The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Mick, Two of my neighbours have portable generators - so I'm laying in bed listening to their infernal racket too (and they ain't close, either). Usually when I want one they are so out of stock.

My wife and I are seriously looking at:

1. Whole house generator that sits outside looking like an a/c unit and is powered by our natural gas supply (and automatically kicks in if mains power goes off). I'd say all in cost (with proper install) at $7 - 10k.

2. A Solar/Generator combination which could be more expensive but we'd receive tax credits. We have quite a tall house and I'm not looking forward to getting on the roof to clean the panels....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Not quite so overcast here today.

I should finish the emulsion painting in the downstairs loo today. There is still a faint hint of pink through the magnolia colour but one more coat should do. Then a few applications of quick drying (well that is what it claims on the tin) woodstain varnish on the skirting boards and other woodwork.

Pete, glad you were OK. We get more salesmen trying to sell us solar power systems now than double glazing. Yesterday's news suggested that the money people here get selling their surplus back to the grid is going to be substantially reduced. I don't clean the windows so I wouldn't be getting up on the roof to clean the panels either.

Tony

Morning all! Looks like a lovely bright, sunny day outside just now.

It is a rather foggy morning here. Some of Germany is waking up to a Bank Holiday. Unfortunately, All Souls is not a bank holiday in Hessen and so it is a normal working day for me.

Isn't today All Saints and tomorrow All Souls? I seem to remember seeing both listed as holidays for the European Commission...

Went climbing after work yesterday so I may have some aches and pains today. There were a couple of routes got the better of me last night so will try to crack them next week. One of which was a tricky overhang and I got to the top an missed the very last hold! So frustrating!

On the bright side I think the cold's 95% gone. :)

Morning all. :)

To answer some of your questions, I think the courses are run locally, so I'm expecting to go to the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) at Crowthorne. It seems you only get that offer if you haven't done a course in the last three years. The blurb says they won't lecture you and you have to participate. Deep joy...

I assume that option is closed if you have done a course and got nicked again.

I'm intrigued by your mention of having to get up on the roof, Pete. I thought solar panels had self cleaning glass. I suppose you could ask the window cleaner to do them with his pump and long pole...

Nothing has been taken down of ET yet, Mike. I guess I'm trying a feasibility study and to be honest I'm not thrilled with what has come up so far. I'm going to kick some ideas around for another week or two and may have to abandon the idea if it won't work. Either way I need to get my backside in gear and get on with it.

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Don to answer your question most of the roads around here are like this.............most of the time, though there are some good bits, but they rapidly deteriorate in the rainy season. Because the money alocated to fix them "disappears" !

I'll try to remember to take some pics of good bits........but one thing though, no speed limits, (or cameras........)

My brother worked in Nigeria in the late 1970s and drove all over the country from the south to the north. He had some very lucky escapes from accidents (two trucks heading towards him, putting him in a ditch etc). He said the most useful car accessory was a power winch.

Gordon, Window cleaners, as we understand them, don't exist over here - I've often thought that it was an opportunity for some enterprising ex-pat Brit. I think that the issue is the fly screens on the outside of each window (they can only be removed from the inside).

Have you posted new, new plans yet?

Best, Pete.

Since I had burglar bars fitted, it has become impossible to clean the outside of the windows from the inside. The West facing windows get cleaned by the rain but the East facing windows do not get thus cleaned. Last week there was a crew cleaning the buildings gutters and they were very willing to clean these, for payment. I've now got clean windows on both sides.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Sun is shining! Short "list" to sort out but otherwise I think I will be cracking on with some wiring modifications to Waton.

Gordon you may be lucky and get a local "bad boys" course but don't bank on it. Some counties require you to travel back to where the (alleged) offence took place! My experience of the course was actually positive and it did make me think. We were not treated as bad boys and clearly the aim was to make you think about your speed and how it might affect the outcome of any unfortunate incidents. Of course there was the obligatory ###### who after sitting there for 2 hours then asked "what speed can I get away with in a 30 mph zone?". Missed the point or what?

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I think I would opt for an uninteruptable supply pack for the computer and the stand by genny, we normally have power cuts in the dark! May be some one in florida converted to solar power might have a surplus generator? Gordon don't rush yourself an extra fortnight now could mean months of work saved later, stick a circuit of track around the room put your favourite loco and coaches on it and watch it for a while if you are still watching it an hour later there is your 1st plan.

• RMweb Premium

I seem to have caught a sniffle again, so I guess lots of tea will be drunk over the next few days as a quick measure. Just had something quick for lunch, and I think I will now treat myself to another cup and some sweets before trying to type in a couple of additional lines into that essay. While going over the sources I collected, I had actually found the topic would have to be slightly different from what I and the tutor initially formulated, so pointing out why I made this conclusion will be an item requiring additional polishing.

• RMweb Premium

Nice instruments there, Pete - somehow I never actually liked the Flying V, no idea why - but seeing yours now does bring back some memories of when I kept trying, trying, trying to get on with one in (ISTR) FD&H in London

• RMweb Gold

I should probably be outside enjoying this sunshine whilst it lasts shouldn't I!

I'm currently in the uni library listening to some Mark Knopfler tracks whilst thinking about the new assignment that was set about 20 minutes ago.

The task is to design and produce a 100ml bottle purely for use whilst travelling on aircraft. I've got to use an existing brand in order to style the bottle. It's certainly different from my last project I completed. Just waiting for the marks to come back on that one. I should think this project will be more challenging than initially meets the eye...

This is certainly my favourite unit in the course though - it allows me to unleash my creative side.

Nothing much else to report here really, just waiting for the modelling mojo to strike - I think I need to get that shed built first, though finishing the layout plan might be a good idea too.

• RMweb Gold

I had a break from decorating this afternoon. After finishing painting the small room I thought it was a good time to take Robbie for a walk. Unfortunately I locked myself out. My usual key rescuers are in Cyprus for a holiday. Fortunately I did have my phone so I could request Aditi not to go swimming but to come home directly. We would have gone next door but I think a children's party was in progress. All the other neighbours were out so we walked to the next nearest friend where I thought Robbie would be welcome. Fortunately we were in luck and provided with tea and dog biscuits as appropriate!

I'm staining skirting boards tonight (Ronseal varnish is really excellent!) so at least I can sit down!

I had a break from decorating this afternoon. After finishing painting the small room I thought it was a good time to take Robbie for a walk. Unfortunately I locked myself out. My usual key rescuers are in Cyprus for a holiday. Fortunately I did have my phone so I could request Aditi not to go swimming but to come home directly. We would have gone next door but I think a children's party was in progress. All the other neighbours were out so we walked to the next nearest friend where I thought Robbie would be welcome. Fortunately we were in luck and provided with tea and dog biscuits as appropriate!

I'm staining skirting boards tonight (Ronseal varnish is really excellent!) so at least I can sit down!

I hope Robbie enjoyed the tea and you're getting used to the dog biscuits as you may be in the dog house...!

The sun has risen in a cloudless sky.

21C expected. A first Summery day :D

Also hump day. I hope it is happy for all of you.

Good luck with your bottle project Jam. you say you also have to 'produce' it. How will you manage that?

I'm glad your back is OK Gordon.

Morning All,

It is a pretty mild morning here for November - but now that the leaves are really beginning to fall it is looking very Autumnal.

Jam - I hope you've got the bottle to do something really creative!

Don - It may be that you haven't got Acrobat reader installed on your computer. If you haven't, you can download it from the Adobe website.

Have a good day everyone...