The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Followed by a sprig of parsley dropped on it, with the voiceover:

"Salad!"

Parsley is for the guinea-pigs.  

I'll have the rest!  

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

How can you tell when a reporter didn't do well with science subjects at school:

This article:

CNN: New York City is sinking due to its million-plus buildings, study says

Which includes the following:

What a hodgepodge of units! The final reference is a direct quote so I am obliged to let  4½ pass (rather than 4.5mm).

But pounds and kg?  When the perfectly useful tons and tonnes are right there. Of course using tons requires the distinction between US (short) tons and Imperial (long) tons. But surely 762Mt is clearer, even if spelled out as 762 megatonnes / 840 million (US) tons?

Who can readily conceive the mass of a fully loaded 747-400? (Given this is NYC, surely garbage trucks or subway trains would be a better comparison if such junk comparisons are to be used?)

The reader is left to do the arithmetic on inches in 27 years of sea level rise versus mm per year of subsidence.

At the fastest rates of: 30" / 27 years (28mm / year) means sea level rise is >6X the fastest subsidence rate of 4.5mm / year at an annual, combined, relative sea-level rise of <33 mm.

The article makes the claim:

Which isn't supported by the data in the article - at least for NYC, which may or may not be in the study - I'm not paying for a subscription to find out.

EDIT: The article was filed under the SPACE+SCIENCE banner

Was this supposed to be "global warming isn't the real problem" piece? What a load of anti-science nonsense. It does reinforce my theory that the Internet isn't making people smarter. It's making them dumber. 🙁

• Like 10
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I take it you don't want surf with your turf.

image.png.fef23fa609f6070e93afd83c737b6685.png

A Victorian period lobster plate.

Evening Awl,

The first statement in that article was clever too, the sea level is rising faster because the land is sinking... Err no .. evening if the sea wasn't rising you'd still eventually get your feet wet?

Just back from the MRC,

Lots of people reaching headless chicken levels as our show is on Sunday.

Noise level quite high, so I sat in a corner working on stone laying and tried to ignore it all.

Left knee playing up again, knee support has been ordered, we'll see if that helps, if I keep on adding neoprene supports everywhere I'll end up looking like the recent batman...

My nearly forty year old diesel  Landrover must be one of the greenest vehicles on the planet having long since recouped it's manufacturing carbon costs. So much so from Apr 1st 2025 it will be allowed in the ULEZ at no cost. Still has to pay congestion charge though.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just finished watching 'Father Brown' on the TV. The murder victim was the local station master who was also a railway modeller who had built a model of the station. The model layout that featured was not a prop but an actual working layout. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I needed a quick 'box mart run' - mostly some tortillas but I grabbed some memory foam insoles while I was there.

I wandered by the toy department (as one does) and the whole tranche of new LEGO Harry Potter sets were on the shelves despite them not being released until the (Glorious) First of June, so I grabbed a couple of them, including yet-another interpretation of a bright red (rather than crimson) wheeled conveyance, and a very abbreviated model of Goathland Station*.

* It's sort of, kind of, based on the original.

Interestingly, the till software flagged that they were not for sale - which was a little disappointing and only surprising as far as the efficacy of the software was concerned. It's the first time a box mart has refused to sell me something on their shelves.

I imagine the shelf stockers will get a little chat about following the "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL" instructions printed on the crates.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

How can you tell when a reporter didn't do well with science subjects at school:

This article:

CNN: New York City is sinking due to its million-plus buildings, study says

Which includes the following:

What a hodgepodge of units! The final reference is a direct quote so I am obliged to let  4½ pass (rather than 4.5mm).

But pounds and kg?  When the perfectly useful tons and tonnes are right there. Of course using tons requires the distinction between US (short) tons and Imperial (long) tons. But surely 762Mt is clearer, even if spelled out as 762 megatonnes / 840 million (US) tons?

Who can readily conceive the mass of a fully loaded 747-400? (Given this is NYC, surely garbage trucks or subway trains would be a better comparison if such junk comparisons are to be used?)

The reader is left to do the arithmetic on inches in 27 years of sea level rise versus mm per year of subsidence.

At the fastest rates of: 30" / 27 years (28mm / year) means sea level rise is >6X the fastest subsidence rate of 4.5mm / year at an annual, combined, relative sea-level rise of <33 mm.

The article makes the claim:

Which isn't supported by the data in the article - at least for NYC, which may or may not be in the study - I'm not paying for a subscription to find out.

EDIT: The article was filed under the SPACE+SCIENCE banner

I think the core problem is a general decline in journalism. The rise of on-line media and the blogosphere has led to a rush to the bottom by more established news outlets.

I work in shipping and remember the old Lloyd's List when it was a broadsheet newspaper, it was the newspaper of record for the industry and very highly respected. Now it's an IHS blog and treated with derision. There was a magazine called Fairplay which was very highly regarded. That closed a few years ago but near the end it was a joke, they laid off their staff writers and replaced them with interns and cheap replacements with quite predictable results. I know one of the environmental correspondents for a national outlet well and she is frank in sharing her opinions of it all and that she just hopes she can get something better.

I remember when the journals of professional institutes were serious publications and when they published original research and technical papers. Now most of them look like something I would write.

It might not be so bad if it was limited to niche outlets of no real importance, but the main news media is no better. They now rely on being spoonfed by NGOs, unattributed government informants and/or party hacks of whichever political party they are associated with. 

• Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

On Four n Twenty I must admit we sometimes buy a box, I know they're the equivalent of Ginsters (supermarket pies) but we do miss pies and they're pretty much all that is available🫣 

The local curry puffs are excellent but I miss meat pies.

• Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I miss meat pies.

Don't I know it. It's a meat pie desert around here.

There's a really great Aussie meat pie food cart in Central Oregon, (run by an expat Aussie, of course). There is also an Aussie meat pie bakery in Portland, and while their sausage rolls are good, there's something not quite 'right' about the pie fillings - they are too dry.

Fish and chips is quite common as pub grub - some better than others. "Frying Scotsman" (a food cart in the western Portland suburbs) is very good.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I think the core problem is a general decline in journalism.

Yes. The internet, bringing an expectation that news should be 'free', has destroyed print journalism and overall standards have declined.

Per this analysis:

The number of Americans per journalist was 4,490 in 1990. In 2019 that had dropped to 14,251. That's about a 70% decline in potential coverage. (Yes, productivity is improved in that time, but so much is recycled or parroted instead of feet-on-the-street investigative journalism.)

There are other factors like massive M&A activity creating mega media companies owning local television stations, but I won't go there in the interest of avoiding politics.

EDIT: Though I think the piece I referenced is as much an indictment on basic science education as journalistic professionalism.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

No that is all wrong. I took the exact same picture last night and you can clearly see Venus is ABOVE the  moon!

image.png.e7cd9ba3b985b6b78140866e217fd6de.png

Perhaps Venus orbits the moon 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

14 hours ago, polybear said:

Bottom shelf - middle shelf - top shelf....

Wasted, this Bear....should've been a Chef....

Captain Cynical notes that the Bear is now suffering from delusions of adequacy…

Time for the purple pills, he reckons.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

8 hours ago, AndyID said:

Was this supposed to be "global warming isn't the real problem" piece? What a load of anti-science nonsense. It does reinforce my theory that the Internet isn't making people smarter. It's making them dumber. 🙁

(My emphasis).

I’m afraid you may be right, Andy.

It’s frightening to consider that the internet was created and built by very smart and very clever people but is now being taken over* by the sort of people who - pre-internet - would write to newspapers/their MP in green crayon on lined paper, wander the streets swigging meths and screaming obscenities or would create tiny splinter groups of like minded fervently extreme loonies.

Thanks to the Internet the crazies have now found each other…

* has been???

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On Four n Twenty I must admit we sometimes buy a box, I know they're the equivalent of Ginsters (supermarket pies) but we do miss pies and they're pretty much all that is available🫣 

The local curry puffs are excellent but I miss meat pies.

Now I may be treading on very thin ice with this jjb1970, but in the absence of decent pies - have you considered baking your own? (I won’t suggest that you ask Mrs jjb1970 to “get baking” - some things are perhaps too dangerous for a mere mortal man 😀)

Anyway, hilarity aside, some pies are very easy to make as the pastry is also easy to make - the 3 easiest being hot water crust pastry, suet pastry and shortcrust pastry. I would imagine lard (for the first pastry type) would be fairly easy to get in Singapore; suet might be a bit more difficult, but a good butcher should be able to source it for you, even if you have to do your own suet prep (suet is nothing more than the fat from around a beef kidney that has been cleaned and grated [commercial suet is also dusted with flour to stop it from clumping together] - where you have beef you should also be able to get suet). Shortcrust pastry is also a doddle, all you need is extremely cold butter (or a mixture of butter and lard), flour, baking powder and a food processor.

Once you have sorted out the pastry, then a whole world of tasty pies await!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, southern42 said:

A bit blurry but here is the Moon and Venus. 

IMG_7139.jpeg.21e473c61ad05bcd9051d33ff8b3719c.jpeg

Which is which?

🤣

(At this point Puppers gives up all hope......)

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I needed a quick 'box mart run' - mostly some tortillas but I grabbed some memory foam insoles while I was there.

I wandered by the toy department (as one does) and the whole tranche of new LEGO Harry Potter sets were on the shelves despite them not being released until the (Glorious) First of June, so I grabbed a couple of them, including yet-another interpretation of a bright red (rather than crimson) wheeled conveyance, and a very abbreviated model of Goathland Station*.

* It's sort of, kind of, based on the original.

Interestingly, the till software flagged that they were not for sale - which was a little disappointing and only surprising as far as the efficacy of the software was concerned. It's the first time a box mart has refused to sell me something on their shelves.

I imagine the shelf stockers will get a little chat about following the "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL" instructions printed on the crates.

I wonder if the security barriers would be triggered if you walked out without paying for them....

Incidentally, does Lego cost obscene amounts as it does in the UK?  It's a pile of plastic, after all.

Bear here....

Let's see now - oh yes, danglin'.....

After that (and din dins) I may well get around to finally attacking the Pyracanthus at the bottom of the garden - the Green Bin needs jumping in first though to make a bit more room; the green bin men arrive tomorrow and Bear's out to get his money's worth.

BG

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

3.5 hours plus 2.5 hours sleep long awake in the middle.

Ben I'd like to go out Collie, has been taken for patrol, blue welkin, medium dew, light breeze.

Our regional paper long since got rid of its reporters, they just depend on people phoning in stories, and the editors phoning places nearby to any incident to get misinformation.

Plans today,

Unload the Landrover, which I meant to do yesterday.

Visit the MRC I left some paperwork behind,

Post said paperwork,

Visit bank again.

Fig tree area again...

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2