The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

(59533/100)*17%=  £10,120

Not sure I follow your sums. 

(59533/100)*17% = 101.20

Unless you mean 59533*17/100? (being annual interest on the whole principal - assuming simple fixed interest)

I can't imagine a lender ever loaning someone anything where the interest payment essentially consumed their entire paycheque - though I assume you were trying to illustrate just that.

"Averages" are misleading anyway - given inequities in wealth distribution. "Medians" are more useful in this context.

Curiously, over the weekend, CNN provided an interesting interactive tool (US only) to track US home affordability during the 21st century by time and region.

CNN: Buying a house is the hardest it’s been in nearly 30 years - See what affordability looks like where you live

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

Today is the Juneteenth Federal holiday - which is the newest recognized holiday, beginning as such in 2021. I don't know if it is one most companies actually give their employees off on the day or move around as a 'floating' holiday.

Apparently yesterday's weather was 'interesting' across the area. While I saw heavy rain and small hail, an eastern Portland metro suburb saw 'rivers' of hail and water flowing in the streets. Statewide there was an EF0* tornado and a waterspout, along with mountain snow.

* The smallest kind and not usually damaging

Portland saw about 25mm of rain - a record for the date. June is not usually very wet.

Last night's weather forecasts suggested we might tie a record cool daily high temperature today (16°C) but there's been enough intermittent sunshine that I wonder if we will exceed the forecast high. Out walking this morning saw clear-weather precipitation. Looking toward the sun, it was clearly raining, despite mostly blue skies. (There was a hint of a grey cloud overhead.) The raindrops were very fine and didn't last long.

Some hours later it is quite overcast.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Spelling
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

can't imagine a lender ever loaning someone anything where the interest payment essentially consumed their entire paycheque - though I assume you were trying to illustrate just that.

Well it could have certainly completely used up one of our pay cheques and a  chunk of the other. However unlike some people in our road at least the value, whatever that means, of the house was always bigger than our mortgage loan. When we were seeking a mortgage in 1990 it was scary the amount some lenders were prepared to lend us. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Well my e-mails are back after almost twenty hours. I was expecting dozens to plough through but there was only four. It doesn't feel as muggy as recently so it should be a comfortable night. The weather forecast is for some more rain but the weekend should be a scorcher.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

After waiting two hours for the house to heat up to a comfortable temperature (it is the second half of June, after all), I gave in at lunch time and put the central heating on.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

We bought our first house in 1977 for $50K (approx) with a reasonable interest rate fixed for 5 years.  After 5 years, we renewed at 18%.  During the year we found a new development that had secured a lower interest rate and would buy our house. It was also within walking distance of the railway station.

My father bought his (only) house in 1959. He had a 25-year fixed mortgage; later he could have paid it off but couldn't justify getting rid of a 2.5% (IIRC) loan.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, pH said:

At the same time, we have wet snow falling on roads in mountain passes in the south of the province.

I'm not surprised. It went down to 41F here last night at not much over 2000 feet.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

A trip to Driffield today.. the forecast indicates we will be watching rain fall. Bugggggrrrrrriiiitttt!

@polybear agreed!

Left our garden gate open last night to see if Mr Fox can find the rat hiding in our back garden.. we wait and see.

Time for my mugatea!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  It's warm and a bit muggy and  we may have rain today. Much tidying, washing, drying etc got done yesterday and we did some initial research into a potential fly drive trip to the UK at Christmas.  Hire car prices killed that idea, over £1k for a week.  

Today i'm off shopping in due course.  Not a lot else to report. 

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

BH....

Much the same 😒  diddy bits done but not nearly enough.  TC's

Some b'sterds need to die v. slowly + painfully; bear didn't watch video - text woz enough.  🤬🤬🤬🤬

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-65951188

BG

I was thinking that the effers should personally re-enact some of their videos on the principal of making the punishment fit the crime.

Hahahaaa....

Edited by Hroth
A more humane Mikado....
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1