The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I had a call from my sister this morning which put me behind. To make matters worse I've slipped even further behind and there's still a lot of stuff to be done. Now I've got a bit of catching up to do on RMweb. 

• Friendly/supportive 16

58 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Gone are the days when you contacted someone to apologise for being late or having to cancelled. Perhaps its me but I think manners are the difference between us and animals.

I totally agree. good manners cost, nothing, lubricate the runnings of society and are conducive to people doing a good job (if you are in a customer facing job [as the jargon has it] Would you prefer to serve someone or assist someone who is pleasant, says “please“ and “thank you“ and regards you as a fellow human being, or serve someone who believes that you are “beneath them”, and doesn’t even bother to say thank you after what you have done for them.

What’s more, (returning to the topic of his students) I think either he is being far too soft on these students or his hands are tied by his administration.. Quite frankly, I do hope I never have to encounter any of his students, but with that sort of attitude, I think they will be very difficult to employ – unless they are able to be shoehorned into a job by daddy.

To be honest, I certainly wouldn’t want to be a university lecturer, in the UK at the moment. Apart from having to worry about my course material containing this-ism or that-ism (or whatever the Twitterati consider totally “unacceptable“ this week), I have to consider whether or not I need to put in “trigger warnings“, just in case the poor dears might encounter a word or a concept that bursts their little bubble of ignorance, nor would I be able to introduce them to the real world by having them face the consequences of what they do (such as being rewarded for good performance, or be penalised for substandard or bad performance).

I really wonder how these kids are going to manage out in the “real world“? All the things these kids fret about the real world does NOT care about. Furthermore, some of the - how can I put it – [ahem] “concerns” that they have are not shared by the majority of the population in the majority of the countries in the world.

“Self entitlement” has a very short shelf life in most of the world

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

12 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hmm.  In my experience it was:

Regional raw fish, seasonal raw fish, fresh raw fish, and allegedly, but not for me, healthy raw fish.

I'd starve.

You may not have been looking hard enough for example, you could’ve had

> Okonomiyaki

> Yakisoba

> Tonkatsu

> Karaage

> Wafu spaghetti

> Soba (and dipping sauce)

None of which even remotely involving fish (with perhaps the exception of Okonomiyaki - although you’d have to order it [usually shrimp] as an extra).

It seems to me that as many tourists come to Japan expecting to only get fish to eat, the Japanese as good hosts, make sure that they do only get fish to eat.

Certainly, my guide yesterday was a bit surprised to learn that I not only know about Okonomiyaki, but I also knew the difference between Osaka style and Hiroshima style.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

The Japanese eat a lot of chicken and pork, beef is popular but can be expensive, good beef is very expensive but it is extremely good. And as with most of Asia there is a wealth of excellent vegetarian options which are actually vegetarian and not trying to offer meat eaters a way to try and replicate meat without actually being meat (though the ersatz meat thing has also hit Japan). A common denominator in East and Southeast Asia is the status of noodles as a great comfort food, Japan, China, Korea and most of SE Asia love noodle dishes as a quick and tasty dish that leaves a full stomach.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

In some ways fish is more of an issue in China and SE Asia for people that prefer not to eat fish and seafood. In Japan there tends to be more of a distinction between fish dishes and none-fish dishes. In China and especially SE Asia it is quite common for fish and seafood to be used as a flavour in meat and vegetable dishes. And in some cases not just a mild part of a more complex flavour, fish sauce in Vietnam can reach the point of almost being weaponized with its potency and some pork belly dishes in China are much more akin to eating fish because of the use of fish sauce. In Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore a standard condiment served with many dishes is sambal, a chilli sauce made using fermented shrimp paste, it's one of those flavours which can be an acquired taste but is excellent when well done. You do find it to a degree in Japan but not to the same extent as China and SE Asia.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

50 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

In China and especially SE Asia it is quite common for fish and seafood to be used as a flavour in meat and vegetable dishes.

An observant Hindu, former colleague would usually ask for food at Thai restaurants to be prepared without the fish sauce base. Most Thai restaurants in the US will cater to vegetarians. I imagine that the resulting dish does not taste the same.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

The Japanese eat a lot of chicken and pork, beef is popular but can be expensive, good beef is very expensive but it is extremely good. And as with most of Asia there is a wealth of excellent vegetarian options which are actually vegetarian and not trying to offer meat eaters a way to try and replicate meat without actually being meat (though the ersatz meat thing has also hit Japan). A common denominator in East and Southeast Asia is the status of noodles as a great comfort food, Japan, China, Korea and most of SE Asia love noodle dishes as a quick and tasty dish that leaves a full stomach.

(My emphasis). Precisely!

This is what really annoys me about many of those who purport to be vegetarian; if you truly are vegetarian – for whatever reason – then why on earth do you need to have a meat substitute? Especially as many of the meat substitutes are highly processed and mostly synthetic substances (vegan “bacon“ being one, good example,).

I am definitely a bonafide, hard-core omnivore; but when I eat vegetarian food, I want to enjoy the vegetables and what can be done with them and not be eating a stew of chemicals purporting to be a meat substitute.

Chankonabe, which is a one pot stew favoured by sumo wrestlers for bulking up (provided that you eat a lot of rice as well) and it comes either as a version with meat or fish or as a completely vegetarian version. I have cooked the vegetarian version and believe you me it is so good that you don’t even notice that there is no meat or fish in the bowl.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

An observant Hindu, former colleague would usually ask for food at Thai restaurants to be prepared without the fish sauce base. Most Thai restaurants in the US will cater to vegetarians. I imagine that the resulting dish does not taste the same.

You'd hope not, or else there would be no point to including the fish sauce at all.

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Blackbird has been singing happily since about 04:00 this morning.. Guess how i know the time?

Off to Boughton Hall via the valley of death on the M62, M60, m6, m.....pah!

Never had a lotbof Japanese food.. the bits that I have eaten were enjoyed .. but its not cheap. A business trip to KL included entertaining a guest to a meal in the Japanese Restaurant in the Shangri-la La Hotel. Very nice but...OW MUCH??

Time to get myself up and ready to go I suppose..

Stay safe!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 17

10 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

We had lots of enjoyment from mixing Iodine with ammonium hydroxide. The result is perfectly stable when in solution but when it dries out will explode if a fly lands on it.

"Ginger", a pupil in my 5th year math class liked to distribute a little on the floor before the math teacher arrived. The teacher wore shoes with tackets in the soles.

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The world has returned to a semblance of normal as the visitors have left, not seen any figures yet but there will have been about 40,000 or so.  As our population is about 83,000 you can understand how different the rock feels TT week!

Loud and overcrowded?

Good to hear that the IoM is returning to the even tenor of its ways!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Another nice sunny morning with a very light breeze off the sea so it feels fresh.  I don't think I'll go inland today, it looks as though the coast will stay fresher.

The groceries have just come, there was one missing item which I don't need urgently and all the fresh stuff is very long dated.  While I put the wheelie bin away (my bin men come around 8.30 a.m.) I saw a couple of neighbours and had a brief chat.

Next job is to drop stuff off at church for asylum seekers and then to fill a charity bag ready for collection tomorrow while I am in the mood for clearing things out.

After that I may have a walk or do some gardening until it gets too hot to be outdoors.

David

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

In some ways fish is more of an issue in China and SE Asia for people that prefer not to eat fish and seafood. In Japan there tends to be more of a distinction between fish dishes and none-fish dishes. In China and especially SE Asia it is quite common for fish and seafood to be used as a flavour in meat and vegetable dishes. And in some cases not just a mild part of a more complex flavour, fish sauce in Vietnam can reach the point of almost being weaponized with its potency and some pork belly dishes in China are much more akin to eating fish because of the use of fish sauce. In Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore a standard condiment served with many dishes is sambal, a chilli sauce made using fermented shrimp paste, it's one of those flavours which can be an acquired taste but is excellent when well done. You do find it to a degree in Japan but not to the same extent as China and SE Asia.

I wonder what they would make of garum?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Tony_S said:

At the practice in Sussex where my nephew is a GP he is the only male working there. 

Our practice currently has 8 ("f") GPs - largely part-time, I hear.

I have only been there for the usual jabs, in recent years, so I have no comment to offer on service other than they were friendly and organised, etc. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Temperature hit 28C. in my bedroom last night but despite that I went out like a light as soon as my head touched the pillow. Six hours solid sleep and I feel bright eyed and bushy tailed. No cooked breakfast this morning, just a slice or two of bread and honey.

• Like 17