at the other gives the S23 a remarkable optical range (at one time 13mm wide angle lenses were seriously expensive and very few people could afford them). Although I suspect the lenses cost peanuts as optics go the use of software distortion correction and computational photography gives pretty much infallible focus and exposure accuracy. Colours are rich and vibrant (maybe too much for some, it feels like the old Fujifilm colour balance, very saturated, but you can always adjust later). I've taken a few shots of moving objects and the camera sets an appropriate shutter speed. Night time performance blows my mirrorless away, the difference is so big it's not funny at night. I'm left wondering what is the point of a camera?

And yet...... At the same time, it also makes me think that a camera still has a place. The phone camera offers a high degree of manual control if you want to take control but the ergonomics of taking control are terrible (and unless you want to start doing blurry stuff with bokeh etc why would you as the auto system seems pretty much infallible). For those who do enjoy taking control and using bokeh a phone camera isn't great (even though it is doable). I still like a view finder, even though screens have improved a lot and the S23 screen doesn't 'white out' to anything like the degree of my old handsets in very bright weather with the sun behind me I still prefer a viewfinder. The 10x lens works with a 10MP sensor (the 23mm lens has a 200MP sensor, which is insane), if properly framed a 10MP sensor is quite sufficient but if you want to crop it can become limiting and I still find it easier to control a proper camera to track a moving subject and keep the subject centred. And if you need to go above 230mm then an interchangeable mount is still needed to fit a long tele lens. I am guessing that not only is the phone camera perfectly sufficient for 90%+ of the pictures I will take but probably better than my mirrorless there are still cases where a big old lump is better.

Most of all, although I can't help feeling that within the 13mm - 230mm range my phone is better (unless I want to crop at the telephoto end, not a problem at the wide end) and will almost certainly be my default and be the camera I use most I still like the feel and joy of using a more traditional camera sometimes.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Flex printed circuit boards are very reliable. They've been around for a very long time - I remember advertising for Pentax cameras in the 1980s showing flex circuits. I'm pretty sure the ME-Super and Super-A/Program-A had them then.

Yes indeed they have been for a very, very long time.   But in that sort of application they are mostly stationary and are used because they enable complicated inter-board wiring to be implemented with the minimum of space and provide effective, very cheap, removable connections as a bonus.   In applications that require significant movement the bend radius is arranged to be as large as possible (3D printers, printers, CD reader heads, blah, blah, ad-infinitum.       However, unless I'm missing something, in the folding phone application a 180 degree bend over a very, very short distance and hence small radius is required across a hinge that will literally see tens of thousands of operations.    (It always used to amaze me just how few Mate/Break operations Mil Spec standard connectors (aka very expensive) were actually rated for!)

Anyway, that might explain why my ME Super no longer works ... (but I doubt it, my money is on dodgy electrolytic capacitors or dirty/tarnished connections it is over 40 years old after all)

20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The accomplishment should not be underestimated. Space flight is really hard. Plenty of things can and do go wrong.

The 2019 Indian Chandrayaan-2 mission crashed into the lunar surface as did the Russian Luna 25 mission last week. One assumes Roscosmos knows what they are doing - they've been at spaceflight since 1957.

You have to give the Indian space program credit for their tenacity and perseverance - and having learned the 'hard way' like everyone involved in space flight does.

I don't think anyone was underestimating the achievement hence my comment regarding reflecting on our own space programme.  The UK haven't even been able to sling a rocket off of a big aeroplane and get it into earth orbit successfully yet!        And we've given up on that idea ...

Yes, space flight and rocket science is tricky - I've been involved with the latter for 45 years.       I'm also aware of the tenacity, technical interest and ability of our Indian friends in this business but I'll say no more here about that other than to heartily commend today's excellent achievement.

16 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Which seems logical and inevitable to me. It's hard for me to imagine how it could be otherwise - and eventually (with enough folding/unfolding cycles) crack.

Precisely my point!

Alan

• Like 15

41 minutes ago, AndyID said:

It might not be too difficult for cars to detect when the driver is not looking ahead. That could cover more situations than just phones.

Reversing into a parking space might become a bit of PITA

as might checking one's blindspot before pulling out.

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tim Dubya said:

Is that where the poison garden is?

Yes,

it is worth visiting if you are in the area.    However you can't take away samples!

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1