The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The chips I like  are the Tess Coes chunky chips, they come with the skins on which tastes delicious. Not done a lot today but at least the arthritis is quiet.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 10

Vxxxxx

47 minutes ago, polybear said:

Spurred on by recent posts (from @iL Dottore, @Gwiwer and others) featuring various gastronomic exploits I decided that it was time that Bear raised the stakes somewhat. 

OK, I’ll play along…

lt starts off as a Goodfellas Stonebaked Thin Garlic Bread (Pizza)** which is then spread with Tomato Puree, topped with half a tin of chopped Tomatoes then grated Mozzarella Cheese.  Then there's some sliced onion, pieces of Gorgonzola Cheese and an egg in the middle.  Finish off with some Chilli Oil then cook for about 15 minutes in a fan oven at 190C;

OK, if the Goodfellas “pizza” is just a basic pizza base.

So far, so good.

; the curly fries (190C for about 22m) go on after the pizza is cooked.

Zéro point pour l'ours!

So close and yet so far… (and you were doing so well)

Presumably The Bear has heard about green vegetables and salads?

Michelin Stars here I come.......

Err, probably not for a while… say a few millennia…

Edited by iL Dottore
Added text
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

54 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have had all kinds of oven chips but I don’t honestly ever recall having a curly fry. Apart from the shape do they have any other special characteristics?

Much maligned is the Curly Fry, a favourite of mine with a fresh caught(by me) grilled flat fish, flounder, plaice or occasionally a turbot with a bit of bread and a tin of cider, better than any tyre manufacturers choice.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, tigerburnie said:

better than any tyre manufacturers choice.

I have just had 4 Michelin tyres fitted. They are very good but I don’t think I will be eating out at any of their food recommendations!

• Like 13
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The basic forms here:

• Steak fries (thick cut, think British chips)
  • Curly fries
  • Waffle cut fries
  • Matchstick / frites (think fast food with a Scottish name)
  • Tater tots (left overs from the processing plant formed, approximately, into little cylinders - don't knock them 'til you've tried them)
  • Nasty extruded crinkle 'cut'

Do you have battered fries/chips? In the Black Country they have orange coloured chips. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As they are thinner than 'traditional' British chips they are usually crispier.

The basic forms here:

• Steak fries (thick cut, think British chips)
  • Curly fries
  • Waffle cut fries
  • Matchstick / frites (think fast food with a Scottish name)
  • Tater tots (left overs from the processing plant formed, approximately, into little cylinders - don't knock them 'til you've tried them)
  • Nasty extruded crinkle 'cut'
  • Kettle chips (thick crisps)*

* Not oven chips

There are probably more.

All the above come under the umbrella of “ultra processed” foods which are definitely not good for you - as a 10 years study in 10000 (yep, ten thousand) adults has shown (10,000 over 10 years is certainly a robust study) as is referred to here (https://thewell.northwell.edu/healthy-living-fitness/impact-of-ultra-processed-food-on-brain#:~:text=But what are ultra-processed,boxed cereals%2C and salad dressings.) and here’s the original paper from JAMA Neurology - so definitely serious, reputable and peer-reviewed* (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2799140)

What’s really scary about these data is the finding that <if just 20% of your calories are coming from ultra-processed foods, you have a higher risk of dementia. That’s really not a huge number of calories. It’s equivalent to about 20 potato chips or 30 french fries.> (mind you, this may explain a lot about a lot of things…)

Of course the damn things are tasty, food production companies spend a lot of money employing food technology scientists and behavioural psychologists  and utilise the most sophisticated chemicals and food processing to make their products incredibly tasty and damn near addictive.

That 99p bag of frozen chips doesn’t seem like a good bargain after all…

* peer review is where other experienced and renowned experts in the field get out the rubber truncheons, turn on the bright lights and give the data a good going over “until it confesses” and if the data tells a different story to what the paper’s author(s) claim - the submitted paper is taken out and shot (i.e. rejected). As the great sages say “if it isn’t peer reviewed, it didn’t happen

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have just had 4 Michelin tyres fitted. They are very good but I don’t think I will be eating out at any of their food recommendations!

Why not? The Michelin Guide is not just one, two or three star restaurants with astronomical prices*, but also lots of restaurants that do great food at affordable prices.

The common theme to ALL entries in the Michelin Guide is good quality ingredients, good cooking (skills) and an enjoyable meal (the first point being absolutely critical).

* I’ll be eating at a Ramen Shop in Tokyo that has a Michelin star or two - a bowl of their ramen costs about ¥1000  (£5.75) which is about average for Tokyo

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

While I was out on my walk this morning I took a few photos, I've just been sorting them out and resizing some to put here.  It was about an hour before high tide (neap).

sIMG_9638Blyth.jpg.8524c510cb5a2c4406736db96961cbb9.jpg

River Blyth loking upstream to the road and railway bridges.

sIMG_9640BlythNormandSentineloffshoresupplyship.jpg.253323c4e5043e767f0671f84430f3f0.jpg

Blyth harbour Normand Sentinel an offshore support ship

sIMG_9641BlythRemSupporteroffshoresupplyship.jpg.36179bc25878c4d5ba01e5821a991b98.jpg

Blyth Harbour  Rem Supporter another offshore supply ship

sIMG_9643Blyth.jpg.98d4ce29035a3249b6a25f3efad31e1a.jpg

Another view of the River Blyth

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here....

Mickey shines again.  Tick.

I tested the new car wash brush for the first time:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385420951491

Early impressions are that it'll excellent - Mickey washed in around 45 minutes, which is pretty good going for this Bear (it was a basic wash, not including door/bonnet/hatchback shuts etc.).  Now to see just how quick the Sh1tehawks cover it in cr@p again....🤬

Right, H/S/L work beckons....

BG

Well you've only got yourself to blame as you did savage/hack to bits/ prune - pick as appropriate, there pyracantha.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9

39 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

All the above come under the umbrella of “ultra processed” foods which are definitely not good for you - as a 10 years study in 10000 (yep, ten thousand) adults has shown (10,000 over 10 years is certainly a robust study) as is referred to here

Life without the fun and joy that the greatest food inventions in the modern world can bring....

. Did the study prove  that you actually DO live longer without them or does it just seem like it?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Today’s adventure in the kitchen produced an outbreak of tall food. 

Pork loin on seasoned* wilted spinach with roasted apple cubes, pork stuffing, seared brussels and a truffle mash. 

IMG_3569.jpeg.44a894af8e0dd4cc03545ab63fff5f06.jpeg

* Seasoned with these

IMG_3562.jpeg.f95dfe402387c7bb27f8e053a9a666f0.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

I was an early riser but I decided to get on with things first thing as I needed to go out shopping.

The shopping was for a bag of compost so I could finish planting a few plants in tubs, somehow I've come back withmore plants, I think they must have climbed into the trolley while my back was turned.  I also had a nice walk along the river towards the top end of the harbour and saw a couple of offshore support ships.

Next is coffee then the garden.

David

You have my sympathy. When I go into a nursery I feel like a kid in a sweet shop and can quite easily get carried away.

I don't know what is worse knowing that I'll have to find somewhere to put it, especially difficult as the garden is already stuffed to the gills or the fact that I'm now goIng t to have to pay for it.

This spring I converted part of the lawn at the bottom of the garden into a new border using the excuse that it never did well and would look much better with plants. The issue is though that it didn't do well because it's beneath the canopy of a  large magnolia. Hopefully the plants I've chosen should cope, but I'm not looking forward to the autumn leaf fall as I'll need to stop the plants being swamped and magnolia leaves are not small. So let's say autumn is going to be 'busy:

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Life without the fun and joy that the greatest food inventions in the modern world can bring....

. Did the study prove  that you actually DO live longer without them or does it just seem like it?

Actually the study shows that it’s dementia (and other cognitive dysfunctions) that are impacted bu ultra processed food, not longevity.

As to the “fun and joy” of eating and drinking, that can done extremely well without resorting to stabilisers, emulsifiers, anti-clumping agents, high fructose corn syrup and the like.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Presumably The Bear has heard about green vegetables and salads?

There's half a tin of Tommies - that's one of five a day right there.  Not to mention the onion....and there's chilli** in the chilli oil.

(**OK, so chilli flakes....)

32 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well you've only got yourself to blame as you did savage/hack to bits/ prune - pick as appropriate, there pyracantha.

Ah, but the little sh1ts were cr@ppin' on Mickey even before I pruned the Pyracantha....

• Like 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

People often claim that some particular foodstuff is "The Food of the Gods!"

This

image.png.6438168dec08aecf09ca4813fe89f27e.png

mainly looks like "The Toenails of the Gods!"

I note that there's a choccy digestive peeking out from under the edge of the plate.  Is that for dunking duty after consuming the toenails?

Ah, but have you tasted it?

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Do you have battered fries/chips? In the Black Country they have orange coloured chips. 

Yes, battered fries, while not commonplace are not unheard of. Not routinely found in oven chips though.

There are many brightly orange coloured snack foods - Cheetos (allegedly cheese flavoured), Doritos (corn chips) are the most common but there are many others. Taco Bell has seasonal "nacho fries" which are quite orange. These are far more in the 'ultra-processed' category than oven chips.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

15 minutes ago, polybear said:

There's half a tin of Tommies - that's one of five a day right there.  Not to mention the onion....and there's chilli** in the chilli oil.

Ah, but the little sh1ts were cr@ppin' on Mickey even before I pruned the Pyracantha....

Pre-emptive strike - they know your every move!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

35 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You have my sympathy. When I go into a nursery I feel like a kid in a sweet shop and can quite easily get carried away.

We have a similar problem not helped by ‘us’ not liking to dig up or throw  anything away. We have some very poorly plants out in the garden and it would be kinder to compost them. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, polybear said:

You should go easy on the chilli.

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Yet more sanding has been done today, lots of it. The filler that I applied to the south wall has now been sanded smooth, but it has highlighted a few more areas that need doing. The west far wall is in pretty much the same position too, these 2 walls are now almost ready to paint, but I still have the east and north walls to do, so I’m not yet ready to do any painting just yet. 

No work will be done tomorrow as I’m doing the shopping in the morning and I’m at Wythenshaw hospital in the afternoon seeing my urologist.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Managed to sort the washing out and put it away but I've now got another pile to do. The stiff joints due to the arthritis is a bit of a bind but at least they're not so painful. Now to have a quick look at Farcebook.

• Like 8