The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A belated happy birthday to ID!

I just returned from a trip to Copenhagen, as trips go it was one of the better ones (though after living here I am always disappointed at the prevalence of graffiti in Europe). I had the unusual opportunity to attend the naming ceremonies of a large cruise ship this week. It's not the sort of thing I normally do but when invited to attend by MSC I jumped, if only to experience it once.

Cruise ships have never really appealed to me but MSC put on quite a show, very impressive and displaying a huge effort and serious attention to detail. The opening ceremony opened with the Royal Danish Ballet, I have to say that I think ballet is best enjoyed on TV. The reason I say that is that on a screen they glide across the stage and it's all very graceful, when you hear the thumping from the stage it loses a lot of the magic. There was an excellent stage show with singers and acrobats and then Tony Handley of Spandau Ballet fame performed with an orchestra. I don't like Spandau Ballet and he's not the sort of artist I'd listen to at home, but on stage live he was superb, he can sing and he has a stage presence. Whether I not I like his music doesn't stop me respecting and admiring an extremely accomplished stage performance.

The ship was named by Sofia Loren, she looked very old and frail, but still turned up to cut the ribbon, apparently she is the godmother for all of the MSC cruise ships. They did one of those Oscars type photo-montage shows as she entered the stage and it was rather poignant to see the images of her heyday and then she her onstage.

The ship is only a week old, and had just arrived in Copenhagen from the builders yard in St Nazaire, so everything still had that 'new car' smell and feel. The post ceremony dinner was outstanding, the food was something else. I'm not a wine person but others assured me that MSC weren't skimping on the wine.

I had a night on the ship before flying back to Singapore. While I am not really an enthusiast of cruises, I have to say it was a tremendous experience. Some of these things are so corporate that they're devoid of any pleasure unless you're a lower echelon salesperson looking for business and 'networking' opportunities, but MSC put on a great show and created a genuinely welcoming and happy atmosphere for the day and night.

Euribia.jpg

Euribia8.jpg

Euribia11.jpg

Euribia13.jpg

Euribia14.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

but MSC put on a great show and created a genuinely welcoming and happy atmosphere for the day and night.

Surprised they didn’t do it in Geneva where MSC are based…

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

8 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning all, we await a plumber, seems we have a leak under the kitchen floor............................................I don't think turdeycurses quite covers it......................any one got a life raft?

Well he's been and gone again, we now have an entry hatch in the floor should we need it. it was really interesting to see how the house was built, we have a half height cellar...........who knew.

So the judgement is that the pipe goes through the footings and into the kitchen, but the cowboys who built the house in the 1960's put copper pipe though the bricks and cemented it. So he thinks over the years the cement has been eating the copper, then the water board messed up our village supply pressure instead of 2 bar pressure on the mains, we had 10 bar, burst pipes, bust washing machines, chaos all over the village. He thinks the over pressure caused our pipe to rupture in between the two courses of bricks and leaking into the cavity and then draining into the sewer. So he's coming back on Monday to remove the old pipe, core drill the wall, fit a tube and then replace the water supply pipe. Luckily as it was the water boards fault, it should all be free....................I like free.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Friendly/supportive 19

I've decided I have three wants for the house I currently live in:

1. Improved garden
  2. paved front garden or something else that allows our cars to park in tandem rather than one in front of the other.
  3. Solar

Items two and three are something I cannot do myself but number one I can, so I guess I need to put my big boys boots on and begin planning the back garden.

It's not level, the back is higher than the front, currently all lawn (well a bit of grass, a lot of moss and plenty of weedy friends) and it's an L shape cos next door somehow managed to get some our our garden for a drive they never use (the house was built like this).  My plan is to pave in some way the part closest to the house and the back of the garden will be re-laid with grass when it's all done.  I want to put in bushy plants to hide the back fencing and create a green wall and the whole lot will be seperated off using sleeper walls to create a fixed height wall all around the garden with planting space created where the bushes need to go.

All sounds simple, and really it is, just need to get off my ar$e and stop worrying, if I do it a bit at a time it should be less daunting - step one should be from the left side of the house to the first back fence (where next door's garden comes in) and if I lay that correctly I have my datum for the rest of the garden and I can work out from there a bit at a time.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Clearing the caravan prior to swap. Where the devil am I going to put all this stuff?

I feel your pain and you have my sympathy. Our van was involved in an accident last year when white van man crashed into the back of us in slow moving traffic. Needs new rear panel but for that to be done awning rails etc need to come off. Also want replacement shower cubicle as that was on the back left corner that took the impact. Van has finally gone to the factory for repair so that the manufacturers can maintain the warranty but they wanted everything taking out including all upholstery, mattress, carpets etc to give a completely empty van.

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

You need another caravan…

That's just what we thought as the estimated repair time was minimum 8 weeks and I know from talking to the dealer that he's still waiting for one from January. The same model but 2 years younger came up for sale not too far away from us and so we cashed in every saving, pension and investment we have to buy it so we get the opportunity to benefit from the summer holidays. Should then get most of cash back when we sell the old van (with full warranty).

• Friendly/supportive 16

47 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I've decided I have three wants for the house I currently live in:

1. Improved garden
  2. paved front garden or something else that allows our cars to park in tandem rather than one in front of the other.
  3. Solar

Items two and three are something I cannot do myself but number one I can, so I guess I need to put my big boys boots on and begin planning the back garden.

It's not level, the back is higher than the front, currently all lawn (well a bit of grass, a lot of moss and plenty of weedy friends) and it's an L shape cos next door somehow managed to get some our our garden for a drive they never use (the house was built like this).  My plan is to pave in some way the part closest to the house and the back of the garden will be re-laid with grass when it's all done.  I want to put in bushy plants to hide the back fencing and create a green wall and the whole lot will be seperated off using sleeper walls to create a fixed height wall all around the garden with planting space created where the bushes need to go.

All sounds simple, and really it is, just need to get off my ar$e and stop worrying, if I do it a bit at a time it should be less daunting - step one should be from the left side of the house to the first back fence (where next door's garden comes in) and if I lay that correctly I have my datum for the rest of the garden and I can work out from there a bit at a time.

Just be mindful where you put paving at the top of a slope, water will run off it rather than soak into the ground, you could get a minor flash flood when the rain arrives, something like gravel might be a better alternative to consider as the water can soak through it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

49 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Just be mindful where you put paving at the top of a slope, water will run off it rather than soak into the ground, you could get a minor flash flood when the rain arrives, something like gravel might be a better alternative to consider as the water can soak through it.

I would be planning in drainage, when we first moved in there was no grass and the water just ran off towards the house.  I will have to also plan to slope the surface away from the house slightly.  

But be careful not to put me off doing this, I am easily spooked but equally excited.  I did ask Mrs W perhaps that I dig out, lay the sleeper walls but then ask whoever we get to do the drive to also lay the back garden, it’s an option.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

things best consumed after 10 pints of strong lager and perhaps not even then” (marmite on toast, jellied eals, ******** pasties)

I reckon that any foreigner who can face lasagna and chips, pizza and chips or a crisp sandwich without a) fainting with shock, b) tossing their cookies or c) giggling hysterically truly has gone native…

I'll give you jellied eels and lasagna or pizza with chips but pasties (good ones anyway) and crisp butties? Food fit to be up there with the bacon butty as ambrosia.

Dave

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'll give you jellied eels and lasagna or pizza with chips but pasties (good ones anyway) and crisp butties? Food fit to be up there with the bacon butty as ambrosia.

Dave

People who eat snotty snails dismembered amphibians bit force fed ducks bits and horses are not people I would not be asking advice about what's good to eat...........................roast beef with English mustard and/or horseradish would be where I'd be heading. Never mind Cornish Pasties, have you tried a Forfar Bridie(it's a meat pie)..............?.......................no me neither and I was there yesterday lol.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Never mind Cornish Pasties, have you tried a Forfar Bridie(it's a meat pie)..............?.......................no me neither and I was there yesterday lol.

I like bridies and Scotch pies too.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening All,

Been AWOL due to various things - not least an ongoing problem with my laptop, which I asked my brother (now younger was youngest) to try to do a remote fix for me - I lost all access to the tool bar and also the start menu and the SD card wouldn't work (of course I bought a new one assuming it was faulty - NO - he was going to do it tomorrow.  Meantime, I was leaving the machine on, as I couldn't switch it off.  I was watching Brokenwood when 30747 said "the computer is making an odd noise" - checked, and a Windoze update which was scheduled for yesterday and didn't happen - I assumed because of the problems - and after the clean up, it appears that all is hunky dory again.

Brother's celebration of life is on 21st June.  We will stay at Lancaster for two nights - one before and one after, and travel to Ayrshire early on the morning of 21st.  No sad clothes to be worn.

Also had a call from Richard our log man, to say that he had a couple of cubic metres of last year's logs (100% ash) which hadn't been dry enough to sell, and which we could have first refusal on - as this year's are a mix of Ash, Oak and Cherry, we took the opportunity - but at this year's price, as he has already put his prices up.  Here's the result.

Regards to All

Stewart

IMG_1611.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I like …… and Scotch pies too.

Dave

Only when you fill the hollow top with baked beans.

Awaits incoming …

Edited by BoD
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Unloading Aveling and Porter roller "Ayesha"  of 1925

Ha!  I used to drive that engine back in the day when owned by a friend of mine! Looks like it has changed hands again since I last saw it.  Happy days.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Well racing is finally over, a fortnight of scorching weather, lap records falling all over the place, one sad death of a racer, no visitors thankfully.  Biggest delay caused by a car (Porsche) parking upside down, down a (high, steep) hillside due to running out of talent.

It hasn't rained her for almost four weeks, although reservoir levels are good.  Rumbles of thunder can be heard though, we may get a wet tonight.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

On my way:

IMG_1874.jpeg.6ff228104e76966221e169b825b2a907.jpeg

Jealous?  This Bear?  Oh yes, and some.  Have a wild one.

5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

it was really interesting to see how the house was built, we have a half height cellar...........who knew.

Ideal for one of these then - this is under a kitchen floor:

4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

The downside of Gravel is Cats like to cr@p in it.

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

But be careful not to put me off doing this, I am easily spooked but equally excited. 

Bit by bit, some planning & research then go for it.  You'll be surprised what you can do when you try - and save a packet in the process.

• Like 12