The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Never a truer word spoken Baz.  It never ceases to amaze me that she has put up with me for so long!

Congrats GDB, I think you are not alone in that statement, is it ex rugby players lol?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

No cricket involvement this evening so may even get time to catch up with myself.

Last week involved a trip to a ground not visited before, because it didn't exist. Probably not yet officiated at by @Barry O lt it's about 30 minutes closer to Leeds than his venue today. (Just noticed game is off)

The club concerned were at a small old ground surrounded by houses. They bought a field next to the River Goyt in Lower Bredbury and have just started playing there. It's still a bit work in progress but will be good when completely finished with two pitches and a clubhouse.

DSC01722.JPG.186b8264c9c8fd6e9329860ff6919bd5.JPG

DSC01724pan.JPG.77de658f7988efbd6bd10fd9bb90307b.JPG

Hard to believe it's only just over a mile from the middle of Stockport

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Updates to other information just posted
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Congrats GDB, I think you are not alone in that statement, is it ex rugby players lol?

Could be TB, I remember when we were deciding on a wedding date that I said she could pick any day she liked "as long as it wasn't in the rugby season!"  She never batted an eyelid.

• Like 14
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I really wonder how these kids are going to manage out in the “real world“? All the things these kids fret about the real world does NOT care about. Furthermore, some of the - how can I put it – [ahem] “concerns” that they have are not shared by the majority of the population in the majority of the countries in the world.

... who have made such a good job of running things?

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder what they would make of garum?

They'd probably love it! 

As a bit of advice, if you're ever in China and locals describe flavours using words like 'mysterious' and 'exotic' then run. Run as fast as you can and don't stop.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I totally agree. good manners cost, nothing, lubricate the runnings of society and are conducive to people doing a good job (if you are in a customer facing job [as the jargon has it] Would you prefer to serve someone or assist someone who is pleasant, says “please“ and “thank you“ and regards you as a fellow human being, or serve someone who believes that you are “beneath them”, and doesn’t even bother to say thank you after what you have done for them.

Bear has advertised stuff on Freegle (Freecycle) to give away - more than once I've had a message saying "I'll have it".  Oh no you won't, thinks Bear.....I'd rather bin it.

What’s more, (returning to the topic of his students) I think either he is being far too soft on these students or his hands are tied by his administration.

At the College where Bear's Muddle Engineering Group used to meet there was a Motor Vehicle Engineering Class - definitely an environment for not p1ssin' about.  The Tutor had to tell & show a pair of Students three times how to do a task on a Car, and each time they screwed up cos' they weren't listening & p1ssin' about.  At that point he said something along the lines of "FFS if you don't want to be taking this course then stop wasting my time and don't bother coming any more".

Result?  They complained to the Principal and he had to stand there and apologise to them.  He took early retirement shortly afterwards - and the College had a hell of a job finding a replacement.

11 hours ago, BSW01 said:

So, once back home, I dropped the shopping bags in the kitchen and headed downstairs to the cellar. There was water coming in through the seals where the glass meets the door frame of outside door, but there was a lot more water on the outside. Through the glass of the cellar doors I could see that the water level was between 20 and 24 inches deep! So, I spent the next 40 minutes alternating from outside bailing the area in front of the cellar door and inside the cellar as well, I must have emptied the buckets at least 40 times! 

Any way you can fit a drain outside, or maybe an auto pump?  Or an easily removable flood barrier across the outside of the doors?  Whilst such occurrences must be rare I imagine that a lot of damage could be caused if you were out all day/on holiday and it were to happen.

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

The Great Empire had various "Art" by local (College?) Students hung in various places around the site - all random stuff rather than landscapes etc.  Each had a note next to it describing what the piccy represented - the contents of which most definitely fell within the scope of "artyboll0cks" at it's most finest.....

Bear here......

Danglin' done - that was the last top coat on the hallway architrave.  Big Tick.

Right, time for something more interesting......😉

In other news......

VHBAW's to @grandadbob GDB & SWMBO  🍰🍰

BG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Congratulations to GDB + 1. And sympathies with Brian, sounds nasty, especially after a visit to the hospital.  

No thunderstorms round here - I heard rumbling last night - no, not anybody's stomach - it was just someone moving a wheelie bin about. Meanwhile, the birds are taking frequent drinks and baths - the blackbird and magpie in particular are fond of standing in the water as if they want to cool their feet. Understandable, the weather reminds me of:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=6PTlknhq&id=707EF47807FB97867BF9D3E50A17EFA6DB12D548&thid=OIP.6PTlknhqha4sVobXWDv1MgHaFK&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR.e8f4e592786a85ae2c5686d7583bf532%3frik%3dSNUS26bvFwrl0w%26riu%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.rabittooth.com%2f13_calvin%2fspiff%2fspiff66.jpg%26ehk%3d2VjAjPoGtwZAFunx%2bJ4H9aY%2b60HASrRQMA5OgOneFDw%3d%26risl%3d%26pid%3dImgRaw%26r%3d0&exph=538&expw=771&q=Calvin+and+Hobbes+Spiff&simid=608029350850732418&FORM=IRPRST&ck=92772ED75852C93E3300B3C73A3EFCDA&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

Just coming to the end of my lunch outside in the sunshine, when OH brings the emptied 👏 recycle bins down from the collecting spot.  Munching away on my last toasted sarnie, I was reminded of earlier postings from Gwiwer and myself on the topic of "English" words expressed in Welsh as I gazed upon the set of blue bins.

List of items listed on the orange flap of the middle bin (English underneath):

IMG_7243.jpg.d253421698172e52195476068c724003.jpg

How many do you recognise?

Those ending in -i, -iau, and -au are plurals.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Sweaty I am, knackered I am.

First did some digging near the well, and  moved some of the raised bed edging into place,

Then my sailing compatriot turned up and we had a muggacoffee while sorting out the world, he's getting his white van man Van MOTd next week, so he must be thinking of getting back to work.

After that it was back to a the well, I decided to move an oblong slab to be replaced by a square slab matching the other side.

Hmm Slab? Turned out to be concrete very well smoothed over a cobbled path, the cobbles were just large pebbles probably off the beach. That turned out to go under the concrete cap of the well by about six inches!!. and I'm guessing right up to the edge of the original brick well. So it looks like the square Brick top of the well precedes the concrete cap by some years..

Much levering pulling and xxxxx to get it out..

I've decided to put in the new slab temporarily, but not under the concrete cap. This will give me something to stand on while demolishing the cap.

It advances the cap removal. First I need to put in the raised area "wall" to stop soil dropping in from the back,  then put fencing round the outer area to stop Ben or anything else getting in there. We

have some puppy fencing that hooks together that will do the job. Then I'll angle grind cuts in the concrete, to enable it to be removed, hopefully in sections not going down the well....

However the pig sty wall will have to come down first, so once well cap deconstruction is finished reconstruction with bricks ex pig sty can commence.

Just realised the raised walling at one side that's already in place may have to move in towards the well once the concrete cap is removed....

Time for a can of something before preparing dindins.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. After yesterdays exertions I'm taking it easy today, having to stay indoors because of the hay fever. Despite the inside temperature being 27C. I don't feel at all hot. Time for another cold drink, BBL.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, southern42 said:

Just coming to the end of my lunch outside in the sunshine, when OH brings the emptied 👏 recycle bins down from the collecting spot.  Munching away on my last toasted sarnie, I was reminded of earlier postings from Gwiwer and myself on the topic of "English" words expressed in Welsh as I gazed upon the set of blue bins.

List of items listed on the orange flap of the middle bin (English underneath):

IMG_7243.jpg.d253421698172e52195476068c724003.jpg

How many do you recognise?

Those ending in -i, -iau, and -au are plurals.

You recycle hamburgers?

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold

Happy Anniversary to Bob and Mrs Bob.

Sorry for lateness, we got up early this morning and got to the Channel Tunnel with plenty of time for our booked crossing. The lady who stamped our passports was very jolly and pleasant showing that it isn’t necessary to be grumpy at borders. The trip to Troyes (our overnight stop ) was an easy journey. My telepeage tag worked perfectly. This was very pleasing as the Evoque is well known for making tags unreadable due to its windscreen construction. I don’t think I will be trying the 30 drive through ones yet though!
Tony

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

A rather nice din dins was had in the company of three Muddle Engineering Group Buddies - one of whom is having a pretty sh1tting time at work due to a certain T0sser (it sounds like they're trying to get rid of him).  'Sterds.

Four nice main meals (we're talkin' Pub Grub here) came to a tad under sixty notes, which I didn't think was bad at all.  One of those present *may* have had an Ice Cream Sundae Chaser though.....😁.

I also had a bit of a result on the way there when travelling along a road known for parking a speed detector van - and there they were.....

Now Bear is "pretty good" when it comes to speed limits now (though I won't claim to be an Angel by any means) - it is all too easy to find yourself doing 35 in a 30 just at the wrong time (though this wasn't such a time, fortunately).  Definitely a Tick.

In other news.....

EDF have decided they're visiting Bear Towers uninvited on Thursday to fit Smart Meters.  Again.  They'll get no more chances if they don't work this time.

BG

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3