The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

I’m up a lot earlier than usual so that I can get to my appointment in plenty of time AND have my breakfast before leaving home, as I don’t like leaving the house on an empty stomach. Last night’s promised rain never appeared, although we did hear the occasional rumble of thunder. I had a very poor night’s sleep due to the heat, so I’m hoping I don’t fall asleep in the CT scanning machine this morning. 

Back later. 

Brian

Good luck with staying awake Brian.. I always fall asleep if I am in a scanner. I usualy received a sharp "wake up.. Time for some heart accelerant" followed by "breath in, breath out and... hold............breathe normally" 

Baz 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 minute ago, Barry O said:

I always fall asleep if I am in a scanner.

I don't mind CT machines. I'm not a fan of MRI machines - they are claustrophobic with too much banging clanging and grinding noises in very close proximity.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

No rain here although we had a sky with a peculiar colour to it and "the Baz umpire thunder early warning system" did detect copious static electricity in the air.

It's just blue skies now.

Interview invites have been sent, I await somecreplies. One has already said he can't make this week as he has gone to France on holiday(he gave me rhe date and time!)

Time to get myself going as I have other "tasks" to complete including drinking my mugatea!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Morning All from the Land of The Rising Sun.

I’m now having breakfast (huge breakfast bar) On the western selection they had something @polybear would head straight for (can you guess what is?)

IMG_1914.jpeg.8213d20724f64d5d15bb26ebc041ecb5.jpeg

Hmmm, Curried Sprouts......Bear's favourite.....🤣  (I'd give it a taste - subject to closer inspection first though.....)

Whatever's in Dish 2 looks dodgy - no thanks.

Chips?  Seen better, but a Bear can live on 'em (and often does....)

Snagger n' Bacon.  What have they done - boiled them?  Looks dubious from here.

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I ended up having a Japanese breakfast

IMG_1916.jpeg.03463f0baaff407a9458fefdd564b425.jpegMuch, much better…

That's Brekkies?  Good job this Bear wasn't born in Japan - I would've starved....

Bear here...

Oh yes, danglin'.....first top coat on hall architrave.  Then I'll make a start on cutting the hallway skirting, though won't be able to do all of it cos' some parts need the architrave in place in order to measure lengths accurately.

In other news....

Hey, Puppers @PupCam - it looks like someone from a certain HR Dept. is now working in Poo Land:

"He says experienced air force officers are still paid their pre-war contract salary of up to 90,000 roubles (£865, $1090). This is while new recruits are being tempted into the army with 204,000 roubles (£1960,$2465) as part of an official and publicly advertised campaign."

Sound familiar?

Here's the full story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65867990

And finally....

No idea who comes up with this cr@p:

"With so many people looking to decrease their carbon footprint and live more sustainably, electric car stations make a clever, future-proof investment. With the average cost of a charging point coming in at £800, your home’s value could increase by a staggering £31,878. Now that's a return to really get excited about."   (From Photo 10)

Here's the story:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/9-renovations-that-are-a-complete-waste-of-money-and-9-that-add-value/ss-AA1cmEE4?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e157cb4fad204628b44c2cc3de397847&ei=47#image=10

Bear gone.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold

A sunny morning with a bit of cloud but the forecast says dry.  About 18C at the moment, which is the forecast maximum for the coast, a sea breeze must be expected.  The house is cleaned, half the washing is done - but it will be dried inside as that helps my hay fever, clothes dried outside are full of pollen when I put them away and thne give me hay fever when I wear them - sheets and pillow cases are the worst offenders..

I need to sort some more things out to bin and prepare the things to go to the local refugees during the day.  I'm not yet sure what else, I don't feel like going far. 

I do need to ring the dentist as I've had a reminder text, but it is only 2 months since I had my last appointment so I will not make it for earlier than mid July.  My NHS dentist is quite well organised.

David

• Like 17

I think that the bear would not enjoy Japan: they do things in such an unusual way, that he would be shocked to his core and probably take the first plane home that he could.

Apart from an almost complete absence of chips, LDC and pizza (although in those places that do see lots of tourists, there are Japanese versions of the above available. And be in Japanese. They are either very weird versions and/or😊are very Japanese versions [such as Wasabi KitKats]), the cuisine in Japan is centred around regional, seasonal, fresh, and healthy.

Culinary matters aside, today’s guided tour of Tokyo (to a spot right on the border with the next prefecture) involved much use of the Tokyo area railway network. To say it is convoluted, complicated yet, highly functional and efficient would be very much an understatement. This sheer volume of railway traffic and the huge variety of railway rolling stock would probably send both @Gwiwer and @jamie92208 into a bit of a tizzy.

I might post some rolling stock photos later….

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here...

Danglin' done.  Tick

Tea drunk.  Tick

Right, where's the skirting.....

BG

Too much ticking.

I'm waiting for the

BANG!!!!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

Plumbers been and gone, we are now leakless, but I have been told I'm not building a railway down there like Dennis Parker has done on the video, I don't think I can bend that well, it's why I vacated the loft lol.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning  (pre-munch) All!

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I don't mind CT machines. I'm not a fan of MRI machines - they are claustrophobic with too much banging clanging and grinding noises in very close proximity.

Trouble with CT scanners after you've had a few scans is the radiation dosage ........

Can't say either are "enjoyable"* but it's the information that comes out of them of course that is important.      In my case there's a lot of faffing around with my electronics pre & post but hey-ho.    As I've mentioned to various care providers; I've a vested interest in the outcome and I and they can do whatever is necessary!

*   Internal video survey of the bladder.   Now that is uncomfortable!

4 hours ago, polybear said:

In other news....

Hey, Puppers @PupCam - it looks like someone from a certain HR Dept. is now working in Poo Land:

"He says experienced air force officers are still paid their pre-war contract salary of up to 90,000 roubles (£865, $1090). This is while new recruits are being tempted into the army with 204,000 roubles (£1960,$2465) as part of an official and publicly advertised campaign."

Sound familiar?

Here's the full story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65867990

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment 😁

In Other News

Investigations into the monstrous Beeza oil leak have cast doubt on it emanating from the magdrive orifice after all.  My carefully crafted, funny shaped,  nylon seal was sitting perfectly in place with no signs of distress or wear from the drive gear that runs through/in it.   Most importantly, it and the surrounding casting were not dripping in oil as expected.    So, I decided to build up a pad of kitchen roll to wedge in the gap between the timing case and the platform the mag sits on beneath the orifice (this is of course outside of the engine!) and go and give the bike a thrash round the lanes.   If the pad is oil free on my return it aint coming out of that hole!

As a consequence of removing the mag gear I had to reset/check the ignition timing when I put it back together.   Even though I say so myself, the Puppers Patented Ignition Timing Assistant gadget is particularly effective when undertaking this task.    Hooray for the Arduino and other related electronics I say!

Washing machine filters have been checked for wayward objects.   Just one hair grip found and before you ask it wasn't mine 🤣

I think next on the agenda is further studies in why I can't get a NodeMCU (like an Arduino with built-in WiFi) to communicate with my DCC++ EX Base Station.  I suspect that my extremely sketch knowledge of the low level workings of WiFi may have quite a bit to do with it but, on the other hand,  my version that uses an ESP01 module works and is very simple but the NodeMCU will make for a much neater hand controller.

Oh yes and I've got to look for a suitable bit of material and fire up the Myford.   I promised a friend that I'd knock him up a collimation cap for his telescope and as we are going to see him in a week or so I'd better get my "a" into gear.   A collimation cap is very simple; it is just a 1.25" diameter plug that fits in the eyepiece hole in the focuser with a small (~2mm) hole in the very centre.     One commonly used option is to drill a hole in the very centre of a ubiquitous Kodak 35mm film canister.  The trouble with that of course is Kodak film cannisters are no longer ubiquitous!   In my case it will probably be a lump of ali bar.  I might even spay it black afterwards to make it look like a real one.

Toodle pip

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I think next on the agenda is further studies in why I can't get a NodeMCU (like an Arduino with built-in WiFi) to communicate with my DCC++ EX Base Station.  I suspect that my extremely sketch knowledge of the low level workings of WiFi may have quite a bit to do with it but, on the other hand,  my version that uses an ESP01 module works and is very simple but the NodeMCU will make for a much neater hand controller.

Bear spotted the problem straight away - the Rotary Fu-Fu valve is inverted and the Gyrowaffleplate has become detached.  Fix those** and you'll be away.....

(**A straightforward fix which involves a little box marked H&M on the front......)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12

47 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear spotted the problem straight away - the Rotary Fu-Fu valve is inverted and the Gyrowaffleplate has become detached.  Fix those** and you'll be away.....

(**A straightforward fix which involves a little box marked H&M on the front......)

That's quite typical for you Bear. Better go and have a lie down in a darken room if I were you, before you overdo yourself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, polybear said:

I do remember those far off days when indeed a small box with H&M was the best solution.   The engineering was superb but, it has to be said, of its day.  The number of those boxes still on the planet is I should imagine an amazingly high number.      I remember going to the Watford premises of H&M with father to pick up stocks of those little grey boxes for subsequent retail in his shop.  Happy days!     

Personally I think they have probably had their day now unless, of course, all you run is period Hornby Doublo and Triang small wheeled boxes that run on parallel strips of metal.   I suspect further discussion on this topic might need to move elsewhere ! 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The thing I remember from scans when I had my appendix unpleasantness was the trace stuff they inject. The scanner lady told me that as soon as she hit the button to inject it I'd think I'd wet myself, but don't worry because you won't have. Sure enough, she said get ready and I had this sudden feeling that I'd pee'd myself, I genuinely couldn't believe it when I felt my underpants after the scan and they were dry. I had several, and the experience was the same each time, very strange, can't remember whether it was CT or MRI but it was in a very claustrophobic tube.

I remember being warned of that as well as other likely side effects. I was fortunate enough to miss that one, though I got the 'warm tingles'. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

the cuisine in Japan is centred around regional, seasonal, fresh, and healthy.

Hmm.  In my experience it was:

Regional raw fish, seasonal raw fish, fresh raw fish, and allegedly, but not for me, healthy raw fish.

I'd starve.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I love Japanese curry, it's slightly sweet, they can alter the spice level to taste but the default is quite mild. Served with chicken or pork cutlet fried in panko breadcrumbs and rice it's terrific. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8