The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Big shop day today, the fridge and cupboards are nearly empty. I'll splash out on a taxi as there'll be a few bags to hump about. The arthritis was confined to my left hip, the side I was laying on but when I got up the arthritis disappeared.

• Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

We are awake and have finished breakfast. I have survived the world of parking app installation and payment and we should be setting off soon to go to Chelsea. 

Tony

Hope you have a good day. Not certain if they still do it but the RHS used to lay on a shuttle bus from the tube stations. Like you I haven't been for many many years.

Tell the Mesahib not to get too horrified at some of the gardens - if that's what they can be called.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hope you have a good day. Not certain if they still do it but the RHS used to lay on a shuttle bus from the tube stations. Like you I haven't been for many many years.

Tell the Mesahib not to get too horrified at some of the gardens - if that's what they can be called.

Aditi thinks walking is good so even if a bus existed it would be ignored.  Aditi is rarely horrified at prices if it is something she wants!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

For those of you whose Japanese is a bit shaky:

シロクマ shirokuma (polybear),

猿は楽しいですよ saru wa tanoshīdesu yo (monkeys are fun)

パプカム papukamu (pupcam)

ザQ za Q (the Q)

ウィンスロー・ボーイ u~insurō bōi (Winslow Boy)

白いうさぎ Shiroi usagi (White Rabbit)

The above contains all 4 character types used in modern Japanese.

1.   Katakana
  2. 猿  Kanji
  3. は  Hiragana
  4. papukamu rōmaji

I can read Katakana and Hiragana. Fortunately Kanji (which some estimates put at > 50,000 characters) is often written with a hiragana "explanation" above the Kanji characters, like so

image.png.ed03679958b8f9cc02c2098eda49cd7c.png

Cheers

Flavio

One good thing about Japanese is that the sounds are easy for English speakers to master, it's not like Mandarin (or god help us, Vietnamese) which has a lot of sounds we don't use and for which tone is critical. I often wonder if there are lots of questionable Chinese comedy shows ripping the urine out of foreigners for butchering Chinese in the way of those old racist gags about 'flied lice' from the 70's and 80's.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

I received a text from the Docs today - it seems they're upgrading their phone system at the moment; hopefully this will put an end to the bullsh1t bingo but the jury's out on that one until I get to test it.

Call me cynical but I remain to be convinced....

BG

Ours was upgraded recently too.

I preferred the music the old system used to play while you waited in the queue.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Many happy returns to Hroth. 

Morning all. A warm one, summer seems to be here. Plenty of work this week on refilling birdbaths and watering the pots. Though I hope to cover some ground with Samantha today, particularly if I remember the 'picnic' blanket. For anyone nostalgic for ISIHAC's favourite young lady, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toi27HQHeI8 may provide a distraction. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Firstly, VHBBW to @Hroth 🎂🎂

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Once a few spiders have spun some webs you won’t notice any slight variation in colour.

Where's my list.......Section T.......

Danglin' has been done.... the edges proved easier than expected and currently looks "ok".  We'll see.

Right, a bit more playin' to do before din dins time.

BG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I only get free bus travel in England. 

The UK bus pass for seniors is country-specific. If you live in England it can only be used in England etc.  

There are very limited concessions where bus routes cross borders but there are also cases where you cannot travel free across the border. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I only get free bus travel in England. 

No you don't, we haven't got any buses for you to use..

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

No you don't, we haven't got any buses for you to use..

I can access local trains and ferries as well as buses with mine...

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news for New Haven Neil!! The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company now operates services to Singapore! Mind you, I have seen no advertising for this new service and can't find any info about it, so I can't imagine they'll get many passengers. Marine South Pier today (she's been there for a few days now).

Manx3.JPG

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Excellent news for New Haven Neil!! The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company now operates services to Singapore! Mind you, I have seen no advertising for this new service and can't find any info about it, so I can't imagine they'll get many passengers. Marine South Pier today (she's been there for a few days now).

Manx3.JPG

Probably forgot to turn left going into Liverpool and just carried on going.

Going to take some explaining though to the board of directors though.

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All!

17 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Having said that, LEGO is experimenting with new, more sustainable (less fossil fuel) plastics. So far they don't work as well.

Why am I not surprised?    I have yet to come across a product that has been improved or even as good-as by going green.

15 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

I received a text from the Docs today - it seems they're upgrading their phone system at the moment; hopefully this will put an end to the bullsh1t bingo but the jury's out on that one until I get to test it.

Call me cynical but I remain to be convinced....

BG

The last time I visited the GP surgery (to collect meds) about 3 weeks ago I was assured that "the new system that will allow you to book future appointments online is going online on Monday".   

For amusement the other day I logged on to the GP's website to explore what appointment options were on offer.  This was for research rather than medical purposes you understand.

"Computer says no"

Ah!  I see, it's an environmental friendly new appointment booking system.

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

The UK bus pass for seniors is country-specific. If you live in England it can only be used in England etc.  

There are very limited concessions where bus routes cross borders but there are also cases where you cannot travel free across the border. 

I have recently completed another orbit of our nearest star which now entitles me to such a pass.   The fact that country boundaries cannot normally be breached will not be a problem in my case.    I'm 99.9999% certain that not even county boundaries will be breached by me on a bus.  You may infer gentle reader that I'm unlikely to be doing any bus trips when you learn that there is such a border passing through the village.   Coupled to the fact that you probably need a valid "Passport" or "Driving Licence" photograph to apply for one in the first place.  If true, Puppers finds the latter of those two in particular quite ironic.   Anyway, it's discrimination I tell you!

In Other News

Tuesday evening saw me doing some astronomy and ERs.   A long multi-quote post had been prepared ready for final honing earlier in the day when the astronomy and post disappeared into the ether, gone forever, as a result of numerous 5 minute power failures occurring every 15 minutes  from 10:pm until 1:00am the following day.   What was particularly irritating was that every time the power came on a neighbours alarm siren went off for the regulation 10(?) minutes.    Unfortunately they weren't at home to turn the B thing off.      Got me thinking that that's not a very bright configuration as it sort of repeatedly advertisers that the property is devoid of inhabitants ........

Anyway, I thought "Bother"*  ICBA so thankfully you've all been saved from that particular batch of drivel.    

Hooray! I hear you cry 😀

*   The phrase actual contained two words, the second of which was "it"

Pampas wrestling completed this morning = Big tick  but fee completly exhausted now

Finished the Beeza mod yesterday and was thinking I might go down to the local Wednesday evening bike meet.    Started the engine on the drive when a tremendous racket gushed forth from what seemed to be the gearbox region.   Maybe my diagnosis of the problem the other day was incomplete.    Mega mega TCs!

Anyone want to buy an interesting pre-war motorcycle project?    It's full of potential as the adverts say ........ **

** Potential to make a small fortune by starting with a large one

TTFNQ

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Probably forgot to turn left going into Liverpool and just carried on going.

Going to take some explaining though to the board of directors though.

How many times do people have to be told not to just go where the GPS tells them to without thinking about it, it's a miracle the ship didn't get stuck on a railway level crossing.

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

I may need surgery on a finger due to it "being pulled out of place" 

I hope it’s not your ‘that’s out’  finger.

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I have recently completed another orbit of our nearest star which now entitles me to such a pass.   The fact that country boundaries cannot normally be breached will not be a problem in my case.    I'm 99.9999% certain that not even county boundaries will be breached by me on a bus.  You may infer gentle reader that I'm unlikely to be doing any bus trips when you learn that there is such a border passing through the village.   Coupled to the fact that you probably need a valid "Passport" or "Driving Licence" photograph to apply for one in the first place.  If true, Puppers finds the latter of those two in particular quite ironic.   Anyway, it's discrimination I tell you!

A "passport-style" photograph is required.  It may help if you have, as I do, an existing photo on file with either the DVLA (or what ever "Swansea" is called this week) or the Passport Office (ditto).  

I completed my required orbit last week and am now the keeper of an England bus pass in exchange for my previous London-only Oyster 60+.  Residents of London Boroughs are entitled to their free travel at age 60 which I have therefore enjoyed for the past six years.  Along with free prescriptions and the wider free travel entitlements linked to my employment.  

It is a rather curious thing to have to think at times which version of free travel I am using!  There are three options all of which have a measure of geographical overlap.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday to Hroth.

In other news, Mrs mole's new motability car is now arriving next Tuesday as the dealer had a delivery earlier than expected.  So some stuff can be taken to the lockup and other stuff (hopefully less in volume) brought here, with the cumulative effct of clearing a bit of space....which will rapidly be filled again, going by past experience.  Trips to the lockup can be done by bus and walk, but are limited to what I can carry and take over an hour there and back + actual time in the garage.  More importantly, Mrs mole can get to her sessions, practices and gigs again.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday Hroth.

In other news I actually have  bit, due to another recent procedure(prostate zapped with a laser, can't remember if I gave you the gory details, if not just ask!!!!) I went for my MOT with the nurse and I failed again, I'm pre-diabetic apparently, all of that is fine, bloods etc, but I had a nasty infection, probably to do with the stent, catheter or some other bits after the laser job, so anti biotics for a week. Now all is as good as it gets with me, so car in for a service today and sort out a rather nasty grinding noise on the front, exactly the same noise as was on the back last year, wheel bearings I fear, but at 98.000 miles to be expected, but as the car doesn't sound as bad as I do money will be spent, probably enough to buy quite a few Deltics, whatever they are to a steam buff.

Too 'ot to be in the garden we have 16 degrees, that's tropical up here in Polar Bear country, so I retired to "The Old Summer House", where wheels were rotated along parallel bits of metal, quite successful too, all in working order. I'm planning on a change of stock, so some locos may be going to Perth for a swap if they have what I'm after.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11