The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

5 hours solid sleep the about an hour in various bits.

Ben the I want out Collie has taken me on patrol, heavy dew, clear blue skies, light breeze.

Plans for today,

first battling with BT email system to stop double security access every time I want to access an email.

Some more checking of our show accounts.

Then I might wave the angle grinder at the pig sty wall.

Time to get the details of stopping BTs stupidity .

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another bright and sunny start to the day here in the northwest corner of England, where the temperature is currently 18C. My first task is to glue the 3 new pieces that I cut for the workshop door and then leave them to set. After dinner, I’ll trim them to size so that the door will close properly when I rehang the door. Whilst the glue is setting the plan is to have a good look at a location for a sump pump and exactly what will be needed to fit one. 

I forgot to mention last night, that I went out again to Sainsbury’s to finish off the shopping from Monday night, which had been cut short due to the shop flooding. Whilst doing so, I bumped into an old work colleague, whom I’d not seen for almost 20 years. He and I ended up chatting for probably around 30 minutes, it was nice to catch up with him, he is one of life’s ‘nice’ guys. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The problem wasn't so much leaking walls, it was that the vaults were below the water table.

Plenty of fun with that as the indusrial scene changed. There were several major private boreholes including Ansells brewery and the railway. The GWR had one at Hockley which fed all of their sites through Snow Hill, Moor Street and Bordesley to Tyseley shed. The LNWR had a ring main witb a borehole at Perry Barr which fed everything on the two routes from there to New Street including Aston and Monument Lane goods and loco sheds, Vauxhall, Monument Lane and Winson Green carriage sidings and Curzon Street  goods yard as well as smaller sites. It had a second feed at one time by the Queens Hotel according to my grandad. When steam ended and other railway sites were put onto the city. supplies  the water table in Birmingham rose by at least a foot, flooding the basements of many properties.

The LNWR one gave me a bit of fun a few years later. During a project meeting for some track renewals at New Street the civil engineer produced a preliminary survey plan including trial hole findings. There had been some concern as over the years a number of instances of running sand had been found in the station area. All test holes seemed OK except for one. Not sand but a metallic sound when an obstruction was hit. The PM asked me if I had any ideas as my ancestors and I had been continuously involved in the place for over 100 years. I made three suggestions, one being the LNWR water main but my memory was of that being about 15ft to the north. A second was that it could be part of the frame supports for No.5 box as the track there wasn't put in until the box was demolished in 1966. Now for the Wild Card. The original box was replaced after taking a direct hit during the blitz. My grandad was sheltering in Suffolk Street tunnel at the time and he told me that when they came out there were a couple of UXBs found by the box. There are some gaps in the crater pattern, I hope they found all of the ones that didn't go off. Fortunately the second suggestion was the right one.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Temperature indoors was 27C. again last night and again I slept well. I will have completed 75 laps of the sun in just over 3 weeks time so I'm getting my funeral arrangements sorted out. Keeping  it simple, just a cremation and a simple ceremony when my ashes are scattered. I hope that I've got a few more years yet before that happens.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Yippee!  My parcel is on the move and has departed Croydon and is scheduled to be here between 12.30 and 2.30. It is possible that I will be visiting The Shed to wave a soldering iron about after lunch.....as long as it's not too hot down there.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

The BT battle commenced with, .... You have had two many attempts at log in, try again in 20 minutes

25 minutes later... You have had two many attempts at log in, try again in 20 minutes.

Hmm since I hadn't tried to log in, what was causing it?

Went round house, two laptops, two phones, two tablets, one main PC, made sure they were all switched off...

30 minutes later switched on , immediately tried too access bt email web site, got in.

Went to allow the above without 2 level security, found it was possible to turn it off entirely, did so.

Then went to a lap top, got in, changed email setting , it loaded up the email back log.

Then loaded club show spread sheet immediately spotted the problem, = Sum(19G:49G) was producing the wrong result,  replaced it with = (19G+29G+39G+49G) that worked , sums now correct.

Took Ben for his long walk, the long route has changed, but only in a vertical direction!!

Another section has had its pot holes filled and one of those was over a foot deep.

Then further out into the marshes, a front loader was dumping a mixture of gravel, soil and brick rubble, then a bulldozer was leveling and compacting it to a dept of over a foot.!!

This is probably the biggest work done on those tracks since they were built, and they are probably Saxon / Danelaw period tracks. It must be costing the farmer a fair amount, which makes me wonder what the benefit is to him.

Only one laptop left to update the settings on now..

Drove the little red car round the garden. Getting batteries charged, and with a little constant light braking while driving, cleaned up brakes.

An eyelid inspection is required..

• Like 18

Some time ago, I had posted on this thread that whilst doing some research for my holiday in Japan, I stumbled on something called “ポリベア 失われた日本の時代” “Poribea ushinawareta Nihon no jidai” (polybear the lost Japanese years)

Now The Bear strenuously denied it (well, he would, wouldn’t he?). So imagine my surprise when I found this documentary evidence of @polybear’s time in Japan:

IMG_2230.jpeg.b0dc75e6057216788f3ae04e44899eb7.jpeg

Not only was he being paid big bucks to flog Nikka whiskey to the Japanese (the Japanese love what they call “Kawai” [cute]), but according to my impeccable Japanese sources, he was also paid in kind and was so badly behaved that he was kicked out of the country and now is Ursus Non Grata with the Japanese government. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

So jealous of anyone heading to Japan.

I was lucky enough to work there in 2019 and it forever changed me. My best description is, it was like going back in time to the future. Back in time because the society still has respect and thoughtfulness and the future because I don't think there is anything you can't buy from a vending machine!

One word of caution. Don't ask the man who bows at all the buses as they leave the airport for help just as a bus leaves, or he'll look at you in a way that makes you feel like you're in a episode of Tenko!

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Daniel

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, froobyone said:

So jealous of anyone heading to Japan.

I was lucky enough to work there in 2019 and it forever changed me. My best description is, it was like going back in time to the future. Back in time because the society still has respect and thoughtfulness and the future because I don't think there is anything you can't buy from a vending machine!

One word of caution. Don't ask the man who bows at all the buses as they leave the airport for help just as a bus leaves, or he'll look at you in a way that makes you feel like you're in a episode of Tenko!

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Daniel

And what is really amazing is how clean Japan is: streets, railway stations, even railway tracks (yes the tracks ate spotless). And all this, without many rubbish bins around (you might find one or two at the railway station, or next to a Conbini [or convenience store] and that’s about it).

The Japanese take the rubbish home with them for proper disposal; littering, and just throwing things away onto the ground, are Just Not Done!

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I bet you haven't noticed much graffiti in Japan....... Once of the things that now strikes me whenever I visit Europe or the US is the prevalence of graffiti. Once you get used to not seeing it, it sticks out like the eye sore it is. I know there are lovely murals in some places that are art, but most graffiti is just vandalism.

• Like 11
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, BoD said:

Well, I have finally done it.

What? I hear you ask, whilst you bate your breath.

Much to my surprise, whilst looking after our grandson today, I was persuaded to enter a McDonald’s.  Not only enter but I was also press ganged into paying for and consuming food therein.  

I suppose I must, grudgingly, give credit to the person with the business acumen to think… ‘I know, I can make a fortune by getting people to queue for lukewarm crap, make them eat it off a tray or the table and then , just to rub it in, I will get them clear up afterwards too’.  Kudos.

Clearly you've not stepped into a Five Guys or Tim Hortons - same idea but actually expensive rather than feeling expensive.  For the money McDonalds (and Burger King) are good value.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 minutes ago, BoD said:

Much to my surprise, whilst looking after our grandson today, I was persuaded to enter a McDonald’s.  Not only enter but I was also press ganged into paying for and consuming food therein.  

I suppose I must, grudgingly, give credit to the person with the business acumen to think… ‘I know, I can make a fortune by getting people to queue for lukewarm crap, make them eat it off a tray or the table and then , just to rub it in, I will get them clear up afterwards too’.  Kudos.

I am ashamed to admit that I once had a McDonalds in France ☹️

The friend I was travelling with had felt unwell that morning (hangover!) which lasted through the normal French restaurant lunchtimes (I had breakfasted so wasn't starving) but she felt better by about 2PM and we happened to see a large McD near Mantes so she begged me to stop there. The quality of the beef was rather better than in the UK and the bun was less sweetened but it seemed odd to find 25cl bottles of wine on the menu.

I later discovered though that  there are more McDonald's outlets per million people in France than in Britain so yah boo sucks to French food snobbery. 

Does anyone else remember when "American Hamburger" restaurants were popular in Britain (or at least in London). They weren't fast food joints- more like steakhouses but with burgers rather than steak and were licensed. They were far more upmarket than McD or BurgerKing which hadn't really reached these shores yet but, when I first visited North America I was surprised to find that such restaurants were almost unknown there though and burgers were very much fast food.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

17 minutes ago, BoD said:

I can go one better than that. Fancy getting all the mayor's of the London boroughs to attend a launch of London in bloom in full regalia and not closing the branches just cording off an area within the establishment. Now that's got to be £&+(£@_&-+ for business.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Still very warm here, 28°C in the conservatory with doors and windows open and a bit of a breeze blowing through.  The sun is in front of the house so the back garden is now almost all in shade thanks to our neighbour's loft extensions.  In about an hour I will haul out the hose and give the flower beds a soaking.   Might also soak my insides with a cool beer shortly.

• Like 16