The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

I assumed it was when there's a side turning on the section of the road covered by the traffic lights and someone's decided this traffic should also be controlled by lights. . 

47 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

Yes. It's what the sign says. Adds to the delays and is probably to stop people thinking the lights have stuck on red.

So, lights at a 'tee' / T intersection then?

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

One of my favourites, sorry to see her go.

Remembered here as   the "Face Of Rugby League"  1989 - 1995 or so.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Reading with the wrong glasses I initially read it as "anthracite exploration" 🙂

The last part of your post reminded me of a long-running Barry Cryer joke on ISIHAC. During one particular recurring word game (word for word) he would come up with a combination like “anthracite exploration” and claim that they were “a 60s pop band” The other panellists would then chip in, saying how they remembered that band’s top-twenty hit…

ISIHAC, a very British creation (and now, dare I say it, suffering from that weird combination of neglect and puritanical prodnose interference with which the Beeb always treats its really great shows….)

Edited by iL Dottore
Word change for emphasis
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 22/05/2023 at 16:40, pH said:

An e-bay purchase coming from the US seems to have disappeared. 

After the usual scenic tour of various locations in several states, it was last shown as “Dispatched by US Carrier” on May 19 - 3 days ago. It’s not shown up anywhere since.

The package has now re-appeared out of the void.

Canada Post have it in their tender care. This may, or may not, be a good thing.

Edited by pH
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

During one particular recurring word game (word for word) he would come up with a combination like “anthracite exploration” and claim that they were “60s pop band

When there were bands such as “Mandrake Paddle Steamer”.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

An early start today simply becasue I slept all night and then woke up. I now have the first mug of tea at my side and am catching up on e mails, RMWeb and so on.

Last night was relaxing, a bit of TV, reading a Gardeners' World magazine and a crossword book which will soon be finished.  I shall be pleased when I have finished it, as they are very variable in difficulty and too many clues rely on finding synonyms.  Good for my vocabulary but not much else. I shall soon be back to books of crosswords from newspapers, particularly The Daily Telegraph which I prefer - even though I often can't complete them.

The back is still sore but sitting down is OK, as is gentle walking.  I am avoiding bending any more than I can help.

Apart from a trip to church where it is my turn to read the lesson today I don't have anything much planned though I might put some more plants in the garden and tubs.  There is also the big decision of what to eat for lunch and tea.

David

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

.......and across the road a 2000 Sq metre workshop. 

So that could be, er, 66ft wide by 330ft long.  Bluddy Hell....

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

They have 10 years of work ahead of them......

And that's just to build the baseboards.....

Bear here.....

Danglin'...probably.  Today it'll be adding some colour to those edges of the door frame that are visible from the landing so they match the architrave /staircase/banister colour - as to how well (or not) all this will look when finished is debateable.  I've a suspicion that Bear will end up having to tolerate the outcome of the H/S/L refurb rather than being pleased with it. 😐

After that it'll be MIUABGAD

Bear Gone.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Woke up this morning

Found my personal odometer had ticked over yet again

Oh I woke up this morning

Found I was entitled to free UK local bus travel

After 9.30 am

Oh where did all the years go

But I'm glad I'm not 20 again

(asthmatic wheezing on a blues harp...)

LXVI Blues...

I’m not sure whether I should sympathise for your misfortunes or be amused by your excellent “old man’s blues” pastiche….

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We are awake and have finished breakfast. I have survived the world of parking app installation and payment and we should be setting off soon to go to Chelsea. 

Tony

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s not quite as bright as yesterday, but it has all the makings of another nice day, so hopefully I’ll get the rest of the south wall stripped. After dinner, the plan is to give the workshop a good tidy up, put away the power tools that aren’t required and generally mark it habitable for tomorrow, as Charlie isn’t coming round this afternoon, he’s coming tomorrow afternoon instead. But before any work is done to the workshop, I’ll give the washing machine and it’s filter clean, I’ll also do the dishwasher filter too. Sheila is getting herself ready for her Zumba class, for which my chauffeuring services are required, whilst she’s doing so, I’m currently sat in the dining room, keeping out of the way. 

Back later n

Brian

p.s. @Hroth happy birthday 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

HB, Hroth.  Enjoy.

Rough NHN this morning, the new theraping exercises have caused not inconsiderable discomfort.  Hopefully in the no pain, no gain direction, but that was a bad night.

To compensate, I may just go for a ride on one of the old electric things not far from here, they have renewed the level crossing back into the proper station in the Bright Light of Ramsey after several years of being out of use and the trains stopping short at a horrid 'halt' aka a bus shelter, so it needs to be inspected.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've a suspicion that Bear will end up having to tolerate the outcome of the H/S/L refurb rather than being pleased with it. 

Once a few spiders have spun some webs you won’t notice any slight variation in colour.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 6