The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TheQ said:

02:33 the last boat using our mark as it's final distant turning point rounded it. About ten minutes later the last boat using the Lower bure buoy as it's last mark rounded that.

Hardly any wind though at the moment to take them back to Horning.

We are awaiting first light before packing up and head back to Horning for breakfast.

All this reminds me of the Round Anglesey Yacht Race in which Ray crewed on somebody else's boat. I turned up at the finish at Menai Bridge Pier for the ETA by 11pm. Some hours later, they turned up. They were becalmed off Anglesey not far from the home run on the Strait. I felt sorry for the officials who had been out early for the Start of the race - all part of the job, even so. I was there for the start as well, dropping Ray off, and hanging around until all the classes had sailed down the Strait out of sight. One of the best places to view the early stage of the race, is just past Caernarfon Castle, where the channel runs close to the shore. I sat there, on another occasion, with Mum and watched the traditional yachts go past. Quite exciting to watch as you see them trying to stay on course, take advantage of the wind direction, overtake or stay ahead of another as the  waters get shallower, right in front of you. 

Edited by southern42
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning* all from Estuary-Land. Not much fuss from the arthritis/sciatica this morning just a bit of stiffness. *I did start looking through and rating ER's this morning. In fact I was up at eight but quite a few things to do first.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, AndyID said:

Shona our Scottie is fourteen and really quite deaf. She does not respond to speech at all now but she does respond to clicks and hand-claps. I suspect she still has some hearing at higher frequencies. It might not be too difficult to set up a test with a computer and speakers.

It could well be the amplitude delta more than anything else. Dogs, like all canines, have very sensitive hearing and with the amount of noise carp we subject them to over time it might well cause them to filter most of it out.

I would not even call that a theory 🙂

Does that mean that dogs and husbands are related. I believe that we are often accused of filtering out carp by our spouses. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, polybear said:

It'd be interesting to see how many fellow ER'ers recognise the Character if presented with a picture.....

One could be churlish and ask why ERs wouldn’t recognise their own self-portraits…. 🤣

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

All went well this morning, I went to church, we are now back using the normal service book which makes things easier.  At the end of the service the vicar announced that he is retiring in mid October.  I'm not altogether surprised, he has been in a lot of pain for some time caused by a problem with the nerves in his right arm and like all of us he is getting older.

I was home for coffee after which I finished the Sunday e mails.  Then I had chicken in a hot (very) sauce for lunch.  Once I'd washed up I felt tired so decided to have a quick nap.  I was woken just after 4pm by a phone call so I don't know where the afternoon went.  I do have vague memories of a dream where someone was asking me if he could come in and have breakfast - it was all like illustrations from Grimm's Fairy Tales.

After that I had a cup of tea and went along the road to chat to a neighbour about cars and his recent holiday.  Next will be "proper" tea i.e. a cheese sandwich and then watch some TV.  So I've got nothing done today, but I don't think that matters any more.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

PUB was there on her very well "patinated"  Vincent.   Apparently it has done 340,000 miles with 250000 of those whilst in her ownership!

A'noon.

I met the self same person some many years ago, unbeknowingly.  She was a he then, which I didn't know either, until informed on this very forum, by I think @Judge Dread, he being of the Vincent chaps type. That 'PUB' Vinnie certainly is a bit rough around the edges but it sure has done some miles.  Her column in RC is always very interesting, and one of my favourite reads in the mag.

Motorcycling here has been in the form of watching many nutters race about the place, lap records falling in the scorchio sun again - plus scorchio pre-guessed all week by the seaweed twirlers - again!  We'll pay for all this sun. at some point.  Probably when Winslow Boy's charabanc tour arrives.

Our condolences, somewhat belated, to Stuart.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Been a beautiful day in Copenhagen.

I was impressed with the hotel, my flight landed at 07:10, so I went to the hotel to dump my case and go out for the day and the reception said the room was ready so I could go straight to the room. No early check-in fee. That was nice as most hotels I use will apply an early check-in fee regardless of whether or not the room is sitting empty ready for the next guest. For a lot of hotels it must be a nice little supplementary revenue stream as lots of people land early and see paying an early occupancy charge as money well spent. Usually I just pay the fee, the reason I didn't ask today was it was such a nice day and I brought the camera with me.

• Like 18

Back from Crewe.

journey up caught traffic around raodworks on the A50 and M6, journey back diverted to Lichfield to take pix of the west fromnt of the cathedral as the light was in the right direction.

Wallet much lighter. Bits bought.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I recognise that place of puppers visit.. a few yards from puppers camera in a small upstairs office was the headquarters of the former maintenance company for Tescos.

Afternoon Awl,

Only had an hours sleep,

I'll give a report of the race another time I'm too knackered just now.

Generally not doing a lot, unloaded loom from trailer, found woodworm, old, dead, but even so tomorrow it will be coated in wood some killer.

The last owner had the loom in an upstairs room so it wasn't them , but a previous owner had it somewhere damp so what in effect are the feet are holey. It's common to put looms in garages....

I'll sand it all first to take off the surface , then cut out damage as required, replace it with good wood (the original is pine)  then coat the lot with the killer. 

The bottom six inches of the loom will then painted,  providing better protection and hiding repairs.

The rest of the woodwork will be cleaned and polished.

Some of the shelving in the mobile home has been removed to make space for the loom. It will fit quite nicely.

Much more research has been attempted on this loom, but it's not a common one, it's an Anders Lervad model 3 of 1951 to 1959, little info has been found. The company disappeared in the 1980s

It should have a built in stool but that's missing, so I suspect it's legs got woodworm.

It should have 6 or 8 shafts but only has four so it's been simplified.

The rear roller should have a remote lock of the cog by lever and wire, but that's been bodged with a bit of ally.

Over all it will be restored as a 4 shaft loom, once up and running, it may be upgraded back to a 6 or 8 shaft loom if SWMBO requires.

It being in a fairly dark corner. I'm intending to add some led strip hidden behind the structure.

It does have 5 different heddles, they aren't cheap, they are £100- £200 each. Intriguingly one is marked with the former name of SWMBOs weaving group. 

As you may guess all the above is taking precedence over tasks..

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Afternoon All!

Well the trip to Stony Stratford was completed without incident if you exclude the small puddle (not drip) of oil that formed underneath the  Beeza when parked.    I suspect the main culprit is the aperture where the magneto drive emerges from the timing case.   It will need a good coat of looking at and a Plan D.

Has Puppers not heard of Bath Sealant??  🤣

3 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Been a beautiful day in Copenhagen.

I was impressed with the hotel, my flight landed at 07:10, so I went to the hotel to dump my case and go out for the day and the reception said the room was ready so I could go straight to the room. No early check-in fee. That was nice as most hotels I use will apply an early check-in fee regardless of whether or not the room is sitting empty ready for the next guest. For a lot of hotels it must be a nice little supplementary revenue stream as lots of people land early and see paying an early occupancy charge as money well spent. Usually I just pay the fee, the reason I didn't ask today was it was such a nice day and I brought the camera with me.

There's something rather pleasing about visiting far-flung places (especially the expensive ones) and getting someone else to pick up the tab....

One of the few (very, very few.....) things I miss about The Great Empire.

BH.....

A morning of danglin' on a roller, as promised; the lower wall sections on the stairs and hallway have now received their first coat of paint.

After din dins (which included 2 of yer 5 a day** - along with roast spuds, grilled onion, gammon steak & pepper sauce - pretty hi-tech for this Bear) there was a danglin' session involving a brush; the skirting and dado rail sections for the landing are now fully painted and are due to be fitted tomorrow.

(**Bear has hit the magic 5 of 5 a day today - what do I win?)

In other news....

This may be of interest to some:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/banks-face-500million-bill-after-landmark-high-court-ruling-on-timeshares/ar-AA1bS18I?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=11fb1d48754d4ce0a07b30f962dcd031&ei=30

BG

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Another day of doing very little but still taking all day. Dinner to get ready, steak & ale pie and chips plus whatever green veg I can find in the fridge.

• Like 16

15 hours ago, AndyID said:

I ordered a replacement phone ... from the big A.

A decent thing about "smiles from A→Z" is that their drivers usually post a photograph of the delivered item on the porch. Yesterday's delivery ("brown") doesn't do that - just the statement of "delivered on porch".

I don't really have a "porch" per se. It's more of a covered extension of the front path.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Sunday Funnies........

image.png.b51340d69aa20a16ec8b721698da4078.png

image.png.1c60cf0233fd56e07cf7087bdec4fefe.png

image.png.c7086db6bff76c0c18bec666e5bb2255.png

image.png.e30de1bcce85fa214e11bc1526add4c2.png

image.png.d86649a98eb1f44ddfc7b7d7a85b76e2.png

image.png.5dee090a9d69ad553758693db0b519b4.png

image.png.a8eda962426ec045a21520af07f9c603.png

image.png.860e0d397be6e53eddc63e5b28d4e3f3.png

image.png.b07073f4a8fb1aa7577e3c63f882fa06.png

image.png.0f3a8c47a1adf3f7baecd29d926dbd76.png

image.png.f059c38a52b6e4caee910ac787a75faa.png

image.png.4c76d8156217be482018067762943c16.png

image.png.f057124e57ae1aaff8aa70ae00c7aeb8.png

image.png.c9069be3ce847a41bd893e8771752122.png

A woman went to the doctor's office where she was seen by one of the younger doctors. After about four minutes in the examination room, she burst out screaming as she ran down the hall. An older doctor stopped her and asked what the problem was, and she told him her story.
After listening, he had her sit down and relax in another room. The older doctor marched down the hallway back to where the young doctor was writing on his clipboard.
"What's the matter with you?" the older doctor demanded.
"Mrs. Terry is 61 years old, has four grown children and seven grandchildren and you told her she was pregnant?"
The younger doctor continued writing, and without looking up and said,
"Does she still have the hiccups?"

Peter was talking to his friend Bob.
"I had it all Bob ... money... a beautiful house... two fast cars ... and the love of a beautiful woman."
"Then pow! It was all gone!"
"What happened?" asked Bob?
"My wife found out about the beautiful woman!"

A grandmother was telling her little granddaughter what her own childhood was like.
"We used to skate outside on a pond. I had a swing made from a tire; it hung from a tree in our back garden. We rode our pony. We picked wild strawberries in the woods."
The little girl was wide-eyed, taking this all in.
At last she said, "I really wish I'd known you sooner!"

I had to go back to see my doctor today.
I said, I applied the pile cream that you gave me this morning and I got a very nasty reaction.
Where exactly did you apply it? he asked.
I said, On the bus.

A young girl comes home from a date looking rather sad.
Her mother asks her what’s wrong.
She says, “Harry proposed to me an hour ago.”
Her mother asks, “Why are you so sad then?”
The girl replies, “Because, he also told me he was an atheist. Mom, he doesn’t even believe there’s a Hell.”
Her mother says, “Marry him anyway. Between the two of us, we’ll show him how wrong he is.

Bill, a gentleman of a sprightly 89 years of age, was stopped by police around 2 a.m. and was asked where he was going at that time of night.
Ron replied, "I'm on my way to a lecture about alcohol abuse and the effects it has on the human body, as well as smoking and staying out late."
The officer asked, "Really? Who's giving that lecture at this time of night?"
Ron replied, "That would be my wife."

Why do people always remember where they were when someone famous was killed?
Do they feel perhaps they'll need an alibi?

• Like 9
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Found some broccoli in the fridge to go with the steak and ale pie and chips, very nice it was too. 

36 minutes ago, polybear said:

In other news.....

Hoping that @grandadbob is OK ................

Last rated someone on the 21st of May, two weeks ago.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Bear here........

Up at silly o'clock (0520).  Poo.

Danglin' Day.  Again.  Still, it's danglin' on a roller, which is far better than on a brush (the paint is water based for a start, so none of that "cleaning brushes in multiple jars of white spirit" PITA).

After that it's MIUABGAD.

Bear still hasn't done anything about booking any hols this year - at this rate it'll be December and I'll be thinking "Turdycurses".

Right, must go.....need a wee.

BG

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

A day of form filling, setting up interviews and general cricket admin tasks is looming. PAH!

I have a teensy weeny electrical short on the parallel strips of metal in the loft to fix.. it may be a microswitch has gone belly up.. PAH!

GDB is just having a break from ERs at the moment.

Time to go and crank up the laptop.

Have a good day!

Baz

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Lurker said:

The local online rag, the NewsShopper has an article about how you can see the Flying Scotsman in London this summer for its centenary; the reporter’s name is Emilia Kettle!

When I say "like" I mean the reporters name, not that there's an opportunity to view The Flying Moneypit.  I'd only be excited at that prospect if it were to be publicly sectioned and plinthed...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2