The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Off to Ueno and hence to the Science & Technology Museum - supposed to be one of the best in the world (which undoubtedly it is).

But first to negotiate the labyrinth that is Tokyo Station. As the sages say “if you are not confused, you’re not paying attention

• Like 13
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Physically handling the bricks is very therapeutic. There's something comforting in the tactile nature of it. Like 3D jigsaws, only so much better.

Way better than ballasting.

I think the importance of tactile feel is often under appreciated. Premium market car manufacturers pay a lot of attention to tactile feel, soft touch dash plastics, the feel of buttons and dials etc as it makes an enormous difference to how people react to the car. At a rational level most people know that an Audi A1 or A3 is the same car as a cheaper Seat or Skoda (oddly, I found the supposedly lower tier VW versions weren't much if indeed any cheaper) but people sit in the Audi and there's a much nicer cabin feel. It's just because they use a slightly higher grade of plastic and spend a few cents more on the switches but it makes a difference.

The reason I still like my mirrorless camera is I like the tactile feel, rotary dials, a physical shutter button (and perhaps most importantly, a viewfinder) of a real camera. In terms of results, at a like:like focal length (that's the other big reason for keeping a camera, you can use different lenses) a half decent smarthphone will outperform a camera thanks to advances in computational photography and the huge investments made by the software giants. I find the exposure systems of smartphones pretty much infallible and of course most people nowadays always have a phone with them.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I am a huge fan of Five Guys, I do like a Five Guys burger. Shake Shack are pretty good too, both are significantly more expensive than the other fast food chains but they're also a much better burger, the fries are also much better.

That said, I probably have a much better opinion of McD's and BK than most ERs. I wouldn't call them great food, but they offer a safe bet if you need something to eat (safe in terms of edibility, safe is probably not the right word in terms of health and nutritional value). I used to spend a lot of time in China, I'm a sinophile and love the country, the people and the food. For all that, even as a self-confessed lover of China there were times when I just wanted something like a burger and fries and McD's were a way to have a safe 'comfort' lunch when I wanted something different. And even as a lover of China, when you go to some of the shipyard towns it's not like Beijing or Shanghai, the food can be....ahem...different, as much as I love Chinese food some of it is challenging. Even in Singapore the food can be quite alien when you leave the central area, though I love peranakan food and have never felt anything like some of the food in China (look up stuff like bitter sa-pie).

On bread, I love Asian bread, but I suspect it must horrify dieticians. The bread in East and SE Asia tends to be very soft and sweet.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky and sunshine again.   Another too hot (for me) day in prospect.  Currently 24.5°C in the bedroom.

Up early as shortly we're actually going shopping in Sainsbury's and not having a delivery.  Did the same last week as we've got money off vouchers that can only be used in-store.

Back later.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18

Well done @Gwiwer congratulations on taking your first step as an international property tycoon and real estate magnate.

Y’know, you buy one – telling yourself that

you can easily stop at just one – and the next thing you know you have town and country properties and second holiday homes to get away from your first holiday homes and you are going to Property Tycoons Anonymous every Wednesday.,,,

I hope that you and Mrs Rick will have a splendid retirement down there!

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Regarding the comment made by @jjb1970 concerning tactile field of instrumentation and cabin (but in reference to cars) I remember a discussion, I had with a pilot regarding the instrumentation panels in a brand-new, state of the art, Airbus: although there were touchscreens an awful lot of the instrumentation (whether primary or back up) the controls were push-pull switches, rotary “chicken head“ dials, rocker switches, and the like.

The explanation that was given to me, was that firstly, it is easier to see if something is on or off with a old-fashioned switch or dial than with a touchscreen and secondly, because of the tactile feedback from clicking a switch or turning a dial, the user knows that he or she has actually turned something on (or off).

i’ve always wondered how really useful or practical a touch screen. Star Trek command deck controls would be. I can’t think of anyone that I know of who has never, ever done something using a touch screen instrument, and then accidentally erased what they’ve done by an how inadvertent swipe..

I don’t think a “real” Starship Enterprise would get much beyond the equivalent of episode two with touch screen controls: all it would take is for the gunnery officer to accidentally wipe the board with his sleeve, as he turns towards the captain to acknowledge an order and “zap“!  Klingons1; Federation Nil. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

the price was interesting, I had thought Cornwall would have been more expensive

It has been until very recently. There has been a rush to reduce prices and a significant upturn in property on the market since interest rates took off. We have seen higher-end properties reduced by as much as £100k. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

There’s a small club with a big shed nearby. Hayle Railway Modellers have what I think is a former agricultural building large enough to store a couple of 1:1 Deltics. I think my stuff might fit inside. 

Glad to know that they're still going after the fire at the old Chapel at Foundry Square in Hayle

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Gwiwer, the cottage looks really good.

When I was small I started with Brickplayer and Bayko before moving on to Meccano.

When was Lego first produced?  Am I deprived never having had any?  When people mention having had Lego when they were young it makes me feel old.

This morning started foggy with the foghorn sounding, now the sun has put in an appearance and it feels very pleasant.  I wonder what today will hold - I know what I would like to do but will it happaen?

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

When on a holiday in Turkey nearly 30 years ago we were struggling to find much to eat we liked, my daughter wanted a McDonalds........................................they lied, that was without doubt the weirdest burger I have ever consumed, I don't know what we ate, but it was not beef.

It's probably best you don't know......

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Go virtual!  You can create Lego components in3D modelling  software such as sketchup, theres many tutorials that cover it on youtube. There are websites that have blueprints and/or descriptions of pretty much every Lego component out there, then just download the instructions for whatever kit you like (those too are out there) and off you go!   A fun way to learn 3D software. 

So Kids can now play Lego on a P.C.?  Is nothing sacred anymore?

Incidentally, I've really noticed that during skool hollidayz there is a distinct lack of kids out playing in the street (as in zilch usually); now when I was a Cub the street would be full of kids playing - not any more.

I wonder how many kids can even ride a bike now, compared to just a few years ago?

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

(look up stuff like bitter sa-pie).

Bear is really, really wishing he hadn't......

"........and bovine bile, the bile giving it a bitter taste".

🤮

6 hours ago, Darlington_Shed said:

Well, congratulations. Sometimes it just feels like fate. But if that's the master bedroom in one of the estate agent pics, that bed is much too small. Just saying...

Nice Bannister Spindles**  Bear really must get out more......

(**They were an option for Bear Towers but they were all a little too short).

53 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Regarding the comment made by @jjb1970 concerning tactile field of instrumentation and cabin (but in reference to cars) I remember a discussion, I had with a pilot regarding the instrumentation panels in a brand-new, state of the art, Airbus: although there were touchscreens an awful lot of the instrumentation (whether primary or back up) the controls were push-pull switches, rotary “chicken head“ dials, rocker switches, and the like.

The explanation that was given to me, was that firstly, it is easier to see if something is on or off with a old-fashioned switch or dial than with a touchscreen and secondly, because of the tactile feedback from clicking a switch or turning a dial, the user knows that he or she has actually turned something on (or off).

The big downside with touch screens is if the screen goes down you lose all systems controlled by that screen - which can be rather a lot.  Now on Aircraft they are most likely to be dual redundant (you have another screen to use) but still a PITA.

I've also found that when working with screens they can be slower to use than when using good 'ol switches - which can be rather important when some B'sterd is shooting at you.....

50 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Meccano however....now yer talkin'.  Dad donated his pre-war stuff, and I got a lot more over the years, I wonder where it ended up?  Big brother's kids I suspect.

Take a quick look at the prices for Meccano Set 10......

Bear here.....

Up at Extremely Silly O'Clock (0458); I was planning an 0600 start in order to get the bins out (I forgot last night) and also to be ready for when the EDF Person arrives to swap the meters (0800 onwards).

Well the bins were done, I was down the Co-op for a little after 6am for essential rations then back home to prepare for EDF, which included reading both meters (which was due to be done today anyway).

Those paying attention awake a month ago may recall Bear sayin' I was going to shower instead of wallow for the next month to see what difference it made to the Gas Bill (there'll be a slight increase in leccy usage too as the hot water pump will be running for a little longer when wallowing, though I suspect the increase will be negligible).  Well today marks the end of that month and Bear didn't fall off the wagon once, so that's a Tick.

And the saving?  Well based on the previous Gas Bill I reckon I've saved.......(drum roll......) about £5.50, which is somewhat less than I was expecting after all.  Still a third of a Deltic a year though.

Incidentally, that's based on a rather low tech. (so rather inefficient) Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler, so I'd hazard a guess that those with modern Combi Boilers would see a smaller saving.

Right, it's 0930 and no sign of EDF as yet - the window ends at 1200, so lots of time yet.  The plan today will revolve around that activity (the leccy will go off during proceedings) so it's a MIUABGAD with somewhat limited options as a result.

In other news.....

It seems that a certain report claims Bojo was indeed a rather naughty boy - and recommends that he's no longer allowed in The Big House.  No doubt the TV News will be full of it.

BG

• Like 15

Good afternoon.

Back from the Tokyo Natural History and Science Museum and what a lovely museum it was.

The natural history, part features, naturally (no pun intended) on Japan, and this is to be found in an old and sensitively restored building. The displays and the exhibits are a mixture of traditional and modern and all the video displays have an option to watch them (or use them) in Japanese, English, Mandarin or Korean. There was a considerable space dedicated to evolution and, in the absence of an Abrahamic religious tradition, there was no pussyfooting about the topic. The evolution of the inhabitants of the Japanese islands, as well as the flora and fauna was explored with some very nice tableau: covering the same scene (man, woman, offspring). Being as authentic as they possibly can, the very earliest inhabitants of the islands were pictured completely starkers! Something, I guess you’re not going to see in the natural history Museum in London, any time soon
IMG_2264.jpeg.c7b322bd9368db9d0ea1a4fdff1b31ae.jpeg

And NO I am not going to show the tableau that is just before the one above: I do not want to get into trouble with AndyY.

Apart from the Museum itself, there were two other things that really impressed me. It being the summer holidays, the museum was full of children and whilst at times it got noisy and boisterous, there was none of the screaming,  yelling and temper tantrums from the children as was seen when I last visited the Natural History Museum in Kensington. Nor did you have legions of bored parents staring into their smart phones whilst their little darlings did their very best to demolish the exhibits.

The other thing that impressed me, again, apart from the museum’s exhibits and displays, was the gift shop. Whilst there was a fair amount of “pocket money budget“ souvenirs, they seem to be of a much higher quality than those I’ve noted in the museum shops of either the museums in Kensington or the National Maritime Museum, as of my last visits AND, unlike with many European museums, the children’s souvenirs actually did tie in with the topics covered in the museum. For adults, they has exquisite miniature dinosaur skeletons that you could order and which would be delivered directly to you from the manufacturer, (but only if you live in Japan)  

IMG_2278.jpeg.afedd95d599dee706919f15abc369644.jpeg

For the well heeled visitor – you could actually pick up a real bonafide fossil for your home collection (the large fossil in the photograph is going for about SFr.1500)

IMG_2276.jpeg.563ea065d90a6cf200da7ca5d456ed77.jpeg
And finally, incredibly popular in Japan, are the Gachapon: plastic spheres in many different colours, each containing one of a number of Collectibles. There are hundreds and hundreds of series of Collectibles – from cats as kitchen appliances (no, really!) to cultural treasures of Japan, to dinosaurs. Appropriately enough, all the Gachapon machines at the Museum, all had, museum related Collectibles in them.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, DaveF said:

When was Lego first produced?  Am I deprived never having had any?  When people mention having had Lego when they were young it makes me feel old.

A Google suggests 1958.

Bear won a box of Lego** in a colouring competition - you also had to name the characters in the picture.  Sadly I no longer have it 😢 - I suspect I grew out of it and swapped it for something else instead; I guess if I did still have it then it'd be buried in the loft and never used anyway.

**I very, very rarely won competitions, so it was a rather special event to get home from school to discover there was a parcel from Lego waiting for me 😃

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2