The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Which is which?

🤣

(At this point Puppers gives up all hope......)

I wonder if the security barriers would be triggered if you walked out without paying for them....

Incidentally, does Lego cost obscene amounts as it does in the UK?  It's a pile of plastic, after all.

Bear here....

Let's see now - oh yes, danglin'.....

After that (and din dins) I may well get around to finally attacking the Pyracanthus at the bottom of the garden - the Green Bin needs jumping in first though to make a bit more room; the green bin men arrive tomorrow and Bear's out to get his money's worth.

BG

I'm assuming my dear Bear that that your pyracantha has flowered? That's the white/cream coloured WARNING WARNING TECHNICAL TERM BEING USED panicles of flowers. Pause to allow Bear to Google panicles. Once flowers have finished yourll also get berries which birds like.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

WARNING WARNING TECHNICAL TERM BEING USED panicles of flowers.

I hope Bear doesn’t jump in the bin after the pyracantha prunings have been put in. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I hope Bear doesn’t jump in the bin after the pyracantha prunings have been put in. 

From experience long handled loppers and motorcycle gauntlets are safe working gear. Cutting the branches into short lengths also helps get the maximum amount of plant matter in the bin, a two-foot-long branch constitutes an offensive weapon. The berries are poisonous to dogs.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

12 hours ago, southern42 said:

No fancy telescope, just my new pre-owned iPhone through the dining room window.

A bit blurry but here is the Moon and Venus. A few minutes later and they were covered in cloud which is deep purple right across the sky, now the sun has gone down.

IMG_7139.jpeg.21e473c61ad05bcd9051d33ff8b3719c.jpeg

Expand  

No that is all wrong. I took the exact same picture last night and you can clearly see Venus is ABOVE the  moon!

image.png.e7cd9ba3b985b6b78140866e217fd6de.png

Love it :D

😁

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

早起き派への「注意」(Dear Early Risers),

2週間ちょっと後に ilDottore が日本から投稿される予定です。

それで、

• シロクマ、
  • 猿は楽しいですよ
  • パプカム
  • ザQ
  • ウィンスロー・ボーイ
  • 白いうさぎ

そして残りの皆さんは日本語を磨かなければなりません!

Just Sayin'

😁

医者

Hayaoki-ha e no `chūi'

2-shūkan chotto ato ni iL Dottore ga Nihon kara tōkō sa reru yoteidesu.

Sorede,

• shirokuma,
  • saru wa tanoshīdesu yo
  • papukamu
  • za Q
  • u~insurō bōi
  • Shiroi usagi

soshite nokori no minasan wa nihongo o migakanakereba narimasen!

Isha

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

the Green Bin needs jumping in first though to make a bit more room; the green bin men arrive tomorrow and Bear's out to get his money's worth.

Take care that you don't wedge the stuff in the bottom of the bin so tightly that it won't come out, despite the binmens shaking mechanism!

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There was a Foster's "How to Speak Australian" commercial years ago (plenty on YouTube, but not the one I want) where there is a big steak on a grill with the voiceover:

"Steak!"

Followed by a sprig of parsley dropped on it, with the voiceover:

"Salad!"

I'm wondering if that is the one?

Very probably a screengrab from that, it was a picture of a steak with a small sprig of parsley on top. 

12 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Parsley is for the guinea-pigs.  

I'll have the rest!  

Turdycurses, must message Andy to change my username to the White Guinea Pig.... 

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Don't I know it. It's a meat pie desert around here....

I've had a go at making my own meat pies, broadly similar principles to the quiche recipe discussed earlier. Either using a flattish roasting tin or the 'terrine' tin (more brick shaped). 

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Now I may be treading on very thin ice with this jjb1970, but in the absence of decent pies - have you considered baking your own? ...

Ah, beaten to it. One piece of trivia, 'some say' that having cold hands when you do the mixing for the pastry helps. I don't want to be the cause of an increase in frostbite cases - especially in Singapore or Australia - but the theory is that this reduces any increase in temperature of the pastry while mixing and is supposed to make a difference. I admit it could be an old wives tale but offer the thought for what it's worth. 

Rat au van cuisine? 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

I thought pamplemousse was grapefruit? O level French was a long time ago. Pomegranate is grenade or grenadine.

When I was a child, the vicar's wife was French. If we went round the vicarage after the service (and they seemed to ask various people round every now and then), she served us grenadine cordial, which I liked. It was the only time I ever had it until I was of cocktail drinking age!

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

If we went round the vicarage after the service (and they seemed to ask various people round every now and then), she served us grenadine cordial, which I liked.

The first time my nephew had a lot of his friends from sixth form round while his parents were out for the evening, they didn’t wreck the house but someone did drop a whole bottle of Grenadine onto a very pale green carpet. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm assuming my dear Bear that that your pyracantha has flowered? That's the white/cream coloured WARNING WARNING TECHNICAL TERM BEING USED panicles of flowers. Pause to allow Bear to Google panicles. Once flowers have finished yourll also get berries which birds like.

Does it make a difference - and are these the same birds that cr@p all over the Bearmobile?

It's green and wood colour and I know the name of it as well, which is pretty good going for Bear.  No white flowery bits though.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Pomegranate is grenade

Because it looks like one!

image.png.c7f0cb5d0d597b0a63e0e47f96f01609.png

Pomegranate

image.png.1baa22a7dfe7c3b879e8f9918f4e4956.png

18th Century Grenade

(The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch for secular use...)

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, polybear said:

and are these the same birds that cr@p all over the Bearmobile?

It's green and wood colour and I know the name of it as well,

I thought it was Mickey?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis came back about lunchtime so Nurofen was taken and now its gone. I was thinking about going to Tess Coes but I have enough supplies in so thats for tomorrow now.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

For those of you whose Japanese is a bit shaky:

シロクマ shirokuma (polybear),

猿は楽しいですよ saru wa tanoshīdesu yo (monkeys are fun)

パプカム papukamu (pupcam)

ザQ za Q (the Q)

ウィンスロー・ボーイ u~insurō bōi (Winslow Boy)

白いうさぎ Shiroi usagi (White Rabbit)

The above contains all 4 character types used in modern Japanese.

1.   Katakana
  2. 猿  Kanji
  3. は  Hiragana
  4. papukamu rōmaji

I can read Katakana and Hiragana. Fortunately Kanji (which some estimates put at > 50,000 characters) is often written with a hiragana "explanation" above the Kanji characters, like so

image.png.ed03679958b8f9cc02c2098eda49cd7c.png

Cheers

Flavio

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 3