The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

33 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Afternoon Awl,

In excess of a Deltic has been spent.

Left knee and right ankle are not happy at wandering the mean streets of GY.

Some how GY has managed to close the main public toilets due to a dangerous medieval wall, but then gone ahead  at rebuilding those in the shopping centre.

Non food included 7 books, 4 of which are about parallel bits of metal, total cost less than £20.. 

New spade was obtained.

SWMBO got some premade fancy wool, at end of line prices and a large book on weaving that cost... £1.

Ben got a new toy, which he's currently beating up and a very large bag of chews.

For the first time in many years we wandered into a place that is a food products store and a country.. I thought we had wandered into the Bears pantry. Vast quantities of pizza, chips and other pre prepared frozen chemicals. The only thing that reassured me an angry Bear wouldn't become protective, was a lack of LDC. We found no need to visit there again, as few items suited our normal purchasing requirements. 

According to the local seaweed inspector site we've finally reached the magic 20C, it certainly is humid out there.

100M of thin Dyneema string has this minute arrived for SWMBO to attach various bits of loom together.

And for your delectation this year's Official 3 River Race Video.

Absolutely fantastic Q and you must be very proud and lucky to be part of it.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, TheQ said:

And for your delectation this year's Official 3 River Race Video.

Looks like great fun @The Q!

I haven't sailed since the school days in a "Carpy Coypu" and an Enterprise.   Where did that 50 years go!

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As planned I rang the dentist while I was having coffee, the recorded message had just ended when the receptionist answered the phone, I have an appointment for July 18th which is exactly 3 months after my previous one so I am very pleased.  I have three monthly appointments as I have a gum and tooth problem.

I spent a lot of the day doing jobs in the garden, I've made a space for the chrysanthemums to go in later this week and had a good tidy up.  I have put more things from the house and garage in the bin to go tomorrow.  I may add some more later on.

I've spent part of the afternoon chatting with several neighbours over a glass of wine in a garden just along the road, which was very pleasant.

Next will be tea then later on I may have a walk when the sun is less bright - or I may just sit and read.

David

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Good Monday...

Weekend review;

Quiet Friday evening.

Saturday, busy with some to-do, shopping for items to contribute to the evening party we were attending, avoiding a downpour, much needed rain, an inch in the gauge.

Evening party was "excellent", we stayed much longer than we expected and had some engaging conversations with some new folks as well as old friends.

Sunday, slept in (too much party last night!?!??!). Jemma was due to drop Whitney off but has a serious sinus issue so called in sick. Spent part of the day just relaxing and enjoying the extremely pleasant weather, lower temperatures and clean air - yay! Late afternoon we went to the "soft opening" of our friends kids' latest restaurant location. Lots of folks there, good showing and looks like they've picked a prime location for the expansion of their venture. Happy to support them.

Yesterday weather was still pleasant, and this Am more of the same, 11c first thing, partly cloudy and air quality good. Later a high of only 23c, no precipitation.

Carry on.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, 45156 said:

she's waited three weeks to see a particular GP  she could have seen another in three days, but not a lady). 

At the practice in Sussex where my nephew is a GP he is the only male working there. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Absolutely fantastic Q and you must be very proud and lucky to be part of it.

I'm very proud of the race, and that my club organises it. Lucky ? We could always do with more volunteers 😉

My part is relatively minor, those that do the organisation deserve the praise.

111  boats this year, minimum 2 crew some have half a dozen

10 guardships of a minimum of 4 people on each, each having a first aid trained person, a rescue boat trained crew. They organise first aid courses for the guardship crews too. The club's trains rescue boat crews anyway. https://www.horning-sailing.club/about-training/

Galley crew,

From 08:00 on the Saturday, to 14:00 on the Sunday, over 400 breakfasts served as part of the race, when the competitors finish at what ever hour.  Plus bacon rolls , lunches, tea, coffee , for sale to  competitors, and spectators etc throughout the day.

Line crew ,,

Race officer, Radio Officer, Computer operator, Radio Operator, and several back up people for the event.

The line crew monitor, do the starting, time keeping , and finishing. They do they man the radio at base , organise the radios for each guardship, keep track of competitors and produce this. 

2023-RACEMATRIX.pdf 

if a competitor goes missing the nearest guardship sends out their rescue boat to find them. Two boats this year, they separately parked up and went to a pub without telling a guardship or contacting the line crew... They won't be allowed to enter again, and it's emphasised in the Rules.

Race organisers: who organise the above plus...

Who take entries from January to the end of April, send out the paperwork, organise with the Norfolk Broads Sailing Association that the weekend is kept clear of other major events, and the other clubs on the route aren't sailing.

They produce for  the race for each guardship, time sheets, radio lists, procedure sheets for incidents, provide the buoys, lights, banners, rescue boats .

Organise the guardships that need to be donated by the boat yards particularly Martham boat yard https://www.marthamboats.com/ who's classic boats are immaculate, I can recommend them.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Looks like great fun @The Q!

I haven't sailed since the school days in a "Carpy Coypu" and an Enterprise.   Where did that 50 years go!

We knew them as "P0xy Coypu's" 🤣

It was all rather good fun, though the walk from the School to the Sailing Base was a long one - and the walk half-way back to get the bus home was a real bind, especially if you'd been swimming and all your kit was soaked (and therefore bluddy heavy).

Actually it's a miracle the Base never banned us after A Certain Bear set off "some sugar stuff**" in the Changing Rooms - which was directly below the Instructor's Office; they got rather concerned when they saw clouds of smoke billowing past their windows....

Fortunately it just resulted in an almighty bo11okin', with no further action.

(**Had they know that the "sugar stuff" was mixed with Sodium Chlorate they might've been a tad less understanding......).

In other news......

All the skirting for the Hallway now cut; the next stage will be sanding then temporarily fitting to the walls prior to painting.  I had "a bit of a result" cos' the 3m length of skirting was enough - but only just; there's less than 5" left over.

In other, other news.....

I see that one of the people that Bozo has dished out a Gong to is......his Hairdresser!!  🤣

BG

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

... Some how GY has managed to close the main public toilets due to a dangerous medieval wall, but then gone ahead  at rebuilding those in the shopping centre.... 

Perhaps https://www.toiletmap.org.uk/loos/049962178fabb234464bbc74 might be worth adding to a 'favourites'/bookmarks page? 

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

We knew them as "P0xy Coypu's" 🤣

It was all rather good fun, though the walk from the School to the Sailing Base was a long one - and the walk half-way back to get the bus home was a real bind, especially if you'd been swimming and all your kit was soaked (and therefore bluddy heavy).

Actually it's a miracle the Base never banned us after A Certain Bear set off "some sugar stuff**" in the Changing Rooms - which was directly below the Instructor's Office; they got rather concerned when they saw clouds of smoke billowing past their windows....

Actually, by some quirk of fate, I've got a feeling we may have sailed in the same Carpy Coypus.   I can't remember exactly where we used to go but I'm fairly sure it was over your neck of the woods somewhere.    They would have been even more damaged by the time you got to them (you being a mere whipper-snapper )!

Just to remind you 😜

A floating, glass fibre bath tub if I recall.

a22a_orig.jpg

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Slightly more comfortable here this evening. Bike computer was clocking 100F in the sun this afternoon. Got a horrible noise from the chainstays area at the back end, suspect a duff bearing so examination booked in. 

Decided against continuing on to the cricket which was fortunate as the match was abandoned and we would have faced an hour ride back in torrential rain.

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

Investigations into the monstrous Beeza oil leak have cast doubt on it emanating from the magdrive orifice after all.

For those into Beezas and the like, These at parked Crewe Heritage Centre on Saturday Afternoon. A 1967 model althought I suspect it may have been returned from overseas as it is shown as first registered in the UK in 1990. This was a B44 series 441cc machine which I think was originally sold in the UK as the Victor? but later came into line with the US export models as the Shooting Star.

DSC01762(crop).JPG.cc746642b7c1d6503b377f08cd794836.JPG

The Triumph T120 Bonneville on the right is one of the 'Spirit of 59' repro versions made about 5 years ago IIRC.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

(**Had they know that the "sugar stuff" was mixed with Sodium Chlorate they might've been a tad less understanding......).

We had lots of enjoyment from mixing Iodine with ammonium hydroxide. The result is perfectly stable when in solution but when it dries out will explode if a fly lands on it.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

if a fly lands on it.

One of the chemistry teachers left some drying out in a fume cupboard over the weekend. Something must have triggered it and the bang damaged something else which made a mess. The lab technician was “not amused”. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Tony_S said:

which made a mess. The lab technician was “not amused”. 

Though not as much mess as the time the thermostat on a heater failed leaving the heater on all weekend in a tank containing African clawed toads. By the time the fuse blew it it was toad soup.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

I'm very proud of the race, and that my club organises it. Lucky ? We could always do with more volunteers 😉

My part is relatively minor, those that do the organisation deserve the praise.

111  boats this year, minimum 2 crew some have half a dozen

10 guardships of a minimum of 4 people on each, each having a first aid trained person, a rescue boat trained crew. They organise first aid courses for the guardship crews too. The club's trains rescue boat crews anyway. https://www.horning-sailing.club/about-training/

Galley crew,

From 08:00 on the Saturday, to 14:00 on the Sunday, over 400 breakfasts served as part of the race, when the competitors finish at what ever hour.  Plus bacon rolls , lunches, tea, coffee , for sale to  competitors, and spectators etc throughout the day.

Line crew ,,

Race officer, Radio Officer, Computer operator, Radio Operator, and several back up people for the event.

The line crew monitor, do the starting, time keeping , and finishing. They do they man the radio at base , organise the radios for each guardship, keep track of competitors and produce this. 

2023-RACEMATRIX.pdf 140.02 kB · 2 downloads  

if a competitor goes missing the nearest guardship sends out their rescue boat to find them. Two boats this year, they separately parked up and went to a pub without telling a guardship or contacting the line crew... They won't be allowed to enter again, and it's emphasised in the Rules.

Race organisers: who organise the above plus...

Who take entries from January to the end of April, send out the paperwork, organise with the Norfolk Broads Sailing Association that the weekend is kept clear of other major events, and the other clubs on the route aren't sailing.

They produce for  the race for each guardship, time sheets, radio lists, procedure sheets for incidents, provide the buoys, lights, banners, rescue boats .

Organise the guardships that need to be donated by the boat yards particularly Martham boat yard https://www.marthamboats.com/ who's classic boats are immaculate, I can recommend them.

Well done to them all but your part of the team and if you weren't there they'd have to get someone else to fill your wellies/shoes/flip flops so take your bow with the rest of them.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Today spent two hours in a coffee pod for a support session – alone – no students turned up. Not as if the coffee’s anything to write home about, either. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/06/12/zoe-up-more-uncivil-war-in-the-tory-party/

Gone are the days when you contacted someone to apologise for being late or having to cancelled. Perhaps its me but I think manners are the difference between us and animals.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Round of applause 1