The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Highlanders too.

Yes.. one part of my family were there with swords.. another part where there with.. muskets..not a good idea..

Baz

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

City of Port Moody have been installing various outdoor entertainments in city parks over the last couple of years. One near us has table-tennis tables, large-scale chess game and hammocks. I was at the local recreation centre this morning and saw this by the soccer pitch (and there's a table-tennis table in the background):

IMG_5106.JPG.0b9aeaaf7912d2dd9397271b93e26821.JPG

• Like 18

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

It is but is it intelligent 

Rather depends on your definition of "intelligent". So-called "Generative AI" seems to meet a standard I'd at least call "clever".

Some generative AI applications are passing bar exams - which may say something about how the law is taught and examined. They're in the wheelhouse for deep learning - much of teaching the law being memorization and application of precedent.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Rather depends on your definition of "intelligent". So-called "Generative AI" seems to meet a standard I'd at least call "clever".

Some generative AI applications are passing bar exams - which may say something about how the law is taught and examined. They're in the wheelhouse for deep learning - much of teaching the law being memorization and application of precedent.

We had a report on one piece of ChatGPT engined application where the owners state in their terms and conditions if anyone sues them because of what you put through it, then you personally have to pay the legal fees of their representation.

Scary!  Needless to say we were told in no uncertain terms not to test this particular one.

Then last week it was the AI engined Dating App where you could interact with an AI powered avatar of your potential dating partner to see if you liked them or not.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, BoD said:

Saturation point news coverage..

New reporting tonight:

CNN: US Navy detected implosion on Sunday and relayed information to search efforts, official says (live/changing link)

The US Navy detected an acoustic signature consistent with an implosion on Sunday in the general area where the Titan submersible was diving in the North Atlantic when it lost communication with its support ship, according to a senior Navy official.

Audio of the implosion was picked up by a network of sensors as part of an underwater Navy acoustic listening system, said the official, who declined to go into more detail about the secret system. 

I long felt the USN had more data than was being shared publicly - for obvious reasons.

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 6

46 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Migration by sea is a huge problem for commercial shipping, ships are legally obligated to render assistance to those in distress at sea, and entirely properly so.

Then there's this sort of lawlessness at sea.

(I understand this is not at all representative of the billions of cargo miles sailed by responsible shipping companies, but it does happen, and more than most people would realize.)

This instance would have been completely unknown - except for a telephone with the incriminating video being left in a Fiji taxi cab two years later. "Truth will out" I suppose.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Then there's this sort of lawlessness at sea.

(I understand this is not at all representative of the billions of cargo miles sailed by responsible shipping companies, but it does happen, and more than most people would realize.)

This instance would have been completely unknown - except for a telephone with the incriminating video being left in a Fiji taxi cab two years later. "Truth will out" I suppose.

There are some very bad elements in maritime, this seems to be more prevalent in the fishing sector than in commercial shipping and worse in parts of the deep sea Asian fishing sector than others, unfortunately.

There are parts of the shipping sector that exist to carry cargo at minimum cost, no questions asked, service clients who face difficulties accessing alternatives etc.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Weren't there a number of lowlanders in the "Government" forces at Culloden? (I don't present any expertise here.)

I'm thinking particularly of forces under Lt Col John Campbell, 5th Duke of Argyll - whose "Highland Battalion" included the Campbell of Argyll Militia - who were later used to pursue Jacobites including at Lochaber and Shiramore.

4 regiments of Scots and Gaels, 1 regiment of Irish, 11 regiments of English . However by this time English regiments could have large amounts of Irish, Welsh and Scots in their numbers.

Post the "event" many on the rebel side joined the government forces, some "hiding" some openly. They had been loyal to their clan chiefs who had called them out to battle, but not necessarily to the "cause" .  Many had gone home after the battle of Falkirk, more had left at Culloden before the battle due to disputes between the clan Chiefs , also because of disputes between the clan chief and prince Charlie.

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 19

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

5 hours sleep, came down to the sofa, just about got to sleep again and Ben the smelly Collie let out a big one, I had to open the windows!! 2 hours sleep.

We've been on patrol, very very  heavy dew this morning, 100% blue welkin, the apple trees appear to have a lot of fruit forming. Ben walked with me for a bit, which is unusual, normally he wanders around.. he's back on SWMBO's chair snoring now.

He'll awake shortly, soon as I head to the kitchen to make breakfast.

Plans for today,

Go make an exhibit of myself at https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/..

We have tourists wandering down the road.. it must be summer ( 07:20)

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As is proper.

Its very right and proper, but a great drain on resources for the RNLI, who are funded by public donations and crewed by volunteers who don't get paid for their services.  But still do the job.

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Not a bad night's sleep, I woke about 06.30 and made the first mug of tea for the day ad have caught up on my e mails and sorted out a copy of an image someone wants permission to use in a YouTube video.  I'll e mail it to him after breakfast.

It's cloudy and humid outside, it may be a day for some light gardening and perhaps a walk.  I might even do a bit of research into the possibility of a new mobile as mine is getting old.  It doesn't get used much but it does need to work well, especially in areas of poor signal strength.

I also want to do some model things. I will probably cut the new plastic pipe covers and put them round the pipes to the upstairs radiators.

Or I could just sit and read!

David

P.S. Yesterday morning I said my internet was slow.  I've realised it was simply that my PC was doing a back up of some files to the cloud - they are just photos I really do not want to lose if I have a disaster at home.  I must reschedule it for a better time.

D.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

New reporting tonight:

CNN: US Navy detected implosion on Sunday and relayed information to search efforts, official says (live/changing link)

I long felt the USN had more data than was being shared publicly - for obvious reasons.

Altogether a terrible business from so many aspects. And yes, the USN was quite correct to withhold information until they had evidence to corroborate their assessment, even without the obvious need for secrecy.

Despite the fact that it had previously been to those depths it seems the hull had a catastrophic failure. Cycling materials through those sort of pressure and temperature changes could have some unknown effects.

• Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2