The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not actually an import. Hartees was an Australian collaboration between Kelloggs and US-based Hardees

Hardees/Carl's Jr (Hardees in the east, Carl's Jr in the west) continues. Carl's Jr is the reason I don't (or very rarely) eat fast food burgers. In my early 20s I ate a Double western bacon cheeseburger for dinner every day for a few days. It put me off the low-end chain burgers pretty much for good.

Hartees played on a  perceived US-ness (and I assume therefore an assumption that they were  better or at least more exotic than the locals) by their TV and billboard ads which had a Yosemite-Sam style cowboy going "Yeeehah" !  As opposed to using  an Aussie stockman who'd have probably gone "Strewth...".

I've seen  my first Carl  Jr here recently, in a service station in western Sydney. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I've seen  my first Carl  Jr here recently, in a service station in western Sydney. 

They have some interesting choices, but still taste like "fast food". You can do worse. The burgers are at least grilled/broiled rather than cooked on a flat top.

• Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

There used to be a transporter bridge between Runcorn and Widnes, crossing the Manchester Ship Canal and the River Mersey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widnes–Runcorn_Transporter_Bridge

It was done away with nearly 62 years ago, replaced by the first Runcorn road bridge. This is now obsolete, being replaced by a The Mersey Gateway toll bridge, the first Runcorn bridge was free to use but is now also a toll bridge, with free facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.

And before the transporter bridge there was a ferry.

Runcorn Ferry

That was the first time I heard the term, and it took me years to find out what it was.)

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In my early 20s I ate a Double western bacon cheeseburger for dinner every day for a few days. It put me off the low-end chain burgers pretty much for good.

They actually taste great but they're not good for you - which was evident to me after eating them for a few days in a row.

This guy ate only McDonalds food for 30 days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Size_Me

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Apparently the 40 millionth Canadian is expected to appear some time overnight tonight. (Increase = births+immigration-deaths)

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Et up!

Just looked at the weather forecast.. erm.. rain for the cricket around here from Sunday onwards. Pah!

I have to do an interview today.. hopefully the last.

Time to.. drink my yea..

TTFN

baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

After loading the rubbish from the cellar into the car and getting rid of it all at the tip, I’d still not had confirmation that my order from Screwfix was in, so I went home and started tidying up the workshop. I’d just finished tidying up, when Charlie called to say he wouldn’t be calling round today, as he was too tired from yesterday’s shift, what a light weight! Not long after, I got confirmation my order was ready so I tootled off and collected it. Once back home, I read the instructions (yes really) and looked at the hose and fittings. The hose fits the pump well enough, but it’s about 3-4 metres short. So, the plan is to fit proper (upvc) solid pipe work with welded joints, from the pump to the top of the garden retaining wall and then connect the hose (which came with a non return valve) to that. I’m also going to fit a screw union close to the pump so that I can remove it for cleaning etc. So, I now need to dig a pit for the pump, however, I have a large empty 20L plastic paint drum which I’ve been using to hold rubbish for the plan is to use this as a sump pit. It’s certainly large enough to hold the pump, but I wasn’t sure if there was enough room for the float switch to actually operate. So, this afternoon I tested to see if the float switch would operate before the water reached the top of the drum. Thankfully this worked, so the plan is to dig a hole that is just big enough for the plastic tub to sit, this will then be covered with a metal grill. Oh and the pump emptied the drum in less than a minute, result! So I’ve still got to dig a hole,  it at least I now have a waterproof container that is big enough for the pump and for the float switch to operate. 's 

Brian, just check that it wil switch on again after the sump refills.  I've got two of them in my irrigation system.  The float switches seem to stay off for quite a while when the tanks refill the switch on again. I think it' s to with the angle that the switch end up at.  

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Blue sky, sun, 'ot.  More 'otness  due today up to 29°C.

Up at 06.15 after another restless night, bedroom thermometer was showing 23°C and this with all windows open and fan running all night.  To say I don't like it would be an understatement.

The Boss wants to visit a garden centre and buy stuff but I have already exercised my veto.  No chance I'm gardening in this weather.  I will probably have another bash at tracklaying until it gets too hot in The Shed.  (Reached 33°C yesterday)

Soon be time for my Shredded Wheat.

Have a good one.

Bob.

Quite right about not gardening espically not planting. Its far, far to hot. You'd have swamp it with water which would be wasteful ie.  expensive and potentially damaging to the plant.

Far better to melt in the shed whilst laying track.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Brian, just check that it wil switch on again after the sump refills.  I've got two of them in my irrigation system.  The float switches seem to stay off for quite a while when the tanks refill the switch on again. I think it' s to with the angle that the switch end up at.  

Jamie

Jamie, I tested it 3 times and it worked fine each time. So now I'm happy using the old drum. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Jamie, I tested it 3 times and it worked fine each time. So now I'm happy using the old drum. 

Glad to hear that Brian. I hope that it all works for you. I was just passing osomething that I learned the hard way. 

Good moaning from a sunny Bournemouth.  Apparently we are going to the poo this morning.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from a sunny Bournemouth.  Apparently we are going to the poo this morning.

Jamie

I do hope ypu missed off the L from that, otherwise I don't like the sound of that! 

Edited by BSW01
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, southern42 said:

' morning all from red dragon land.

Sunny and a bit cooler at 25C. Rain at midday-ish so say the pinecone predictors. The garden could do with it.

Click n collect groceries this afternoon so I hope the rain stops by then - I hate handling soggy shopping - it is a bit of a walk from the car to the front door.

Toot on the flute. Pleased to say that the twiddly bits are mostly sorted on the first section of the new song - enough to play at a reasonable speed though I am still tripping up in a few places. So, it will be awhile longer before I progress onto the next bit. However, the pressure will be off for now and, hopefully, I can enjoy playing these few introductory bars.

Moving on. I have indulged myself by buying a new box with flanged wheels.

An item I keep in the medicine box may give you a clue...

IMG_7279a.jpg.c2e3d73f55ff76ca2f7ac3365aa35b00.jpg

but I actually got the Mint one. It will be interesting to see what the mint lozenges, which came with my order, taste like.

IMG_7276a.jpg.15b8fa35084d74a900b6eecd07ee276b.jpg

Take care. Be good. Breathe easy!

Polly

I had an email about the flange'd vehicle, an expensive way to acquire a packet of Fisherman's Friend!

While they certainly clear the sinuses, throat,etc and provide a certain numbness, the Original formulation verges on the inedible, except in dire circumstances. I've not tried the Mint, perhaps they'll be a little less aggressive...

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Hey it's Ashes time!

The long hot Antipodean friendly weather spell seems to be coming to an end. The weather now seems to be edging towards "rain stops play"...

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9