The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

18 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

'aveagoodweekend

I had a strange moment in the middle of Maui - not the touristy bits but the centre of the island. There was something about the smell of the dirt - rain on volcanic soil and the flora. It suddenly made me feel very homesick.

No reason to go that far. Just drive down to AZ. Same thing when it rains there.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Then call it what it is. In the case of dogs, much as I hate the whole idea, the euphemism is "being put down".

Torri (for Torridon) our beloved Cairn Terrier rescue, had to be euthanized to end his suffering. It had nothing to do with our suffering.

april2011114.jpg.0b08b236bb04788998db1fa87f373911.jpg

Hope you get my point.

Andy

We seem to be talking at cross purposes. I was referring to “euthanising” abusive and bad dog owners, not to euthanising the dogs themselves. I was being misanthropic. That’s why I said “our suffering” (i.e. abusive and bad dog owners make others suffer)

As I have posted previously (and elsewhere on RMWeb) the last, and perhaps the biggest, gift you can give your much loved dog is to gently usher them from life when it’s time for them to die - and do so at home, surrounded by the people they love and who love them, free of fear, stress and with the welcome release from severe infirmity and pain.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

7 minutes ago, AndyID said:

No reason to go that far. Just drive down to AZ. Same thing when it rains there.

The Valley of the Sun never made me feel homesick - I think I might have been there after it rained - I'm not sure.

The vegetation on Maui was very similar to southeast Queensland. So was the colonial architecture in Lahaina.

Plenty of volcanic soil in Oregon too (and rainforests) but the flora is very different.

• Informative/Useful 14

17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

We seem to be talking at cross purposes. I was referring to “euthanising” abusive and bad dog owners, not to euthanising the dogs themselves. I was being misanthropic. That’s why I said “our suffering” (i.e. abusive and bad dog owners make others suffer)

As I have posted previously (and elsewhere on RMWeb) the last, and perhaps the biggest, gift you can give your much loved dog is to gently usher them from life when it’s time for them to die - and do so at home, surrounded by the people they love and who love them, free of fear, stress and with the welcome release from severe infirmity and pain.

Clearly we must have misunderstood when you said "not only should the dog be euthanised".

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The Valley of the Sun never made me feel homesick - I think I might have been there after it rained - I'm not sure.

The vegetation on Maui was very similar to southeast Queensland. So was the colonial architecture in Lahaina.

Plenty of volcanic soil in Oregon too (and rainforests) but the flora is very different.

No prob. I was only trying to save you a couple of quid 🙂

If you want to check-out the amazing aromas in North Idaho just let me know.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, AndyID said:

I doubt if today's astronauts would have a snowball's chance of correcting any sort of problem without massive ground-based, real-time support. That might work at reasonable distances from Earth but it's not going to work beyond that.  Might this be a justification for minimizing the computer abstractions on long range space explorations? In other words - Keep It Simple S 😄

Call Bear cynical, but I can just imagine some clown routing all the Comms. thru' the computer....

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. More contenders for the Darwin award.

image.png.41865bbe64f8bcba9b71d8c236ec7028.png

Oh yes, love that one.  Here's a few more:

image.png.507841eac25c364d10513832a6744b33.png

image.png.61e1ab94e86f3473257ca5c5dc95945f.png

image.png.2644534bf1938eecba838a15df9ec244.png

image.png.0a3bd4ec1e4405954acf4ecd0741de14.png

It seems that Bear's antics don't even come close.

Must try harder.

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

If Bear's recent encounters with automated telephone systems are anything to go by then they can poke it, e.g.

"What is your house number?"

"Ten"

"Sorry, I didn't get that - please try again"

"Ten"

"Ten"

"Ten"

"FU*k OFF"

6 hours ago, AndyID said:

You might have made even more if you were offering printed N gauge track and points/turnouts/switches.

But then it has to be strong, dead stable, accurate, move without breaking - lots of times, be electrically conductive (or not) in the right places, at the right time.....

Whilst an Austin A40 just needs to look good whilst sitting there doing nothing.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

And it's about time all the so called Do-Gooders and "Though Shalt Not Types" stopped stickin' their noses in and blocking implementation of such laws that would allow such actions for people too.  Perhaps if they'd seen what Bear has seen then they'd think twice, or even better just ---- off.

Yes, Big Rant.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

On digital imagery I still think bridge cameras are an excellent compromise for most people, but they seem unloved by all sides.

The downside is that they might be said to combine the weight and bulk of a DSLR or mirrorless interchangeable lens camera with the small sensor of a lesser camera and a fixed lens.

The upside is that the zoom ranges of some of them covers everything and more 99.9% of users will ever want, the sensors are very good and you get an excellent camera in an easy to use package.

The Sony RX10 is a superb camera, the lens is genuinely excellent. The zoom range of the Nikon Coolpix P1000 is just bonkers. If I hadn't invested in the Fujifilm system or if it was stolen I think I would buy a Sony RX10.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Let's see now...oh yes, three door frames to prep. then freshen up with a coat of white paint**.  After that it's MIUABGAD.

**Not yer average white paint - it's called Jotun Demidekk (yes, really) and I discovered that just using their white primer on woodwork gives a semi-transluscent satin finish that looks quite smart - and is easy to apply as well; sadly the tin I have may well be the last as I've a sneaky feeling they may have changed/discontinued the particular flavour I like.  Turdycurses.

BG

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The Sony RX10 is a superb camera, the lens is genuinely excellent. The zoom range of the Nikon Coolpix P1000 is just bonkers. If I hadn't invested in the Fujifilm system or if it was stolen I think I would buy a Sony RX10.

For me one of the big downsides of cameras (apart from cost) is having to carry them around & the risk of theft; mobile phones are a lot smaller (though annoyingly big now**) and much easier to carry & hide away, though not immune to theft by any means.

(**When Bear was last considering buying a new phone - I thought the battery was on it's way out - I was dismayed by the almost total lack of truly pocket sized cameras now; they all seem to be the size of a bluddy house brick now, albeit not as thick).  Yep, another Rant.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

If Bear's recent encounters with automated telephone systems are anything to go by then they can poke it, e.g.

"What is your house number?"

"Ten"

"Ten"

"Ten"

"Ten"

"FU*k OFF"

I thought I had posted the following video before, but I’ve done a search and can’t find it. If I have, and this is a duplicate post, I apologize:

https://youtu.be/sAz_UvnUeuU

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The usual noises from Arthur Itis this morning but as usual moving about and Nurofen is dealing with it. More things to be getting on with today, be back later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

For me one of the big downsides of cameras (apart from cost) is having to carry them around & the risk of theft; mobile phones are a lot smaller (though annoyingly big now**) and much easier to carry & hide away, though not immune to theft by any means.

(**When Bear was last considering buying a new phone - I thought the battery was on it's way out - I was dismayed by the almost total lack of truly pocket sized cameras now; they all seem to be the size of a bluddy house brick now, albeit not as thick).  Yep, another Rant.

The problem for traditional compact cameras is that mobile phone cameras are so good, and ubiquitous, that the market all but vanished. So what market there is for cameras now tends to be professional equipment or stuff aimed at amateur enthusiasts wanting to do stuff they can't do with a phone. That said, the rangefinder style of body is quite popular for digital cameras and with a pancake lens they're very compact.

What compact cameras there still are tend to be either at the cheap throwaway end of the market or the expensive high end. If you have deep pockets the Sony RX100 VII is tiny, has a superb lens, is very well made and an all around excellent item for those still wanting a dedicated camera and want something small.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

And it's about time all the so called Do-Gooders and "Though Shalt Not Types" stopped stickin' their noses in and blocking implementation of such laws that would allow such actions for people too.  Perhaps if they'd seen what Bear has seen then they'd think twice, or even better just ---- off.

Yes, Big Rant.

I find this one difficult. I agree with the basic premise and that euthanasia is kinder in many cases, however I also worry about the potential for such laws to be abused and lead to some rather dark places. And trying to draft laws that properly address problem cases whilst still being workable is notoriously difficult.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, BoD said:

Morning all

I worry about AI especially if it were to be applied to self-drive cars.  

I mean, what would happen if  we wanted another visit to Scotland but the car decided that it would rather see Wales?

You have SWMBO for that.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Anither bright sunny start to the day here in the northwest corner of England, the temperature is currently 11C and is due to rise to 19C later. Instead of the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, WE are going to the RHS Bridgewater garden centre this morning as well a visit to the cafe, the food shopping will be done after dinner. I’m not sure what plants Sheila wants from the garden centre, but if tea and cake at the cafe are involved, then count me in. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

A sunny warm morning today, the sea breeze has gone away for a while.  Housework and washing are done so the rest of the day is free.

The dressing has been removed from the toe, it was coming loose when I got up.  It looks OK, I have my fingers crossed that the nail will settle down, it has a jagged edge but seems still to be attached to the toe.  I happen to have an appointment with my podiatrist on Fridauy so I'll get him to have a good look at it.  The toe now has a big piece of sticking plaster wrapped over it to protect it.  I can get a shoe on but will stay in sandals for now and not walk too much for a few more days.

I have problems with automated telephone systems, they sometimes have problems with "Yes" and "No" with my voice.  They alsio seem to have problems understanding what I want to ask about - I try only to ring banks when I have a complicated problems which they can't understand.  So far I have always got through to a human eventually.

My main bank always wants me to set up voiuce recognition, I wonder why I always say no?

About cameras.  My main camera is a Nikon dslr which is quite heavy.  I've had the Canon Ixus a long time, it is small, light and produces good photos.  If it goes wrong I have kept Mum's slightly older Ixus as a spare. One day I will buy a good lighter camera, there is a good shop not too far away.   I do want a new phone but feel I need to go and look at them to see what I really like.  While mine works it is hard to get any enthusiasm to do that.  To me it is simply a tool which is sometimes useful, but I would like one which is better at working with a very weak signal, which seems to he a problem of living by the sea.

Now for some coffee.

David

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2023 at 18:44, Coombe Barton said:

Many years ago I heard a broadcast about a BBC announcer not wanting to cock up pronouncing Rimsky-Korsakov, so he practiced and practiced and eventually got it right. Come the broadcast he got the name right but announced the piece as “The Bum of the Flightle Bee”

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/05/20/up-a-bit-the-progress-looks-unstable/

First time heard this piece on brass and it was great.

Other than that apologies - so far behind that it was a skim through.

@DaveF agree about voice recognition.

Cameras - have/had a Pentax for many years that was fantastic until a spring on the shutter went.  At the time could not fund the repair cost but when cost was not a problem it apparently could no longer be repaired ... too old!

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Good Morning, all . . bright and sunny here on the Costa, reaching 17c at the moment, with a light breeze from the sea.

I have two cameras . .a compact Samsung Digimax, and a Samsung bridge camera which was bought to replace the Digimax . . .I seem to do Ok with them, but i'm no photographer.

Have a good day everyone, and keep smiling . . . .

John

• Like 15

Cameras. Last year I upgraded everything to Lumix Mirrorless - it goes everywhere with me. Before that a Fujifilm Bridge (still have it), before that its predecessor, before that am Olympus digital, before that a Nikon pre-digital SLR (still have that) , before that other SLRs and other things. 

I'm in the habit of taking the cameras everywhere - just in case.

Edited by Coombe Barton
typos
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

We have got a Nikon Coolpix which is not a pocket camera. Aditi wanted a pocket/handbag camera and we got one of the Panasonic ones that fitted that description, how the zoom lens collapses into the body is rather amazing. However most of our snapshots and occasional video are on mobile phones now. 
Tony

• Like 13