The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A nice sunny morning on the Northumberland coast though it hasn't warmed up yet.  The local flocks of starling are making as much noise as possible - the young have fledged recently and like being loud.

The groceries came from Asda, one item went back - I don't like things with chili.  After the driver had gone I realised I have an extra bottle of milk - but it keeps until 12th June so that is OK and one yoghurt is different from the others - same make, same split pot but it has chocolate bits in the small part where normally mine have fruit.  I wonder how it got picked - fortunately it is one I buy from time to time for a change.

The TV didn't switch on in the early hours, I think that it was the Freeview box causing the problem. Last night I found an HDMI extension lead in a box of useful things so now I can unplug it from the TV without having to grovel at the back of the box or the TV.  I found that for some reason it has gone back to switching on the TV when it wakes up - I had disabled that before but since an update the menu has changed and the option has gone.  

I only use the box if I record something which I rarely do anymore, so leaving it not connected to the TV isn't an issue.  It takes seconds to connect it if I want to set it to record something or to watch something.  All the other things are available on the TV through its menu or by casting from the laptop which is much easier and quicker.

I suppose the good thing about it is that I have gone through the settings on the box and TV and have amended a couple of things.  I have also checked the sleep settings on the laptop and PC.

The toe seems OK today.  I may plant some bedding plants and the sweet peas if it stays nice.

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I was just thinking our Freeview box doesn't turn the TV on at random times, then realised we turn off the power to the TV at night - I don't like leaving things on standby consuming power unless necessary.  Only the box and the separate hard drive recorder are left on.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Salad often accompanies dishes such as quiche, pies, pizza, fried chicken, steak  and so on as a way to feel less guilty about not having something vegetable-centric. It is often not eaten but just serves as fancy garnish.

"Four And Twenty",  a pie company here recognised this and came up with the Magic Salad Plate.

I managed to get one 

image.png.ccda2c2e97e6c626b5cbddb8675c5320.png

and it is invaluable when having a BBQ or a pie and saves having all those green things in the fridge that usually go off just before you need them.

In fact when I buy them I just put them straight into the compost to save time.  

Crikey, you mean Four & Twenty really are Australian? I thought it was just another of those claims made by companies to make their product sound better, they're sold by the big supermarket chain here and are proudly sold as Australian, if there's one thing life has taught me (and there probably isn't) it is never to question the excellentness of meat pies in Australia, the fine people of Australia can forgive almost anything but draw the line at criticism of the pies🤣

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Big adventure starts today. Off to see my little Sister in Rutland. Stay overn8ght ( after repairing a loose fence panel. Then drive to Lulworth for a funeral tomorrow afternoon then.. a long drive back.

@Erichill16hope your good lady was seewander treated in the end.  I take it that you have visited the Brudenell music venue? Burley has a wide mix of inhabitants.. 

In other news.. anyone heard from @grandadbob? Hope he is OK.

Time to get my mugatea drunk..

Stay safe!

Baz

I was once a resident of Burley. Or at least Burley Road, back in my student days.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

When we were deciding whether to move the big 55inch TV to the living room. So after some research i discovered, when running the power consumption is 197W, when on stand by 0.7W.

So a 3kw kettle takes 45 seconds to boil a cup of water. That would cost at the current government max price 1.27p

So roughly leaving that TV on standby for 134 days would cost 1.27p...

Stair lifts can be moved house to house I've done it. It's not a big job.

One thing I've noticed when the pvr box is off the TV aerial loop through doesn't work, turn it on then it does, must find out if this TV has a loop through that works switched off or do we need a splitter before the signal reaches the equipments.

Some TVs and many PVR boxes turn on at an appointed time during the night to see if there is an update to their programming being sent over the air.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, the day of the boiler replacement has arrived.  After the long journey (other end of a short street) the fitter is getting on well with it, and as he's a biker too the conversation is agreeable.  It was an interesting job getting prices for the replacement, took several businesses (including the original fitters and subsequent annual servicing folk) a long time to get back to us.  I can accept a 'we're very busy but we will get back to you' message, but not weeks of silence.  This then followed up the following month with a hopeful telephone call - too late mate.

When Bear was doing the Great Kitchen Refurb I needed a gas pipe capped off - getting a quote was hard enough.  A local guy in the very next street quoted (IIRC) forty quid (which is robbery) and when I said yes he was no-where to be seen.  B'sterd.

What's even more annoying is that Bear could do it blindfolded - but that's naughty (and there were a few houses in the news blowing up due to gas leaks at the time - and one bloke deliberately cutting thru' a gas pipe with an angle grinder as well....).

At least I've got a nice shiny bit of paper from a local registered gas company, plus the knowledge that he did a drop (leak) test as well.  A bit more than forty quid though.  Turdycurses.

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

The TV didn't switch on in the early hours, I think that it was the Freeview box causing the problem. Last night I found an HDMI extension lead in a box of useful things so now I can unplug it from the TV without having to grovel at the back of the box or the TV.  I found that for some reason it has gone back to switching on the TV when it wakes up - I had disabled that before but since an update the menu has changed and the option has gone.  

I only use the box if I record something which I rarely do anymore, so leaving it not connected to the TV isn't an issue.  It takes seconds to connect it if I want to set it to record something or to watch something.  All the other things are available on the TV through its menu or by casting from the laptop which is much easier and quicker.

Bear has to turn on the Humax HDD then the TV immediately afterwards, otherwise I don't get any sound so have to turn both off then start again; it did the same thing with the old TV (a different make) as well.  Weird.

3 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

...... and when young woman sat next to her started being sick and recording it as a ‘selfie’ for posterity......

Bear was scoffin' din dins when I read that..... 🤢

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have thought about a stair lift but I'm not sure as to how long I'm going to stay in this house and  even if one would fit. 

And those that sell them are a Grade A bunch of crooks - loadsadosh involved.

As @The Q has mentioned it is possible to swap them from house to house - but only if the layout is the same (the stairs in Bear Castle has a 90 degree bend at the top, for example).

When a neighbour died very recently her son approached the stairlift company with a view to them buying it back (it wasn't very old) - they normally do, but it has to be less than 2 years old.  They were happy to take it out for quitealottahundreds though, and take it away....

He did it himself and the scrap man took the lot.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13