The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

15 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The old valve radiogram had knurled rubber tuning dials with multiple bands - all amplitude modulated though. By the time of transistors most of them were in the 'normal' AM broadcast and later FM bands.

I could tune the television audio using the FM band tuner on my radio cassette player in the 1970s.

Was the music for many TAA commercials in the 1970s.

Go on I dare you. There's bunches of them. This is a goodie.

I'm still cringing.

From that i'm assuming that in 1971 they often used balloons and many people missed their flight as the air hostess just waved at them tauntingly.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Funny 5

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

From that i'm assuming that in 1971 they often used balloons and many people missed their flight and the air hostess just waved at them tauntingly.

My first flight was on a TAA 727 - mid-1970s.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

30 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Didn't transistor radios have SW/MW/LW settings here up until the 70's or so?  I do recall a way more younger version of me switching my mums Radio In The  Kitchen between bands to see what was out there.  There seemed to regular morse  code on one of the bands, and air traffic control from the nearby airfield on another one.

Both of which were waaaaaay  more interesting than the 70's schmalzy radio station she always had it tuned on. That  was like the Goodies pirate radio if you swapped out "Walk In The Black Forest" with "LA INternational Airport" "Up Up And Away IN My Beautiful Balloon"" Save All Your  Kisses For Me", as well as "A Walk In The Black Forest"  and all the similar horrendous dross of the time.    (shivers...)

So you didn't get Radio Luxembourg then?

• Funny 15

Just now, AndyID said:

So you didn't get Radio Luxembourg then?

They'd need a really, really big transmitter and a lot of ionosphere bounce to get to the antipodes. Better luck tuning them in on the moon than Sydneyside.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

They'd need a really, really big transmitter and a lot of ionosphere bounce to get to the antipodes. Better luck tuning them in on the moon than Sydneyside.

Well I could get it in Scotland 😀

• Like 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Barry O said:

She does have a Rackett.

@southern42  her indoors suggests looking in the Early Music Shop at flutes which may help. Otherwise you need to find a "keyed" instrument for your enjoyment of playing.

Baz

Thanks Baz, though I probably have too many flutes one of which is the Sweetheart maple Renaissance D flute* which I use to play William Byrd's Cradle Song (one of my Lullabys).

* See top of the list at https://aswltd.com/sweet.htm

Out of interest, I note the Early Music Shop has a Sweetheart D Rosewood flute for £655. Since someone else sells the small Sweetheart D flute at £220, I am guessing this one will be of the longer variety such as the walking stick flute, currently made in maple, at 650$.

Bottom pf page at: https://earlymusicshop.com/collections/instruments/products/sweetheart-folk-flute-rosewood-d

Some flutes...

IMG_1644.jpeg.c00fc595a6b1f1c9b4b6f1eacc51f57c.jpeg

From the top: Sweetheart Renaissance D flute, Rosewood Folk D Fife, Dixon polymer D Piccolo, Feadóg Brass D Whistle. Add to that the Yamaha C fife and my two bamboo flutes....plus two keyed silver C flutes, one bought to replace (upgrade) the other. "One day," "soon," I will take up playing it again. 

🤔

Er....some time later....

I have got out my Renaissance flute folder...and despite poor memory I have spent an enjoyable session fumbling my way through these (in no particular order):

Byrd: Cradle Song

Anon: Summer is icumen in

Turlough O'Carolan: Si Bheag Si Mhor

Michael Praetorius: La Volta

Vivaldi: Largo, Winter, The Four Seasons

Celtic Air: Down by the Sally Gardens

Irish Traditional: Brian Boru's March

Reel: The Cup O' Tea - well, with a name like mine, what do you expect!

Polly

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening from Estuary-Land. Spent the afternoon in a committee meeting and have just caught up on ER's. Called in to Tess Coes for bread, milk and eggs, now I feel knackered.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, polybear said:

And finally.....

Bear's bag of little triangular choccies finally bit the dust yesterday.  Poo.

Puppers has just two little rectangular choccies remaining 😭

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Didn't transistor radios have SW/MW/LW settings here up until the 70's or so?  I do recall a way more younger version of me switching my mums Radio In The  Kitchen between bands to see what was out there.  There seemed to regular morse  code on one of the bands, and air traffic control from the nearby airfield on another one.

Both of which were waaaaaay  more interesting than the 70's schmalzy radio station she always had it tuned on. That  was like the Goodies pirate radio if you swapped out "Walk In The Black Forest" with "LA INternational Airport" "Up Up And Away IN My Beautiful Balloon"" Save All Your  Kisses For Me", as well as "A Walk In The Black Forest"  and all the similar horrendous dross of the time.    (shivers...)

In UK terms, LW was important for the Shipping Forecast on Radio 4 (1500 metres), plus of course The Archers and the Today programme.  It was alleged that the British nuclear submarine deterrent was based on being able to receive R4 longwave.  In the absence of direct instruction, if R4 was missing from the airwaves after a certain period of time, the Captain was entitled to open his safe and deal out worldwide  Merry Hell...

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

R4 was missing from the airwaves after a certain period of time, the Captain was entitled to open his safe and deal out worldwide  Merry Hell...

Good job that the valves at Droitwich are so long lasting then…

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

@Combe Martin adds to the point that MS move things around,

@Gwiwer well remember the problems listening to 208 Luxemberg. - required sitting right next to the radio.  Come to that some other reception was ot so good - what came to mind was the very last episode of  -Dick Barton Special Agent - the next week was something called 'The Archers' so must be a year or two ago,

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

In the 70s and 80s, Test Match Special was on Radio 3 MW, with the regular programmes continuing on Radio 3 FM. By the early 90s, it had moved to Radio 4 LW; living in Paris at the time, we could listen to the cricket as well as Today. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Talk of radios takes me back to my old Sony SW7600 AM/FM/short wave radio, at one time that model was almost a de-facto global standard purchase for seafarers and people working in remote places. I wish I kept it rather than disposing of it when I no longer needed it, good examples still seem to sell quite well. Short wave reception and sound quality was poor (to be polite) even with a decent antenna but it made the difference between being able to listen to news and radio at sea or being isolated. At that time the BBC World Service was really good and respected around the world, they offered a service tailored to the audience, now I'm not sure I know anyone who listens to it. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2