The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear would very much like to hear fellow ER'ers book reviews....pretty please.....

Hardbound with dust jacket, 560 gloss pages.

Size: Portrait format 11.5" x 10" (29.2 x 25.4 for the Cm-ists) and "My God its HEAVY". Too heavy for the kitchen scales and I couldn't be bothered lugging it upstairs for the bathroom scales...

Its divided into parts, like Ancient Gaul.

Part the first: An introductive essay running to 48 pages or so with illustrations.

Sections for geographic parts of England:

North West

North East

East Midlands

West Midlands

East England

South and South East

London

South West

followed by an Index, footnotes, bibliography, credits and acknowledgments.

Individual photos are half and quarter page in size, some are full page, all well captioned and dated.  The ones I know about are accurate.  As noted elsewhere, most are townscapes though some of those are of railway interest. The photos themselves are clear and well printed.

I've not read the introduction (there's lots of words in it) and I've only looked through the North West section in any detail.  The contents look to be good source material for Pre-grouping and early Grouping townscapes.

Mine was well worth the £8.70 inc delivery that I paid!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 45568 said:

When you are concentrating hard on getting the photo subject just right, your faithful dog photobombs you!

DSCN0923.JPG.f1002d668f4e9475b7bfa7f200ca88cd.JPG

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Fixed it!

image.png.ac1cc2d5a3086464842301d8663ea267.png

Its what your preferred photo-editing software was designed for!

In the days before digital, things were more difficult.  I once took a few photos of a landscape while on holiday and only discovered that a donkey in the foreground was of an "over-amorous" disposition when the prints came back from the photo processors....

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

The ideal for learning is to play in three speeds. I generally find, as I get more familiar with something, I speed up anyway, so the initial doubling is usually not out of reach. If I can double again, I know I can play it!!! 

A thought has just occurred to me. I could double the speed of my other two songs. Hmmm! Interesting....! <<We'll see...>>

No sooner thought than done - on the shorter song, anyway.

Mixed feelings but I can do it, even with the twiddly bits.

Another challenge now - make it sound better!

Edited by southern42
pressed the submit button before I finished the post
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hardbound with dust jacket, 560 gloss pages.

Size: Portrait format 11.5" x 10" (29.2 x 25.4 for the Cm-ists) and "My God its HEAVY". Too heavy for the kitchen scales and I couldn't be bothered lugging it upstairs for the bathroom scales...

Its divided into parts, like Ancient Gaul.

Part the first: An introductive essay running to 48 pages or so with illustrations.

Sections for geographic parts of England:

North West

North East

East Midlands

West Midlands

East England

South and South East

London

South West

followed by an Index, footnotes, bibliography, credits and acknowledgments.

Individual photos are half and quarter page in size, some are full page, all well captioned and dated.  The ones I know about are accurate.  As noted elsewhere, most are townscapes though some of those are of railway interest. The photos themselves are clear and well printed.

I've not read the introduction (there's lots of words in it) and I've only looked through the North West section in any detail.  The contents look to be good source material for Pre-grouping and early Grouping townscapes.

Mine was well worth the £8.70 inc delivery that I paid!

Many thanks @Hroth - Bear feels a spend approaching....

In other news......

Danglin' done.  Tick.  Din dins scoffed.  Tick.

Now to MIUABGA - which may well include cutting the (very small) front lawn; the b@ll ache of actually shiftin' the stuff to do the job takes longer than it does to do it 😒

Whilst the dizziness has stayed bvggered off, I do still feel slightly "out of it" today.  Weird.

BG

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Fixed it!

image.png.ac1cc2d5a3086464842301d8663ea267.png

Its what your preferred photo-editing software was designed for!

In the days before digital, things were more difficult.  I once took a few photos of a landscape while on holiday and only discovered that a donkey in the foreground was of an "over-amorous" disposition when the prints came back from the photo processors....

Thanks, but I love my Dog!!!!!

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

The earliest flowering of our bluebells are beging to look a bit fried, whilst the latest are just coming out.

Much jungle clearance around the fig tree ... Much more Todo.

SSD fitted to laptop, windows booted up went into full installation routine, but didn't ask for it's licence key.

It did ask for email passwords and ballsed that one up. I've had to change my Google email password, and it refused to take the BT one. Only when it was fully up and running and I went into manual email set up would it accept the BT email.

I then had the fight with hp instant ink. They wanted full registration and a contract. I've found a way round. 

After that i tried to get the specific Toshiba drivers, it took a long time before their site would even accept that this model existed.. then it says there are no specific drivers for this model. Which I don't believe. It doesn't help that it looks like Toshiba have handed over their laptop division to a group called dynabook., This laptop being before then dynabook aren't interested..

It's gone into full blown update mode at the moment so I've left it to it.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

2.5 hours working in the front garden - lawn cut, path cleared of weeds and numerous areas of flower bed tidied; just scratched the surface of what needs doing, however - but it looks vastly improved over what it was.  I would've worked longer but there's something in the front garden that seems to cause snotti'ooteritis when I'm gardening for any period of time.  It's quite possible that may be TMI, however....

In other news....

It seems there is to be a Harry Potter TV Series in 2025/26 - though it'll be on a streaming service called "Max" so I'm guessing that means you'll have to fork out tokens to watch it/subscribe.  Turdycurses.

BG

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All,

Friends came round at short notice today, just as we were about to start the carpet shampooing.  So we didn't get started until after twelve - then it was dinner, and load the car for tomorrow - unlike when we stood the A6 when we had five boxes of bric a brac and four of railway books we've no books, so we can actually get everything into the car without putting the seats down!.

Now going upstairs for a rest.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 16

10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A quick search suggests that POTS*-only households are down to single digit percentages in the US. My landline is fibre to the house with a converter box provided by a local telephone company, to which my traditional telephone is connected. It is separate from my cable (television and internet). I could pay a lot less to consolidate it all.

* Plain Old Telephone System (analog twisted pair)

My mobile** reception is so bad at home that I only use WiFi calling when I use the mobile phone at home.

** Haven't upgraded from my old 4G-LTE telephone

Yes, analog twisted-pair has all but disappeared in the US but a great many people still like to have wireless home phones with answering machines, even if the connection is VOIP. I suspect many of them are like us and refuse to have an expletive mobile/cell-phone implant.

😁

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

This morning I said I was not going to the Battery war event today.  About five minutes after I posted that I changed my mind as I realised I needed an item from a shop and at the moment the nearest shop is further than a comfortable walking distance, so I needed the car.  However just doing that would not get the car warmed up so I decided to go to the beach and see if I could park.  I found a space about 50 yards from the event so I had a brief walk around and took a few photos.  I notice that this year it is billed as "Blyth Battery goes to war weekend" not just WW2, so I presume that explains the Land Rovers. 

I had a pleasant walk round and took some photos.  I'll put some of them in this post and some more either later today in another post or tomorrow.  I think some of the reenactors could lose a bit of weight to look more realistic.  There was one in Home Guard uniform who looked remarkably like "Captain Mainwaring" in Dad's Army, but I didn't manage to get a photo.    The photos are not captioned as I was not always sure exactly what the things were, I am sure many of you will know morw than me.  As usual there were also people dressed as Americans, Germans, French and Italians.

I was back home quite quickly and then had coffee and looked at my photos as I planned. At noon I heard a series of explosions and the sound of rifle and machine gun fire along with a deeper and slightly slower gun firing in the distance as the battle commenced.  The usual scenario is that the Germans are trying to invade from the beach and have to be beaten back.  They always lose.

While having lunch I had a text from friends nearby who had gone out and left their bathroom window open to let a wasp escape asking me to see if had got out and then close the window.  Afterwards I cleaned the car windows and checked the levels and then potted up the tomato plant and moved things round in the greenhouse.  I also took the tulips out of the tubs and pots - this peat free compost makes removing them much easier, it has a much lighter texture.

When I went in I noticed seven sparrows and a young starling all trying to bathe in the bird bath at the same time.  After all that activity (!) I sat down and read the paper and a magazine until cup of tea time.  The rest of the day should be a little bit of TV and a read of a book.

Now some photos.  It was quite misty because of a sea fret which was helpful as much of the background was obscured.  All the photos were taken on the Links just behind the promenade and beach.

IMG_9546Blyth.JPG.ea1bb5cf1c8b19607836c54f003df18d.JPG

IMG_9547Blyth.JPG.afb7b8215f332833388c04f49db82b32.JPG

IMG_9548Blyth.JPG.14c51feb148754d711bd79fbd7d309d4.JPG

IMG_9549Blyth.JPG.cd561e4b37601cc5a3d765e73953c0c1.JPG

IMG_9551Blyth.JPG.09a1c19668f716df8cc6d8535255e07a.JPG

Above: the Germans - they are all English dressed up.

IMG_9553Blyth.JPG.938a9006eeab37c8b835492c1ec970db.JPG

More later

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

A bright sunny start to the day here in England’s northwest corner, the current temperature is 10C but it’s expected to reach 29C later this afternoon. We will shortly be setting off to collect Ava and then we’ll all go to the Trafford Centre, Ava wants to visit Waterstones, so I’ll have a look whilst we’re there. We’ll also go for a drink and a slice whilst we’re there, after all, it would be rude not to! After dinner, the plan is for Ava and I to make some flapjacks. 

Back later.

Brian

29C does seem a bit toasty. Maybe 19C ?

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

The sight of a deep red colour across the garden tempted me out with my new camera aka 'phone into Pollenland earlier this afternoon.

IMG_7108.jpeg.1bffbfb2f1192e87b239941b597d6da5.jpeg

All three flowerheads still in good shape although the stems seem to be struggling to stand up still - probably due to lack of sufficient rainfall.

IMG_7122.jpeg.3d60c9cef4b688c48fbb872ac01698ea.jpeg

The bluebells now have a droopy head.IMG_7113.jpg.ca18cb3fb42454ac2728677fbd83b9da.jpg

And the hawthorn is filling out wonderfully.

IMG_7120b.jpg.eba6a9ccf2707c8706f3448201585b46.jpg

The iris is yet to blossom forth.

Time for a mugadecaf again.

Polly

Edited by southern42
droopy - not roopy!
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, DaveF said:

IMG_9546Blyth.JPG.ea1bb5cf1c8b19607836c54f003df18d.JPG

The bike closer to the camera most definitely isn't WW2 era - 1970's (or possibly even 80's? at a guess) - CCM or Bombardier British Army Bike at a guess.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Many years ago I heard a broadcast about a BBC announcer not wanting to cock up pronouncing Rimsky-Korsakov, so he practiced and practiced and eventually got it right. Come the broadcast he got the name right but announced the piece as “The Bum of the Flightle Bee”

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/05/20/up-a-bit-the-progress-looks-unstable/

• Like 4
  • Funny 15

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

(My emphasis) - see below

Wishful thinking WB, but no.

A few things come immediately to mind - which, given the Bear’s age, are definitely possible Dx. They are:

• Postural hypotension
  • Hypoglycaemia
  • Electrolyte imbalance

Of the three, postural hypotension seems to be the most likely: repeated bending down and straightening up (or extended bending over then rapidly straightening up) will cause a temporary drop in BP leading to reduced cerebral perfusion leading to dizziness. Hypoglycaemia is possible, but would depend on the Bear’s pre-gardening blood glucose levels and Bear would have to have been really sweating like a pig to have excreted in his sweat enough electrolytes to cause an imbalance.

There ARE other reasons for such dizziness (and for postural hypotension for that matter) some quite serious indeed.

If it happens again, you (Bear) should get it checked out. Better safe than sorry!.

p.s. CAKE is NOT an acceptable or recognised treatment for hypoglycaemia; a glucose syrup can be administered by mouth or glucose can be administered intravenously (furthermore, just in case you’re wondering, there’s no such thing as intravenous cake either)

Sorry Bear I was keeping it light-hearted but the departments consultant bobbed in, after doing a round on the golf course and insisted on giving you a diagnosis  

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, PupCam said:

Manually tracking such a relatively fast moving target is tricky on an equatorial mount and I was amazed that I managed to get a "bright blob" in any of the frames at all. 

I have a hard enough time tracking the ISS with binoculars let alone a telescope. While its apparent speed is not 'meteoric' it does move fast.

With a telescope by the time I'm all set up with the moon, it has moved.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Today is supposed to be cooler than yesterday, heading for a high of 27°C.  This morning however feels much warmer than yesterday and is (approaching noon) already 24°C.  It's much nicer than it was a week ago, but still very dry. 

Today should be the ninth consecutive day over 80°F / 26°C, which I believe is a record for May and very unusual at this time of year.

Portland's biggest outdoor festival (The Rose Festival) begins next weekend. The Rose Festival is inevitably dreary and wet - parades get rained on and the midway attractions turn the waterfront park into mud. It will be interesting to see if that is the case this year.

Here sun is shining. The tennis in Roma is rained out (again, as it has for days making it very hard to catch a match live) and the PGA Championship golf tournament in upstate New York is being played in drenched, sodden conditions which are not conducive to great golf. My irrigation system is now on for the season, but the garden could use some rain.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Belated afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Like NHN I've spent the whole day knackered so nothing has been done, except watch TV or more accurately fall asleep while doing so. Dinner is therefore going to be a couple of slices of quiche heated in the microwave.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16