The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

15 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Cycling materials through those sort of pressure and temperature changes could have some unknown effects.

As alleged in a lawsuit settled in 2018. (Linked earlier.) In that process it was alleged that the vessel was only built to a certified pressure representing a depth of 1,300m rather than the 4,000m depth to which it would subsequently dive.

There will no doubt continue to be 'news' on the lack of certifications, and not "classing" the vessel (as charter vessels usually are) to avoid multiyear approval processes. It does not have DNV-GL certification from Det Norske Veritas despite a marketing claim that it *would* meet or exceed this certification.

Similar CBS News article here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Links
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

New reporting tonight:

CNN: US Navy detected implosion on Sunday and relayed information to search efforts, official says (live/changing link)

I long felt the USN had more data than was being shared publicly - for obvious reasons.

Especially as various locations in the West had the technology to detect the Kursk disaster (admittedly a somewhat bigger bang) 23 years ago.

Bear here....

First mission of the day involves washing the Bearmobile.  Poo.

Activities after that are very much MIUABGA, but will no doubt include fitting the (modified) spring loaded door stop in the hallway to stop the front door from whacking the new** radiator.

(**So new, in fact that it doesn't actually exist yet)

BG

• Like 17

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As alleged in a lawsuit settled in 2018. (Linked earlier.) In that process it was alleged that the vessel was only built to a certified pressure representing a depth of 1,300m rather than the 4,000m depth

Which is three times as much pressure. (4000 meters is 400 times atmospheric pressure.)

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

32 minutes ago, polybear said:

Especially as various locations in the West had the technology to detect the Kursk disaster (admittedly a somewhat bigger bang) 23 years ago.

Detected on a Norwegian seismic array (amongst other detectors presumably).

The original 'discovery' of the RMS Titanic wreck site in 1985 was only approved after the wrecks of USS Thresher* and USS Scorpion* were examined (as cover).

* Both nuclear submarines, lost with all hands. Wreck site examinations evaluated whether there was environmental contamination from the reactors.

CNN: Inside the secret US military mission that located the Titanic

Wikipedia: USS Scorpion

The U.S. Navy secretly lent Ballard the submersible to visit the wreck sites of the Thresher and Scorpion. In exchange for his work, the U.S. Navy then allowed Ballard, a USNR officer, to use the same submersible to search for RMS Titanic.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull and windless start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. The temperature is currently 17C so it’s still warm out there. I shall shortly be setting off for my walk to the butchers to collect the weekly meat rations and a pork pie for my dinner. Then I’m off to the Trafford Centre for a few more items that can’t be bought locally. After that, I’ll put my feet up and read a book. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Quite humid last night but it didn't affect my sleep too much, five hours solid sleep. The Titanic sub tragedy makes it obvious that where there's money to be made the cowboys come running.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Quite humid last night but it didn't affect my sleep too much, five hours solid sleep. The Titanic sub tragedy makes it obvious that where there's money to be made the cowboys come running.

And then you think of a certain company's electric cars which can trap occupants in the event of a crash/fire where the electrics fail because it autolocks in the event of an outage, or whose rockets take off leaving a trail of destruction and on minimum safe number of motors.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

Smaller sized (summer) shorts - given measurements suggested a tight fit - picked up from store and brought home. Tried them on - still too big but they will have to do. 

Bear has a fix:  Scoff Cake until they fit 😁

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Greetings from the city sized sauna that is Kyōto at this time of year.

During my perambulations around the city, in search of beautiful gardens and exquisite temples and shrines, I came across yet more evidence of The Bears time in Japan, raking it in as a かわいい (Kawaii) advertising sensation:

IMG_3254.jpeg.2dff0be5c43ce73719053c603433fc2f.jpeg

given that “media and sporting personalities“ can make more money from advertising things than they sometimes make as actors or sports stars, one must conclude that The Bear must’ve been minting it in Japan!

We know about the Nikka whiskey gig, the “big, bear boots“ gig, and now the Coca-Cola job, what else will I discover about PB and his commercial adventures during the rest of my stay in Japan?

Has @iL Dottore not found the Bear Train yet?

PB often refers to “Micky the MG”, but given the above lucrative activities, how can we tell whether or not PB is being economical with the vérité and actually it is not “Mickey the MG“ but rather “Mickey the Merc“?

Just asking for a 友人!

Of course MG could be shorthand for MiG.....

- incidentally, Mickey now gleams once more; fortunately Bird Sh1t is much less of a problem at present cos' the bluddy great Plane Tree outside Bear Towers is now covered in leaves so they act as a barrier 🙂

• Like 17

Despite cloud and a bit of rain it's still too 'ot, not much sleep so got up at 5 am and went fishing, fly fishing a local river estuary hoping for a Salmon, more likely a Sea Trout, but ended up catching a dozen wee Sea Trout known as "finnock", I might go back again tonight and fish into the dark.................................or more likely I'll have an early night, nae stamina these days lol.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Greetings from the city sized sauna that is Kyōto at this time of year.

During my perambulations around the city, in search of beautiful gardens and exquisite temples and shrines, I came across yet more evidence of The Bears time in Japan, raking it in as a かわいい (Kawaii) advertising sensation:

Look out for what could be Kyoto's most famous export . A high school band. World wide following

and took the Rose Parade in California by storm in Jan 2018 .

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Ironing finished in fine style just in time for lunch.the music chosen was initially sides  one and two of Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy.  Was then going to be Mozarts horn concertos but the pile was still a bit daunting so I put Who's Next on and cranked the volume up.  Everything was done in time to sit down and listen to Won't get fooled again. 

Baz,Happy Anniversary, you've caught us up again, hope the innards settle down.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy anniversary to Baz and Mrs O.

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy annie, Baz & Hillary.

A mere 19c on the rock today, very windy and occasional showers.  I have a day off from house hunting, Debs is in charge today.  I think a decision has been made, a most pleasant property.

It's not just in Japan - What about Bear's mint franchise?

bear.png.5a882944727f13e6c44bb31fb3608e3e.png

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear has a fix:  Scoff Cake until they fit 😁

Has @iL Dottore not found the Bear Train yet?

Of course MG could be shorthand for MiG.....

- incidentally, Mickey now gleams once more; fortunately Bird Sh1t is much less of a problem at present cos' the bluddy great Plane Tree outside Bear Towers is now covered in leaves so they act as a barrier 🙂

Has Mickey been repaired yet? I don't remember seeing a post about that. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

What about Bear's mint franchise?

He has to split the proceeds with a Fox...

Veering into parallel lines territory, the Bear is called Peppy and was designed by CR Dalby, one of the illustrators for the Rev Awdrys Railway Stories!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4