The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, polybear said:

Yeah, right.....and I'm a Hippo.......

Gosh, you are being erudite today PB: A Bippo no less. I thought Bippos were only known to those who study medieval bestiaries.

Here's an excerpt (updated into modern English for you whose medieval English is a bit lacking):

Ye BIPPO tis a fearsome beast roaming the wastes. The result of a violent mating between a she-bear and a stud Hippo, the BIPPO is laid as an egg into a cauldron of baked legumes. Upon hatching the BIPPO is cursed by a terrible hunger for CAKE and will rend asunder any hapless living thing - animal or human - that gets between it and CAKE.

Untameable and almost unbeatable thanks to the BIPPO's walrus like slashing tusks and razor sharp claws, it is claimed that the only thing that will deter a BIPPO is flourishing a VERY LARGE BILL in front of its eyes. To kill the beast, a sorcerer must be hired to recite the magic incantation called HAUTE CUISINE which will cause the BIPPO to shrivel up and turn to dust.

(from the liber de animalibus esse 1393)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It sounds highly dangerous for the drug-taking athletes, both in the short and long terms.  It might be a way of investigating what chemically enhanced humans are capable of that would be useful in extremis, say, during a war, but the extremes would probably never be allowed by the medical professionals one would have to have available to supervise such events. 

No such thing as a free lunch.  A three-minute mile might be possible, but the athlete is going to pay heavily in terms of the physical damage he/she does to him/herself in achieving the record, muscle and joint damage in the short term, and whatever harm the drug has done to his/her body in the process in a longer term.  I can't imagine they would ever be capable of running again!

And nobody is going to organise or participate in the running of any such event in the face of possible future damages claims from the participants or their relatives, whatever waivers they sign. 

This little snippet regarding what the Human Body is capable of came to Bear's attention as a question in "The Chase" on ITV yesterday:

The longest time breath held voluntarily (male) is 24 min 37.36 sec, achieved by Budimir Šobat (Croatia), in Sisak, Croatia, on 27 March 2021.

(I wonder if the Guinness Book of Records does drug testing?)

8 hours ago, pH said:

I think you may have misunderstood what is being proposed. These would be games completely separate from existing competitions, with no crossover between the groups of athletes competing. Any athlete shown to have taken a banned substance, whether in the ‘enhanced’ games, or in ‘clean’ games, would be given a lifetime ban from the ‘clean’ games.

So if they're caught then they're simply given a new ball to play with instead?

Personally as Sport is driven by Sponsorship Money then I can't see too many big businesses etc. wanting to pay money to "The Junkie Games" as it'd be Corporate Suicide.  Hmmm, perhaps there's a few "Businesses" in South America that could be interested though....

"You too could be just like this if swallowed some of our "Gear" every morning - available from a local friendly Dealer near you...."

Bear here....

Today?  Danglin' on a brush commences.....

BG

edit:  Just a thought - when was the last time you remember hearing of an F1 Driver (or any other class, for that matter) testing positive for drugs?  No, nor me - I had to Google to check that they are indeed tested at random and also regularly.  Yet it only seems to be Athletes that fail cos' they put Auntie Flo's Haemorrhoid Cream on their Cornflakes "by accident".....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its all very well calling it a proto-pizza, but what did the Romans use in place of tomatoes?

An olive paste might do, I suppose.

Edited by Hroth
extra thort
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

A cloudy morning here on the Northumberland coast where rain is forecast for the afternoon, it is already humid and about 18C.

I've done a few odds and ends and am now waiting for the plumber to come to service the boiler and fix a new flush unit in the toilet cistern.  Until then I can't go out so will read a bit and sort out photos.

I may also have another look at the bookshelves and decide on some more books to get rid of.

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a rock that is 18c but dull, with showers etc forecast but looking like the worst will miss us to the west on rainfall radar.

Really sore this morning after being theraped yesterday, left hip is going bananas.  Let's hope there is gain from the pain.

Not sure of the day's events currently, a walk shortly to the village shop then keep out of the way of Mrs NHN who works from home on Wetkneesdays.  If I'm not careful I may manage some mudelling.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Just a thought - when was the last time you remember hearing of an F1 Driver (or any other class, for that matter) testing positive for drugs?

Surely it would be the car that needed drugging rather than the driver.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A good night last night just the usual stiffness this morning that soon disappeared. However the pollen is sky high so I've a blocked up nose and watering eyes. I will still have to take a trip to Tess Coes for some supplies this afternoon, should be OK in the car as it has pollen filters.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Its all very well calling it a proto-pizza, but what did the Romans use in place of tomatoes?

An olive paste might do, I suppose.

I think the tricky bit might be the frozen curly fries....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

2 hours ago, polybear said:

edit:  Just a thought - when was the last time you remember hearing of an F1 Driver (or any other class, for that matter) testing positive for drugs?  No, nor me - I had to Google to check that they are indeed tested at random and also regularly.  Yet it only seems to be Athletes that fail cos' they put Auntie Flo's Haemorrhoid Cream on their Cornflakes "by accident".....

There was the TT sidecar bloke who got banned from the TT this year for failing a drugs test.

I did wonder if that was the case NHN was waiting for to come up in the magistrates' court.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I think the tricky bit might be the frozen curly fries....

But like the tomato, the potato is also from the New World 

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

But like the tomato, the potato is also from the New World 

I suppose we could find a starchy old-world vegetable, boil it up, mash it, extrude it and deep fry it in olive oil to form something not quite like "curly fries".

Modern curly fries are made in a similar way....

That reminds me, as Zebedee might have said "Boingggg.  Its time for lunch"!!!

Edited by Hroth
Extra!
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

No, it was much funnier.....and on the ferry.  Not a racer.

One of those where the spaniel or lab goes up to the carrier, rests their chin on a knee and drools lovingly up at their new bestest friend?

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, TheQ said:

So I tried via the phone.

.Your call is important to us..

Your call is important to us..

Your call is important to us..

Etc

45 minutes later I got through..

Yep I didn't have enough documents... Even for the phone call.

Snap - although I eventually did succeed on the on line version although most of my questions were answered negatively - I think the fact we recently opened a new current bank account saved the day, due to HSBC closing the local branch, or indeed all the branches bar Douglas.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

One of those where the spaniel or lab goes up to the carrier, rests their chin on a knee and drools lovingly up at their new bestest friend?

They showed a Money Dog on the news a while back - Doggie is trained to sniff out money.  Apparently Fido goes Nutzo when walking past a Cash Point.....

Bear here....

I decided that the Dado Rail would benefit from a few extra securing screws - it's just at the right height to grab hold of & use as a hand hold during any moments of unsteadiness (such as a Bear missing his hourly fix of Cake) - not a particularly difficult or time consuming task so soon completed.  I am short of about 20 screws & chrome caps though, so that'll be more tokens spent.  TC's.

After that all the Rail was removed and then Bear had the joy of sanding it down ready for painting - which will be a mission for this afternoon.

In other news.....

Bear received some bits I purchased from an Ebay seller based in China** - one of the bits (a Bakelight Knob) should be threaded M10 - it wasn't🤬; it's just got a blind hole fitted with a plain metal insert, though there is provision for pinning a shaft once fitted in the hole.

I've started a return/refund case thru' the 'bay (it's only worth around four quid with delivery - but there's a principle to uphold here) and from the seller's response I've a feeling they're going to be "one of those" that plans to give Bear the run-around.  Well they won't win that game - I'll just escalate it when the time comes.  T0sser.

** I've purchased quite a lot of stuff from China via the 'bay - the vast majority is fine; any that turns out to be cr@p is usually refunded straight away as they seem very worried about negative feedback; I don't recall any that never arrived.  I NEVER buy expensive stuff though, just in case.....

Right, time to dangle on a brush.....

BG

• Like 16