The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

it makes you wonder how many people they employ to do text chat on a F1 race.

Sometimes the infrequency of the rolling F1 comment makes me think that there's only one, they're enjoying the coverage themselves and are forgetful of the fact that they're supposed to be updating the thing!

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Sometimes the infrequency of the rolling F1 comment makes me think that there's only one, they're enjoying the coverage themselves and are forgetful of the fact that they're supposed to be updating the thing!

They're probably watching Sky so the text commentary is based off that

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, TheQ said:

Big piece on TV this morning about using AI robot voices to commentate on sports matches..

Most commentary is drivel, instantly forgettable, but will AI raise to the heights of "They think its all over..." and "The bowlers Holding, the batsmans Willey"?

• Funny 12

8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Big piece on TV this morning about using AI robot voices to commentate on sports matches..

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Most commentary is drivel, instantly forgettable, but will AI raise to the heights of "They think its all over..." and "The bowlers Holding, the batsmans Willey"?

Some actual concrete proposal or a pie in the 'Sky' fantasy.

ChatGPT is not really AI, it is a very clever guess the next word machine learning.  So basically it would need to watch what is going on, understand the objective of the game, understand the strategy being employed and then what sort of things it needs to say and when.  It also needs time to think of the answer, so there could be a lag between the ball hitting the net and the AI saying anything more clever than "GOAL!!!!!!".

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Possibly the exception to the rule? My Scottish friends certainly assure me that there is a Highland/Lowland divide (can’t say for Wales), but in Scotland industry is in the south of country.

Not any more, apart from most of the distilleries being in Northern half, engineering for the oil and now off shore wind turbines is north of the Forth these days.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

Certainly the case when I was at school in the Hebrides and Inverness, the Gaels would call the Scots "sassanachs", the Scots would call the Gaels "teuchters".

https://youtu.be/J8XT8oTcko0

The old highlanders would say the English did the Highland clearances, but in actual fact it was the English speaking Scots from the south and east that were mostly responsible.

The Doric speakers call anyone from the country as apposed to the town as "teuchters" these days, including me..............................................

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

I had my lunch outside again earlier this afternoon. I was three quarters through when the dark clouds yonder got nearer...

IMG_7324a.jpg.015c497df6f847f8e809c2bc83e13a04.jpg

and darker...

IMG_7325.jpeg.777d4ead3878fe278c7e0b6acb697288.jpeg

A breeze had already picked up. There was a slight dampness in the air. The sun went in. I put my lunch to one side.  The washing went into the porch. I sat down and finished my lunch. I then started to resize a box to fit one of my shopping spree returns by which time the dark clouds had moved on, with no sound of thunder and no sign of rain. The sun came out. The washing went out. Mostly blue sky now and time for a mugadecaf.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

My parcel arrived after lunch so I walked down to The Shed about an hour and a half ago.  The thermometer was reading 32.6°C so I made my excuses and left.  Also left the door and windows open in the faint hope that it will cool down a bit.....it has, to 31°C.  Now back in the house which is a bit cooler but not much.  Some breeze and dampness would be nice about now.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

News outlets reporting they have found a debris field near the Titanic.

The search may be reaching it's conclusion, I cannot imagine how hard it must be for loved ones waiting for news especially where there has been a countdown ticking from 96 hours.

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Back in the days of the King James's ( before they took over England, Ireland, and Wales) one of them set up the equivalent of the east India company, to go and tame the Highland and island  savages. They definitely weren't friends.

The Ulster Plantation (officially 1609) ended up being more durable (but subsequently problematic) than other Scottish colonies - like New Caledonia* (1698).

* Not the Department Français in the Pacific (Nouvelle Calédonie) but in the Darién Gap on The Spanish Main.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Am reminded of Benjy and Franky Mouse:

A simple one should suffice. ... Program it to say "What?" and "Where's the tea?" Who'd know the difference?

(Douglas Adams)

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

The old highlanders would say the English did the Highland clearances, but in actual fact it was the English speaking Scots from the south and east that were mostly responsible.

Weren't there a number of lowlanders in the "Government" forces at Culloden? (I don't present any expertise here.)

I'm thinking particularly of forces under Lt Col John Campbell, 5th Duke of Argyll - whose "Highland Battalion" included the Campbell of Argyll Militia - who were later used to pursue Jacobites including at Lochaber and Shiramore.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Weren't there a number of lowlanders in the "Government" forces at Culloden?

Highlanders too.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

37 minutes ago, BoD said:

Saturation point news coverage..

Which will now turn to the lawsuit(s) between the company and a former executive who claimed the design was dangerous, and potentially subject to failure after multiple pressure cycles, without more exhaustive non-destructive "safety" testing.

CNN: 2 former OceanGate employees voiced safety concerns years ago about the hull of the now-missing vessel

With the company being located in relatively 'nearby' Everett, Washington, we have had extra doses of 'local' news on the submersible news story from Seattle television stations who have many stories on file related to the company.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

BIN day...

Everything put out last evening, once it was somewhat cooler.

Bust yesterday and today with work changes, looks like finally the Long Island client may reduce my hours as they are trying to implement some cost savings!

No idea how that'll pan out. 

Whitney with us again from yesterday afternoon, Jemma doing a 4-day trip, Paris and return twice.

Weather here continues to provide unhealthy air quality and provide too much heat into the bargain.

20c at BIN time, reaching 32c for the high yesterday AND today, really is miserable with the poor air quality.

Onward.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

51 minutes ago, BoD said:

Tragic - yes.

Feel for the loved ones - yes.

Inevitable result - probably.

Incredible and very expensive international rescue effort.

Saturation point news coverage..

Meanwhile in the Med……….

The Med, the Canaries, and the Channel too, though the RNLI is probably keeping the death toll down there by fishing them out of the drink.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3