The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

....the music chosen was initially sides  one and two of Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy. 

Are you sure you're not getting confused with an Adult Movie by any chance?

40 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Has Mickey been repaired yet? I don't remember seeing a post about that. 

Sadly not - the Garage are going to fit a new Bumper; I very much suspect it doesn't need it - but if they strip the bumper off to discover broken bits of plastic on the rear they'd be stuffed.  Guess what?  None in the country, so I guess it's on a slow boat to from China.....

Of all the bodywork bits you'd at least think that MG UK would ensure that rear (and front) bumpers are always in stock.  Fortunately Mickey is perfectly driveable, otherwise the 3rd Party Insurers would be getting a very large bill for a Hire Car.

In other news....

Mickey has had a very quick hoover out, followed by fitting the spring loaded door stop to the wall in the hallway - sling the front door open too hard and it bounces right back again.  That's a Tick.

And finally.....

Apparently a certain Manufacturer of Red Boxes has made a big fat £6M loss.  Ouch.  The choice between a two hundred quid red box or paying the Mortgage isn't one they're likely to win.

And finally finally....

VHBAW's to @Barry O & SWMBO on their Anniversary 🍰🍰🍰

BG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/06/2023 at 11:38, PupCam said:

Morning All

And I can add; Who buy a house built by the de Havilland Aircraft Company  for its employees on the edge of Hatfield airfield  AND who worked for the successor company on the airfield and helped to pay their mortgage working on the development of the aircraft overflying their house!   No names no pact drill as he's a good mate but I always found that particularly ironic!

In Other News

I attempted some astronomy last night albeit not the best night of the year for astronomy being the "longest day"*.       I couldn't workout why my Red Spot finder was so far off.   I lined it up with Venus  and then all I could see was a big lump of oak tree through the telescope.     After a close inspection all became clear.   The 3D printed mount had warped in the heat and instead of being straight was doing a fine impression of a propeller.      As the Red Spot mount was therefore out of action I thought I'd explore Polar alignment a bit more thoroughly having managed to find Polaris by a combination of knowing where it should be and good fortune.   It also has the unique benefit of not moving **  unlike all of the other objects in the sky so it stays put once you've found it!    

*    Yes I know, it's the number of daylight hours that changes not the length of the day but it's the colloquial description

**  very much at all

Whilst sitting in the dark fiddling with telescopes and laptops a strange snuffling noise was heard and got progressively louder.     Look who turned up and just to prove me wrong he shuffled off under the Hedgehog bush!

image.png.092f19e1307ac8230bcd16a71bbfdee3.png

These polar alignment experiments really just served to illustrate the inadequacies of the mount in azimuth and elevation but after a good coat of looking at this morning after breakfast a simple "Azimuth Improvement Plan" has been concocted.     The fundamental problem is that the mount is held onto the tripod by a vertical bolt that allows the mount to rotate (and wobble) when the retaining nut is loose.   When you tighten the retaining nut having set the position of the telescope you can't stop the mount from rotating a smidge.   A smidge is a very big offset when viewed through the 'scope ....     So, the plan is to make as larger "disc brake" washer / lock nut as I can accommodate at the top of the tripod and then  nip the retaining  nuts up so that the mount is just about free to rotate but not wobble.      Then some form of brake caliper / brake pads will be fashioned to clamp onto the "disc brake" to hold the azimuth position and hence separating the functions of mount restraint and  position locking.    It might work and will be simple to try.

I have have hopefully replaced the leaky entry valve on the washing machine successfully this morning.     Unfortunately when I turned the machine's cold water feed tap off a little water leaked from the gland.     It was only a dribble which was cleaned up but I think some monitoring over the next few days would be a wise precaution.

Now waiting for my GP telephone appointment scheduled between 8:00am and 1:00pm so that's narrowed it down a bit ........

Later on, I have been advised, that we will be going out in an attempt to buy a present for some friends that we are visiting soon.

Over and Out.

Having read your astronomy adventures in these pages, I saw this device and thought you might find it interesting, though not necessarily useful for your endavours...

Superior stargazing with the PiFinder

Its amazing what you can do with technology nowadays!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Went out shopping this afternoon and when I got home I ran my eyes over the site of Wednesdays car crash. The metal fence appears to be undamaged but a tree to the left of the drive has two substantial branches broken. So it appears that when the car hit the drive (which has a slope) it was propelled into the air and landed in the tree.

• Friendly/supportive 19

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

the Coca-Cola job

Coco-Cola extensively uses polar bears in their advertising in the west as well, though mostly at Christmas.

Often with the appallingly non-geographically appropriate combination with penguins.

There are dozens of such things. Here is a montage.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Fixed link
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The Titanic sub tragedy makes it obvious that where there's money to be made the cowboys come running.

I wouldn't characterize it quite like that. This was not a money-making company. The tourism (even at $0.25m a pop, which is only $1m per cruise*) wouldn't pay the bills.

* How much does it cost to charter a fully crewed, submersible-capable vessel out of Newfoundland for a week or so, not to mention fund your company?

The 'cowboy' allegation, I wouldn't challenge. The CEO was proud of saying he was a "rule breaker". He was an innovator in the face of conventionality. I would not argue that he took risks with his passengers' lives. Demonstrably he did.

But this was a 'passion project' not a get-rich-quick scheme.

There's a scene from Airplane! - a spoof of a television 'shock' op-ed labelled "Counterpoint", meant as comedy (of course) in the movie but it has a tragic ring to it in this circumstance.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear has a fix:  Scoff Cake until they fit 😁

It just so happens, I will be making cake tomorrow as we will have company on Sunday....

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Having read your astronomy adventures in these pages, I saw this device and thought you might find it interesting, though not necessarily useful for your endavours...

Superior stargazing with the PiFinder

Its amazing what you can do with technology nowadays!

Bear clicked on the link and was most disappointed to discover it's not a gadget for finding Pies.  Over to you, Puppers @PupCam........

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear clicked on the link and was most disappointed to discover it's not a gadget for finding Pies.  Over to you, Puppers @PupCam........

Sadly, not everything is edible....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy Anniversary to Baz and Hillary.

With the many well-wishers I have just read, how could I not remember to join the throng?

Hope you have had a wonderful day.

Polly

• Like 10
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

... I was encouraged to hear our students speak their (strong) views about the media attention being given to the Titan sub, and the lack of attention to the news about the migrant boat tragedies. They’ve got their heads screwed on the right way. It’s been a pleasure working with them this week. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/06/23/two-days-of-infection-data-today/

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Happy Anniversary to Baz and Hillary. At least you didn’t fall over the day before unlike me this weekend. On our anniversary we were going to visit a a nature sanctuary at the south end of Lake Annecy and have a lunch out somewhere.  As it turned out I was basically stuck in our room until dinner time.  Aditi went out and found a takeaway for our lunch as the hotel was fully booked as it was Father’s Day. Until we left in addition to our half board evening meal we made a reservation for lunch. At least that way we got to investigate the full choice menu. 

Tony

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13